Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Trailer Towing Package

Old 10-17-2014, 07:57 PM
joegeds
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Factory Trailer Towing Package

I read somewhere (I thought the service manual, but I can't find it now) that the trucks with factory trailer towing package had a plug for brake controller in the harness in the dash. I have two questions:
1) Can anyone provide a pic of it, or show me where it is, and
2) Is the plug for the brake controller on all harnesses, just not connected? In other words, it's on all the trucks, but if you had a factory trailer towing package, it is actually "live".

Old 10-17-2014, 08:09 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 223 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by joegeds
1) Can anyone provide a pic of it, or show me where it is,
It is under the ash tray:

2) Is the plug for the brake controller on all harnesses, just not connected? In other words, it's on all the trucks, but if you had a factory trailer towing package, it is actually "live".
It is on all harnesses but if you do not have factory trailer towing package the blue wire stops at the safety wall.
But all of the other wires in the plug are live.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:51 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
just like subford said, its is under the ashtray. I just checked mine but it appears to only have 4 wires....red, green, blue, white. Subford, yours looks like it has 5 with one spot vacant.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:52 PM
krooser
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your 96 should have it… earlier models (maybe 91 and earlier) did not.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:59 PM
joegeds
Elder User
The reason I ask is because my wiring to the rear of my truck is not "neat" at all - spliced wires all over, coming and going from wherever. So I went to the salvage yard and got a factory tow harness that runs from the engine compartment to the back of the truck. Pictured is the end of the harness at the engine compartment. It ends at a box that says "Relay 1" and "Relay 2". Just before that is a grey plug and a black plug. The black plug is unplugged and plugs into one of the caps by the firewall. The grey plug is plugged in and goes back to a 24-pin wiring assembly connector. From there the harness keeps going back. If I simply rip out my old harness and install this one, will everything work? It is from the same year as mine (1996). But mine did not come from the factory with a tow package.

Attached Images  
Old 10-17-2014, 10:04 PM
joegeds
Elder User
By the way SubFord - I went out and checked, and I do have the connector right under the ashtray, it looks exactly like your picture - with 5 wires.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:40 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler
just like subford said, its is under the ashtray. I just checked mine but it appears to only have 4 wires....red, green, blue, white. Subford, yours looks like it has 5 with one spot vacant.
1992-1993 had a 4 Terminal plug and 1994-1996 had a 6 Terminal C210 plug with one Terminal vacant.

/

Old 10-18-2014, 06:45 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
So I went to the salvage yard and got a factory tow harness that runs from the engine compartment to the back of the truck. Pictured is the end of the harness at the engine compartment. It ends at a box that says "Relay 1" and "Relay 2". Just before that is a grey plug and a black plug. The black plug is unplugged and plugs into one of the caps by the firewall. The grey plug is plugged in and goes back to a 24-pin wiring assembly connector. From there the harness keeps going back. If I simply rip out my old harness and install this one, will everything work? It is from the same year as mine (1996). But mine did not come from the factory with a tow package.
Yes it will work OK.

/

Old 10-18-2014, 06:48 AM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Timely post. I'm about to install the controller in my '93 but have a question. Mine does not have the 'tow package' extras. Do I need to install the separate circuit breaker for the controller or will plugging it in to the factory connector be sufficient?

Old 10-18-2014, 07:00 AM
joegeds
Elder User
Originally Posted by subford
Yes it will work OK.

/
Awesome! Thanks for the info SubFord!

Old 10-18-2014, 07:02 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by ddavidv
Timely post. I'm about to install the controller in my '93 but have a question. Mine does not have the 'tow package' extras. Do I need to install the separate circuit breaker for the controller or will plugging it in to the factory connector be sufficient?
No you will not have to install a circuit breaker for the controller but Fuse "T" a 30 amp fuse may be missing in the box under the hood.
As noted above the blue wire will stop at the safety wall.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:08 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Awesome! Thanks for the info SubFord!
Note in 1996 the fuses in the box under the hood have numbers and not letters but the lay out is the same.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:47 AM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
FYI....related topic......it appears that there is no plug made by Tekonsha that connects the under ashtray plug to the Tekonsha brake controller. I just checked on Tekonsha P3 controller and website not available for my model year. So, I guess this means for those that have the '92-'93 plug, the wires would have to be crimped or soldered.

BTW....the adapters appear to be available for years 1994+. Perhaps other brake controller manufacturers offer a 4 pin adapter for their controllers if you must have a plug and play and want to avoid crimping or soldering

Don't want to hijack, but I believe this will assist those with 4 pin plugs ('92-'93)......Subford...what number do the 4 pins plugs have? Ex....your 6 pin is a C210, what would the name of the 4 pin be?

Old 10-18-2014, 10:37 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Subford...what number do the 4 pins plugs have? Ex....your 6 pin is a C210, what would the name of the 4 pin be?
1992-1993 is also C210 in the Ford wiring drawings.
C210 is a connector number and not a manufacturing number.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:58 AM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI....related topic......it appears that there is no plug made by Tekonsha that connects the under ashtray plug to the Tekonsha brake controller. I just checked on Tekonsha P3 controller and website not available for my model year. So, I guess this means for those that have the '92-'93 plug, the wires would have to be crimped or soldered.

BTW....the adapters appear to be available for years 1994+. Perhaps other brake controller manufacturers offer a 4 pin adapter for their controllers if you must have a plug and play and want to avoid crimping or soldering

Don't want to hijack, but I believe this will assist those with 4 pin plugs ('92-'93)......Subford...what number do the 4 pins plugs have? Ex....your 6 pin is a C210, what would the name of the 4 pin be?
I did not find a plug-to-plug adapter for a Tekonsha (same one I have). You will have to do wire-to-wire connecting, but they did make a plug that connects into the ashtray plug with pigtails on it. Unfortunately, the part seems to be discontinued but I found one on Ebay and also Amazon. One brand is Hoppy p/n 47695. This will come up also on AutoZone's web site but if you try to order it they have zero stock. I also tried to get one through NAPA but received the six pin plug instead of the four despite the catalog illustration showing the correct one. 92-93 is certainly a ******* child. I read on a forum somewhere that it may be possible to chop down the six pin connector to work but didn't want to try that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory Trailer Towing Package