6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

<Sob>My truck getting worse instead of better

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 05:45 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
Does that accumulation make it dangerous to run with the hot CAC tube reinstalled? I want to do as Bryan has suggested and run it with just the cold side CAC off and rags to catch the oil/fuel that is pumped out.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:46 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What does it smell and taste like? lol

Good job on narrowing it down!

Old 10-22-2014, 05:53 PM
56fordfella
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the liquid fuel or oil? If it is a combination is the consistency more fuel than oil or vice versa? To tell just rub it between your fingers (I know that's obvious and not ment to insult you but you said you have no machnical background) and make the best determination of which it feels the most like.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:56 PM
56fordfella
Posting Guru
Oh Restlesswildman beat me to it. Lol It will taste bad though...

Old 10-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 56fordfella
Oh Restlesswildman beat me to it. Lol It will taste bad though...
I love doing that to people!!

When I worked in a Garage years ago and folks would come in with a leak and you couldn't tell it was taste test time! lol

I would wet my finger sniff it, just like on Caddy shack. It it had zero odor, a dab on the tongue and you would know! lol

Old 10-22-2014, 06:27 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Restlesswildman
I love doing that to people!!

When I worked in a Garage years ago and folks would come in with a leak and you couldn't tell it was taste test time! lol

I would wet my finger sniff it, just like on Caddy shack. It it had zero odor, a dab on the tongue and you would know! lol

Well, dang, I don't know what either diesel or oil tastes like, and there wasn't enough accumulation to get a real good feel, but my best guess is that it's mostly, if not all, oil.

What does that mean? gotta go walk the dog, back shortly.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:46 PM
56fordfella
Posting Guru
I'm sure the dog says thank you. As to the touch test, I will let others say for sure...but I believe if it is only oil that is ok because that is the side of the turbo that the crank case vents to. When I took mine off it looked a whole lot worse than yours. Mine looked like oil was poured in it.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:39 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 56fordfella
I'm sure the dog says thank you. As to the touch test, I will let others say for sure...but I believe if it is only oil that is ok because that is the side of the turbo that the crank case vents to. When I took mine off it looked a whole lot worse than yours. Mine looked like oil was poured in it.

Well, to be fair, I cleaned out that boot real good before running the test, and had already kinda wiped it out yesterday.

If it was a problem, or THE problem, wouldn't it have surged again, or did it require the tube(s) to be in place to create the combustible environment?

It's late now, and I got to go to my mother's funeral in the morning (yes, it's been one of THOSE kinda weeks), but I'd like to try blowing out the intercooler tomorrow afternoon if y'all think it's safe to put the hot side tube back on and run it.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:45 PM
56fordfella
Posting Guru
I'll let the others address your question. My condolences to you and your family.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:59 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
You will always get some oil unless you
have done a mod to the CCV system.
What is happening is any oil vapor in the crankcase
is picked up by the suction from the intake side of
t he turbo. With the crankcase vent removed how
much oil were you seeing from the output side of
the turbo?

Keep at it you making a lot of progress.

Really sorry for you loss.

Sean

Old 10-22-2014, 08:11 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Very sorry for your loss.

2006 F350 4X4

Old 10-22-2014, 08:21 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Thanks, guys. She had a long full life and Alzheimer's was only going to get worse. It was a blessing.

Aaaargh, I didn't have the CCV hose disconnected when I ran that test. I'll start with that tomorrow. Where would the oil come from if not from the CCV? Honestly based on how much oily mess I've seen on my boots prior to all this, I'm guessing what I got today was normal, but I'll confirm tomorrow.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:32 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Turbo oil seal. But I was under the impression they tended
to dump on the exhaust side. But if the compressor side
seal failed it could dome that side also. Then it would feed the beast.

You will have to give it a little time to blow all the oil out before stating
the test. Don't want to count the old leftovers.

Sean

Old 10-22-2014, 11:17 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by IHateCommieCars
Thanks, guys. She had a long full life and Alzheimer's was only going to get worse. It was a blessing.

Aaaargh, I didn't have the CCV hose disconnected when I ran that test. I'll start with that tomorrow. Where would the oil come from if not from the CCV? Honestly based on how much oily mess I've seen on my boots prior to all this, I'm guessing what I got today was normal, but I'll confirm tomorrow.
Sorry to hear about your mom.

That oil doesn't look too bad--but it was from a three minute run. I don't have any experience judging oil from s the minute run. However, it doesn't look like enough to fuel an over rev.

The only two places that oil can come from. The ccv or a bad turbo seal.

Do the test again with the ccv disconnected. Point the ccv to a rag. It the boot comes up oily, its got to be a turbo seal. If dry it is the ccv. if it's the ccv, it looks like you have a lot of blowby ... Indicating decreased compassion in at least on cylinder. The good part is, in my opinion that it's not enough oil to fuel an over rev.

So, you should be able to blow out the intercooler and determine the source of the oil. Your close to getting it running again.

The remaining question is have you lost compression in one or more cylinders? After you run it a while to clean things out, do the starter wire trick to see of it turns evenly. If not, I would run a compression check to confirm what the back yard testing is indicating.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:57 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
QUOTE=BryanStein

Sorry to hear about your mom.

Thank you, sir.

The only two places that oil can come from. The ccv or a bad turbo seal.

OK.

So, you should be able to blow out the intercooler and determine the source of the oil.

IF TURBO DRY, RAG SHOULD HAVE OIL ON IT.

The remaining question is have you lost compression in one or more cylinders? After you run it a while to clean things out, do the starter wire trick to see of it turns evenly.

THOUGHT OF THE SAME THING this evening, but only had a minute and couldn't disconnect one of the batteries, so it spun real fast and sounded OK. Will yank a battery and try it again tomorrow.

If not, I would run a compression check to confirm what the back yard testing is indicating.

I FINALLY GOT the Bluetooth adapter in from China today and will be able to make Torque Pro work on my phone. Haven't messed with the app yet, but I'm hoping it will graph relative compression and cylinder contributiion. I bought a Scan gauge but it's limited. While I understand that relative compression is only an estimated number, it might indicate the place to start my search.

Quick Reply: <Sob>My truck getting worse instead of better