Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

Headers for my 390 ci f600

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 10:21 PM
Notmeofficer
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Headers for my 390 ci f600

So I just finished the motor for one of my f600s.. its a 390..nicely built for HD use..the truck is a 1974 bodystyle

I wonder if anyone has ever used headers...

I was thinking of using full length block huggers.. Sandersons..for example.. which are made for the light duty rigs..

Has anyone ever tried using headers on your HD truck?.. as people may know sourcing reasonably priced good quality cast iron manifolds is difficult at best

Thanks

Old 10-19-2014, 08:31 AM
GJCAT
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Headers for 390

Instead of headers you might consider using a set of FT manifolds. You can have the crossover ports closed off and bolt them to the 390 heads. I have done this and they work very well.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:46 AM
80broncoman
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GJCAT
Instead of headers you might consider using a set of FT manifolds. You can have the crossover ports closed off and bolt them to the 390 heads. I have done this and they work very well.
X2 on that. The Med duty truck manifolds always are a lot bigger and flow better than those of the lighter truck manifolds on the same engine series ,...and this is all brands.

Header flanges are known to warp some over time. If you are going to have any high loads, i believe the headers will fall apart quickly at least the ones you can find for a 390 Truck.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:31 AM
Notmeofficer
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 80broncoman
X2 on that. The Med duty truck manifolds always are a lot bigger and flow better than those of the lighter truck manifolds on the same engine series ,...and this is all brands.

Header flanges are known to warp some over time. If you are going to have any high loads, i believe the headers will fall apart quickly at least the ones you can find for a 390 Truck.
I would generally agree... although a couple of good builders make heavy duty ones out of 14 gauge tubes...and 3/8" flanges...

There are also dorman repos for the 390... but I doubt their quality.

I'd love a set of Shelby cast iron ones... but Im not wealthy... and excellent ones are Sky's the limit what the market will bear...
Thanks

Old 10-25-2014, 09:30 PM
80broncoman
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Notmeofficer
I would generally agree... although a couple of good builders make heavy duty ones out of 14 gauge tubes...and 3/8" flanges...

There are also dorman repos for the 390... but I doubt their quality.

I'd love a set of Shelby cast iron ones... but Im not wealthy... and excellent ones are Sky's the limit what the market will bear...
Thanks
The 390 manifolds used on pickups and cars are Nothing like the ones used on FT trucks. The FT manifolds are MUCH bigger and flow MUCH more.

Even when Ford put the 300 six in a F600 truck it got a bigger Exh manifold.

I doubt the Shelby manifolds would flow much more than the FT manifolds.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:19 PM
Notmeofficer
Laughing Gas
Here's a couple of pictures of what Im up against

Normal 390 pickup headers wont work ..I believe,, because of steering box clearance...

I then looked at blockhuggers and they MIGHT fit..
Passenger side should be no problem as there appears to be lots of room.. and even if there is starter clearance issues I can do a hi torque mini starter

Im looking at these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301223465519?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
They are made out of 3/8 flanges..plenty tough for a truck

drivers side

pass side

motor in chassis.. still needs to go back that final inch.. and I cant do it by myself.. the wife is willing but you all know.. thats frustrating at best.. so Im waiting for a buddy to come and help me with the last inch.. always the hardest one...

Drivers side.. its tight I think but I wont know until I actually put one of the huggers in there.. I can change the clutch return spring by shortening it... that would give me an inch.. obviously the steering box is fixed

And pass side.. looks like there's plenty of room for many different exhaust types... of course starter may be an issue

4 x 4 headers dont work... my other options are limited

Old 10-26-2014, 04:19 PM
frankcowan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you look at Flowtech headers for mid 1960's 2WD pickups. The flange is thick and on many applications have enough steering box clearance. They are not shorties more like 3/4 full length.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:37 PM
Notmeofficer
Laughing Gas
Yes... I have looked at flowtechs,,, the ones you posted . I think the drivers side doesn't kick forward enough at the rear most pipe ,... but I'll have to try a set first before the huggers, I would go full length if I could but I just don't think any will adapt and miss the Trans and cross member

Thanks for the suggestion

Old 11-09-2014, 07:10 PM
Notmeofficer
Laughing Gas
So I tried the flowtechs because the Oriellys guys are very good to me..and let me try the different versions with no hassle taking them back(of course I was careful to handle them nicely so the next guy doesnt get a scratched product)

I ordered all the ford 65-79 sets..
2 x 2 and 4 x 4

The 2 x 2 sets went right into the crossmember and went out the window right away

The light duty 4 x 4 set fit without a hassle using a mini starter on the passenger side.. A full size starter might work if I wanted to fuss with it,, but even if I got it in it wouldnt last under the heat so close,, the mini starters from summit are clockable as well.. putting the selenoid as far from the heat as possible.

The drivers side rear most tube touched the clutch cross bracket so you couldnt push the clutch in... they would work if remake the clutch crossover clearancing for the headers

The 12542flt 4 x 4 versions ended up nicely about 2 inches under the tranny crossmember.. perfect shot to the back

BUT.. and this is a killer.. the flowtechs are crappy made.. 5/16 flanges and 18 ga pipes... they wont last long even in the ceramic coated version... and I would still have to use something else so that I didnt violate warranty for break-in on the new engine

I really liked hedmans elite heavy duty series...3/8 flanges.. 14 ga tubes...heavy duty made for towing and motor homes... but they only come in the 2 wd version that puts the collecter square into the crossmember

I looked at hooker... sandersons... some of the smaller companies.. but no one makes a heavy duty version that seems to be a match.. at least not that I have found.. it needs to be the 4 x 4 version long tube.. it has a drop and a second drop... like the picture above

Im still open to suggestions.. Ill look at my ft manifold... they are in excellent condition.. Im not sure I understand closing off the port.. the best way how to accomplish that.. and if they wouldnt leak thereafter..

I have a set of dorman repo fe ones coming.. I can see they are way more restrictive and thats what I read in the fe ft exhaust bible article.. it may be the best compromise for me.. I can make a killer nice exhaust from there back...

Im still debating the shorty stainless univerals... Ive tried to take measurements off of the picture as none are available... looks like they potentialy might go into the steering box ..I cant tell.. it may be the case of buying them and then returning them kind of deal

Thanks

Old 11-09-2014, 09:51 PM
80broncoman
Laughing Gas
Maybe one of the smaller companys (sanderson, hooker, headman,...)would be interested in making a set bent like the flotechs but made to last. Don't forget to check with Hooker headers.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:03 PM
68Mercury250Ranger
Laughing Gas
I have a set of 406/427 cast iron longtube header in nice shape, I know they won't fit in an F100-350 with an FE (tried it)but never even thought of a medium duty chassis with the cab sitting higher on the chassis. I was building a 67 Mercury M700, but going to use a 98 F800 chassis now with a diesel. they aren't cheap but I do have a buddy with a 76 F600 we could test fit them on . they might outlast your engine if they fit.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:43 AM
Notmeofficer
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 68Mercury250Ranger
I have a set of 406/427 cast iron longtube header in nice shape, I know they won't fit in an F100-350 with an FE (tried it)but never even thought of a medium duty chassis with the cab sitting higher on the chassis. I was building a 67 Mercury M700, but going to use a 98 F800 chassis now with a diesel. they aren't cheap but I do have a buddy with a 76 F600 we could test fit them on . they might outlast your engine if they fit.
I'd love to see a picture of them if you're so inclined....
Thanks

Old 11-10-2014, 05:22 PM
80broncoman
Laughing Gas
Thanks
did sanderson or anyone else sell any "block hugger" headers for a FE?
You have what looks like plenty of room for them(with the front engine mount),...in fact they are usually short and some times you can swap right side for left side to get a better outlet location as well.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:06 AM
68Mercury250Ranger
Laughing Gas
Thanks
damn this is the only pic I can find, they are stashed in a storage van pic taken while I was filling it up.
I took some and posted them on a ford Website I frequent, I'll go have a look around. I've had them since 1984 ish, got them at Carlisle and carried them around a while
they have been in the rafters of the shed for many years.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:16 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
I vote for FT manifolds, they dump in the middle- Y pipe Napa- is stronger
& bigger than wimpy FE's. For what its worth, I had a friend with a C80
dump truck with a 427. So he put headers. about a month he put the
cast iron manifolds back on. All that thing did with headers, was burn
spark plug wires just sayin

Quick Reply: Headers for my 390 ci f600