1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End 4x4 Suspension Rattles

Old 10-20-2014, 02:54 AM
thumpertech
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front End 4x4 Suspension Rattles

I have a 1999 F250 4x4 crew cab SWB with a 7.3L diesel. It has just over 297000 miles and still runs like a top. However, I have noticed over the last few months, there is a definite rattle in the front end primarily if a slight bump in the road is hit or going over a set of railroad tracks, that sort of thing. I took it in and had new wheel bearings put in, front rotors turned and new disc pads installed and everything checked out, but I still have the rattle. No one seems to be able to hear what I am hearing, but I drive the pickup every day, so I notice even the slightest change in its performance.

I have had it checked for the infamous "death wobble" but that checks out too. I don't use my 4x4 that often, so I have wondered if I have the front drive line u-joints going out or the independent u joints at each wheel, acting up. The only problem with that theory, is that those joints don't pop and crackle when the wheels get turned sharp like I have seen in the past.

I have to be missing something or am just not knowledgeable enough to figure it out, but no one I have talked to has any idea what I am talking about or can hear what this crazy sound I am hearing.

Any ideas of things to check, quirky items that may be the root cause, or just someone that can offers some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!!

Old 10-20-2014, 06:16 AM
hodge5
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
You aren't crazy. Parts wear out, and I am surprised that your shop isn't willing to lift the truck, unload the weight from the front suspension, and start checking parts. It could be worn track bar bushings, shock mounts, spring eye bushings, sway bar bushings and end links, something else, or a combination. With those miles, you will have worn parts- that's as sure as the sunrise. It is much more likely to be worn suspension parts than u-joints.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:16 PM
thumpertech
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hodge5:

Thanks for your input and reinforcement of my suspicions. I have thought for sometime that what I was hearing was the sway bar bushings and/or the rear set of spring eye bushings. I guess i am just going to need to be a little more diligent in getting the pickup up on a lift. I normally do the majority of maintenance and repairs myself, so I don't have it in the shop that often. This mode of repairs has served me well thus far, however, this is reaching into a realm greater than my knowledge and quite honestly I don't have some of the required tools to properly do this kind of repair.

Thanks again for your input, and you have confirmed what I felt was the cause of the rattle. I guess all I needed was a second opinion. I am going to get this checked out.

I appreciate your assistance.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:20 PM
hodge5
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Absolutely! I have received my share of help on forums; what comes around should go around!

Old 10-26-2014, 10:29 PM
JNG6
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thumpertech....I have the exact same issue. I have replaced the sway bar bushings, drop links, drag link and went through the hubs and replaced the needle bearings and seals. I have had the front end up on jack stands several times and the only thing I can find is some excessive movement in the steering box, everything else seems in good shape. I feel your pain.....Seriously frustrating!

Did you ever figure out what the issue was? Anyone have a test procedure for the leaf spring bushings and shock mounts?

Old 10-28-2014, 11:29 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
When I get a rattle up front my first check is always the sway bar end links (bars that connect between the frame and the sway bar). That is usually the problem since I off-road a lot and most times do not disconnect the sway bar. That usually destroys the rubber bushings in short order (someday I'll get some polyurethane ones) and I buy a new set of end links.

I also have that same rattle when I go over bumps and it isn't the end links this time. It sounds like something with the leaf springs but I can't find any issues. Have you found the culprit yet?