1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1954 F-100 (R)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:17 AM
Daniels54
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I've looked into Bob's suspension kits, and they seem straight forward. I've seen their kits through custom classic trucks and classic trucks magazine. My vision for this truck has been to lower it and install an air ride kit and i would need an IFS and Four Link to do so. Eventually when my new power train is worn, I would want to replace it with some thing more modern with more power and a suspension that can handle it. I do a majority of freeway driving, around 60 miles a day, so ease of driving is always nice. I have access to people who weld as a profession through my work and I'm hoping before my choose any kind of IFS kit within the next few years I can have enough skill to not completely take weld on kits off the table.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:52 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Daniel,
Here is the thread about Bob's F-100 just so you have as much information on the vendor. We bought our Mustang II suspension from No Limit Engineering out in Southern California.

Good luck over there.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...obs-f100s.html

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 10-20-2014, 12:18 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great work on your truck. I do hope someone in the know
will post some links explaining why you need to stay away
from Bob's. "A fool and his money is soon parted."

Thanks Ben. We posted at the same time me thinks.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:08 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniels54
Thanks for the reply. I've looked into Bob's suspension kits, and they seem straight forward. I've seen their kits through custom classic trucks and classic trucks magazine. My vision for this truck has been to lower it and install an air ride kit and i would need an IFS and Four Link to do so. Eventually when my new power train is worn, I would want to replace it with some thing more modern with more power and a suspension that can handle it. I do a majority of freeway driving, around 60 miles a day, so ease of driving is always nice. I have access to people who weld as a profession through my work and I'm hoping before my choose any kind of IFS kit within the next few years I can have enough skill to not completely take weld on kits off the table.
You'll soon learn that Classic Trucks magazine will wh0re for any advertiser that will buy ad space. Their how to articles are just infomercials in print.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:42 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Hey Daniel great job! I enjoyed that, you are doing a fabulous job on that truck, for now just rebuild that front end(axel brakes king pins wheel bearings) and it should be fine, I have the original front axel on my 56 and I use it as a daily driver, of course I'm probably more rural than you, but that is part of the charm of the old stuff! Great job on your truck and congrats!

Old 10-20-2014, 11:02 PM
Daniels54
Senior User
Thanks for this info on Bobs, don't want to support someone who takes advantage of others. All the work going into these trucks doesn't deserve to be squandered by a person without integrity.

I've seen No Limit's products and the 55 silver bullet. Just a little pricey. I'll just save up for a few more months and get something better

I have the parts for the front end rebuild for the front stock suspension. I'm just quite used to modern handling trucks. My father has a 1953 bel air, when i first drove that, no power steering and three on the tree was a nightmare, but now thats easy compared to the bear the truck is to turn.

I've also talked to someone at a good guys car show about tightening the stock steering box to reduce the amount of play in the steering wheel. Ive never heard of it before this. Can any one attest to this?

Thanks for all the feedback

Old 10-21-2014, 12:11 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniels54
I've also talked to someone at a good guys car show about tightening the stock steering box to reduce the amount of play in the steering wheel. Ive never heard of it before this. Can any one attest to this?

Thanks for all the feedback
The adjustment for the steering box is in the Shop Manual for the 48 -52. I would think it's in the SM for your year too.

Great thread by the way...

Old 10-21-2014, 07:13 AM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
Great build you have there. I enjoyed the pics and details

Old 10-21-2014, 08:33 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
You'll soon learn that Classic Trucks magazine will wh0re for any advertiser that will buy ad space. Their how to articles are just infomercials in print.
That is a pretty high-minded & superior position to to take. Somehow in your oft published resume I don't recall professional publisher being included. Perhaps a late life career of actually putting out a real print magazine in an ever vanishing market?

Magazine publishing actually being a legally sanctioned commercial enterprise (rather than an purely altruistic endeavor to entertain and inform a increasingly shrinking segment of society) should not be considered "wh0ring".

With the advent of virtually free information (and the massively varied reliability of said info) from the web, a near extinction of real, hold in your hands specialty automotive journalism is occurring.

The ability of a publication to actually go and select, buy & build, them publish results of a new technology or technique with only the funds from subscription or rack sales to support it & NOT without donation of manufactures is nearly impossible.

I've decried the lessening & dumbing down of automotive journalism tech on this site before. But there are some simplistic levels I won't drop to.

To the OP, get your info where you can. Evaluate its worth on your own. Spend a few dollars on good mags. And like this site, support the advertisers.

Sorry for the rant, but two of my favorite publications just got canceled & I haven't even gotten a refund for my unfulfilled issues of Popular Hot Rodding & Custom Classic Trucks

Source Interlink Media Folds Lays Off Nearly 100 Employees | Media - Advertising Age

Old 10-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice! Way to go NORCAL. Beware some of the "suppliers" of used stuff in Socal. Many complaints have been voiced on this site. I recommend buying parts from locals and members here if possible. Thanks for keeping it a Ford!

Jag

Old 10-21-2014, 10:15 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
IMHO there is a big difference between using advertiser supplied parts on a magazine build and publishing advertiser written infomercials disguised as an editorial review. The latter should be highlighted as advertising. I too lament the loss of hard copy magazines, (like my beloved Rod and Custom for the third time. I've been reading it since it was 1/2 size.) but such is the internet age, you evolve or die. No I don't come from a publishing background, but I can't feel sorry for publications that recycle articles and features within families of enthusiast magazines then wonder why the readership has fallen off. I don't need to spend 6.00 each to see the same in several titles. I once subscribed to > 30 different magazines but now I'm down to three.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:32 PM
Daniels54
Senior User
Hey all, little bit of progress/planning on my end this weekend, not a lot of work. Drove around a little bit picked up some parts. Designed some stuff getting ready for an upcoming show in November in San Jose.

First order of business is i picked up some exhaust adapters, I have 2" pipes on there right now and am getting a pair of glass packs from my Dad's coworker. I'm sure the neighbors will love them as much as I do, especially leaving at 6 in the morning

Adapters. They have a nasty burr on them, working in a fabrication shop. It doesn't take that much effort to clean up a part after it's clean. Maybe I'm just being picky, but ill clean them up tomorrow at work.

What I'll be installing, most likely tomorrow evening!

Next I'm starting to clean up a little of my wiring and interior, trying to neaten it up. I bought a 21 circuit wiring harness. So I have a lot of wirings that are not hooked up, But a lot that are and just have yet to be routed neatly.

Yikes!

Next I started making a cardboard template of the gauge cluster. I have some AutoMeter gauges to run. I don't have the money to get Dakota VHX gauges quite yet. So in order to save some money, I'm going to make a billet at the shop. I could get one, but $100+ for a piece of metal with some holes is not worth that much.

Template cutout and some caliper measurements to try and estimate the top angle.

Being that the punch press can only punch through 1/8" aluminum, I'm going to double up, having two pieces. One will fit through the cutout in the dash, the other will get tack welded behind it and act as a lip from the back. I will punch four 2 1/16" holes and one 3 3/8" to fit the gauges. Going to mill some horizontal groves in to give it a little added touch, and then get it sent off to plating.

I'll update how the exhaust goes on, if glass packs even count as that, and then the progress on the gauge billet within the next few days.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:32 AM
Elmo4895
Senior User
Nice truck and good work on your part. I have a stock 54 and am always looking for ideas. Mine will be red as it was red origionally, mostly primer now.
Elmo

Old 10-27-2014, 02:05 AM
SVT-F100
Tuned

Always enjoy seeing some great work going down. Congrats, great truck and keep the progress flowing..

Old 10-27-2014, 10:53 AM
Daniels54
Senior User
Thanks Elmo, it would be great to see your 54! i love seeing other projects

Thanks, SVT F-100, seen your progress and your build is awesome!

Quick Reply: 1954 F-100 (R)