1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Ripped off by a FTE "friend"

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 01:29 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear your trouble bud. Hope all this works out. I hate conflict. IF this person is advertising this item on FTE I would hope a moderator would contact you and get the details so their item can be removed from the for sale area. hint hint... I also would have to fight my urge to go on an "out back" trip with the guy.

What's that??? You don't have my part? Can you fly? Wanna think about that before I toss ya??

to quote a famous action hero...."one thought he was invincible the other thought he could fly....they were both wrong"

NOTE: my comments are merely for entertainment purposes and not intended to suggest harming another individual

Old 10-20-2014, 01:32 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
Sorry to hear about the troubles, I do my best when selling parts to ANYONE, but sometimes sticks get in the spokes. Maybe things will turn around.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:18 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
I am sorry to hear about your troubles. I had a similar experience a few years back on a Mustang forum. I did want to mention a few things that made a difference in my situation.

First of all, I personally would not name the person that ripped you off on this open forum or through any other written communication. I am not sure about the laws of Australia but it can open you up to future legal action, regardless if you are in the right or not.

Secondly, be careful engaging in any talk, even hypothetical, about getting revenge against the person. Again, you open yourself up to legal problems. The village mob mentality feels good sometimes (I have my pitchfork ready) but you never know when the wrong thing is said to the wrong person. I personally mentioned on that forum that I would "see the guy someday at a show and make sure he wasn't happy when I left." That fine gentleman reported me for making threats. I was removed from that forum and threatened with legal action. The $450 I was out was not worth the hassle, risk and loss. Karma will ultimately get the guy. Remember, if the guy is willing to screw you over once, he most likely is willing to do it again.

I have had dealings with various members of this forum and I must say they have all been positive. I did decide long ago though that since advice on here is free I should keep my business (read money) transactions away from FTE. I consider some on here to be "friends" and in real life I don't do business with friends. Just my .02. I wish you the best and hope it works out for you.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:24 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I recall an Aussie guy getting called out on the HAMB, wonder if it's the same guy? Seems like he was the equivalent of Bob's F-100.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:32 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Originally Posted by teardropty
I am sorry to hear about your troubles. I had a similar experience a few years back on a Mustang forum. I did want to mention a few things that made a difference in my situation.

First of all, I personally would not name the person that ripped you off on this open forum or through any other written communication. I am not sure about the laws of Australia but it can open you up to future legal action, regardless if you are in the right or not.

Secondly, be careful engaging in any talk, even hypothetical, about getting revenge against the person. Again, you open yourself up to legal problems. The village mob mentality feels good sometimes (I have my pitchfork ready) but you never know when the wrong thing is said to the wrong person. I personally mentioned on that forum that I would "see the guy someday at a show and make sure he wasn't happy when I left." That fine gentleman reported me for making threats. I was removed from that forum and threatened with legal action. The $450 I was out was not worth the hassle, risk and loss. Karma will ultimately get the guy. Remember, if the guy is willing to screw you over once, he most likely is willing to do it again.

I have had dealings with various members of this forum and I must say they have all been positive. I did decide long ago though that since advice on here is free I should keep my business (read money) transactions away from FTE. I consider some on here to be "friends" and in real life I don't do business with friends. Just my .02. I wish you the best and hope it works out for you.
Thanks for the advice, appreciate it. And thank you all for your interest. As suggested above I don't intend to name him, just needed to get it off my chest.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:55 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why don't you suggest he take up a career selling encyclopedias?

Old 10-20-2014, 07:03 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
We all are aware of the "feedback" area of this site, are we not?
Trading Feedback - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 10-20-2014, 07:48 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 465 Likes on 301 Posts
I read a similar post on the HAMB years ago...as it turned out the offender had a shop within a few blocks of me. I offered to go over to his place and see why he was not living up to the deal he had made. When I got to the shop I first spoke with his partner...he immediately got the offender out from the back of the shop and read him the riot act right in front of me. He made him swear to me that the deal would be completed by the close of business...which it did. Needless to say having a local "bloke" available to pay a personal visit to an offender can definitely bring a "rat out of his hole". Good luck!

Old 10-20-2014, 08:25 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
I read a similar post on the HAMB years ago...as it turned out the offender had a shop within a few blocks of me. I offered to go over to his place and see why he was not living up to the deal he had made. When I got to the shop I first spoke with his partner...he immediately got the offender out from the back of the shop and read him the riot act right in front of me. He made him swear to me that the deal would be completed by the close of business...which it did. Needless to say having a local "bloke" available to pay a personal visit to an offender can definitely bring a "rat out of his hole". Good luck!
I have visited him a number of times, guess I can't do the standover tactics as I just got fobbed off. He had to buy these parts I mentioned here and kept saying "they haven't turned up yet, don't know why, but when they do I will send them to you". Obviously they did, and he didn't. I am too humiliated at the depths of my stupidity to say too much, but it has gone on way too long and involved more than one lot of parts ripoffs. Even when I finally realised, I couldn't make any progress. Hopefully do some good this time around.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:48 PM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
No reason to be humiliated, when you start playing with old cars you'll end up buying a lot of parts sight unseen, and having to pay up front. Most of the time it's fine, occasionally it's not. Nothing to be ashamed of though.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:50 PM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch

Ray,

I had no clue that section was there!

Thanks for making me aware of it.

I have yet to be ripped off by anyone here or on The Hamb. I have however been on the seller side of the equation. Several times I have been asked to take multiple pictures of parts, weigh stuff, get shipping prices and then have the buyer back out. It is frustrating to put time into it and then the buyer back out.

Happened twice with the same guy once, gave him the benefit of the doubt and same results. I try to price things fair and be honest when I sell. If it has a low "junk" price it is probably junk. What do you expect?

Old 10-20-2014, 09:17 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
For all the purchases made through this site, this section isn't used nearly enough. I'll even admit that I've done two sales through here and didn't even glance through to check for names. I'm sure there's plenty of prolific sellers and buyers here that aren't even on there.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:27 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
Originally Posted by fladoodle
For all the purchases made through this site, this section isn't used nearly enough. I'll even admit that I've done two sales through here and didn't even glance through to check for names. I'm sure there's plenty of prolific sellers and buyers here that aren't even on there.
And one of the sales went very well!

Old 10-21-2014, 12:35 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was involved in a situation here several years ago where a member from Australia purchased a 53 F100 via ebay. The seller sent him copies of the pink slip/ registration and took the members $3500, but never sent the truck to Australia. The member posted pictures of the truck with a license plate number (CA). Well, 25 years of law enforcement paid off. I discovered the truck was in Aqua dulce, CA in some lost canyon. The guy was surprised to see me, and the Aussie member did end up getting the truck. He was surprised I found it, and it cost him an additional $1500 to ship it back to Australia. This is a cool site with several good people in it. I had some bad experiences with several members as well and that was one of the reasons I left this forum. I've made several friends in here and probably could not have built my truck without the expertise from several members in here, however there are a share of bad people that will ruin a good thing.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:56 AM
Aus56
Elder User
Originally Posted by imlowr2
I was involved in a situation here several years ago where a member from Australia purchased a 53 F100 via ebay. The seller sent him copies of the pink slip/ registration and took the members $3500, but never sent the truck to Australia. The member posted pictures of the truck with a license plate number (CA). Well, 25 years of law enforcement paid off. I discovered the truck was in Aqua dulce, CA in some lost canyon. The guy was surprised to see me, and the Aussie member did end up getting the truck. He was surprised I found it, and it cost him an additional $1500 to ship it back to Australia. This is a cool site with several good people in it. I had some bad experiences with several members as well and that was one of the reasons I left this forum. I've made several friends in here and probably could not have built my truck without the expertise from several members in here, however there are a share of bad people that will ruin a good thing.
My mechanic, who works on a lot of American import cars, told me a story of a bloke, I believe he knew this guy but maybe not, who paid $100 thousand dollars for a car from USA that never arrived. I was fortunate, I met the bloke I bought my car off. While I reckon I jumped in too easy, I paid too much, and it wasn't as good as I had hoped in some ways, we email from time to time and my wife and I enjoy communicating with him. He is an older bloke than me with 9 interesting cars. That story kind of backs up my being a soft touch doesn't it.

I have spoken with the member about the items I mentioned and am assured that they will be sent tomorrow. I am looking forward to them arriving soon.

Quick Reply: Ripped off by a FTE "friend"