1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dad's Dash & Door Trim

Old 10-17-2014, 06:52 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Dad's Dash & Door Trim

Ok, time to think about the dash and door trim for Dad's truck. (No, I'm not ready to install it, but I've been thinking about it quite a bit so....) Originally the truck had Rosewood, but the instrument and radio bezels aren't all that good. And, I'm going with power windows and door locks so will need a bezel on the doors as well - and don't have them.

So, I'm thinking of going with the XLS style trim, although probably homemade. Here's a shot of Kyle's/first today's trim where he did the same thing, although he used real XLS bezels and painted his horn pad to match - and he says it does:

But, assuming I go that way the question becomes what to do on the door. I can make an aluminum panel to go on the door where the switches go, as outlined in the picture below. Also, I'm thinking of going with map pockets, similar to the one shown, and could make an aluminum panel to go in the recess of the map pocket - in the other area outlined.

I've already gotten input from my live-in "creatition", but thought I'd ask your thoughts nonetheless. Is the aluminum panel on the map pockets too much? Is the aluminum for the switches too much? If so, what is the best treatment for those two areas?

Another option on the switch area is to use a non-power door panel, like the one shown above on Rusty, and cut a smaller rectangular hole around the window crank hole and put a smaller aluminum panel there for the switches. (That's not an option on the power door panels as there are slots all around the edge of the area shown with white lines that were used to fasten down the trim panel.)

Thoughts, please?

Old 10-17-2014, 09:02 PM
ctubutis
Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
You know what the plastic fake-wood panels look like that cover up the speaker hold and have the switches - make some that are brushed aluminum and that have a black trim ring along the outer edge instead of the duel pinstripe Ford used on their variants.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by ctubutis
You know what the plastic fake-wood panels look like that cover up the speaker hold and have the switches - make some that are brushed aluminum and that have a black trim ring along the outer edge instead of the duel pinstripe Ford used on their variants.
That's basically what I was thinking - mill a groove in the panel much like the one on the valve covers. But instead of true brushed aluminum I thought I'd paint the panel with the same paint I use on the dash bezels - probably the Krylon Kyle used.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:15 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am going to the junkyard in the morning with a friend of mine. I will search some trucks for decent panels for you to paint.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:25 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Ok, Kyle. Thanks. I do have some panels but most of them have some damage, like screw holes.

Also, Kyle sent me this image he found on the web. Kyle, are they purporting it to be original? How 'bout inserting the link here?

Old 10-18-2014, 12:28 PM
first today
Postmaster

No luck on the trim panels.

I did an image search last night for 1980 to 1986 XLS and found that picture. I looked again and it is a youtube video. It is XLT trim painted aluminum. None of it is from an XLS.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0b_UEWQgjFg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 10-18-2014, 07:56 PM
Brad from Oz
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Gary,
I like the idea of custom aluminium panels with milled borders.

You could get it all dip coated with any design you want, even a image of your dad in a nice spot.

Consider marine carpet on the door pockets aluminium to deal with knocks and scuffs.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:21 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Brad - Let me see if I understand. Use carpet or aluminum on the map pockets to prevents knocks and scuffs from showing? Or use aluminum for that? Not sure what you meant.

All - My buddy Kyle did find a few things at the salvage for me today. First, here's the '81 door panels which he says are in excellent condition. So, if I can find good slide-lock bezels I may just stay with them for the "correctness" or "novelty" - whichever you choose.

Also, as he stated earlier, the trim panels are metal, so I should be able to cut them to take the window and lock switches. Or, I can use them as templates to make the aluminum panels.

Plus, he found a locking hood release - albeit w/o the key. But perhaps I can re-key it or change my keying to it? And, he found an air intake bellows from another vehicle that might work.

Thanks, Kyle!!!!

Old 10-18-2014, 08:55 PM
first today
Postmaster

Gary, I know you will like these.

They are very pliable and no chalky areas. Someone even did me a favor by removing them and leaving them in the Bronco.

The metal panels will make excellent templates. They have some imperfections you can not repair.

Look for the 80's style crown vics for the bellows. I saw one but it was badly deteriorated. This one came from an 84 LTD ll.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:00 PM
ctubutis
Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
My mom had a 1977 LTD II, IIRC those cars were around only a few years, i.e. 77-79.

IOW I don't think there's such thing as a 1984 LTD II, it's like describing a 1986 F100.

Maybe you mean LTD?

Old 10-18-2014, 09:05 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
LTD IIs were built on the old Torino chassis in the late 70s.
LTD Crown Vics were full-sizes in the 80s then there was the "LTD" that was on the Foxbody chassis also in the early mid-80s.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:13 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Kyle - I believe you. And that changes everything as I can now stay with the slide locks - assuming I can find some good ones. And, with the bezels I'll have a good template to use, although I would like to find one with the cutouts for the switches to know exactly where they are - although I can probably wing it if I have to do so.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:20 PM
first today
Postmaster

LTD ll, just like a bronco ll.

I drove one in high school. It rests in our pasture at my parents place.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:40 PM
RL250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Brad - Let me see if I understand. Use carpet or aluminum on the map pockets to prevents knocks and scuffs from showing? Or use aluminum for that? Not sure what you meant.
Gary, my interpretation of Brad's suggestion was to use aluminum on the door panels and carpet on the map pocket. The carpet will not scuff and scratch like either the plastic or the aluminum. If you find a short pile light grey close to the natural aluminum, it could look good and hold up well.

If you go for the aluminum panels, you should do custom speaker holes. Maybe a design to represent your dad? Or maybe have a copy of his signature engraved on the two panels in mirrored locations.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:50 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Critter - That's an interesting idea! I'm sure I have plenty of documents with his signature on them, and I could scan one and then recreate it in CAD. Feed that to my nephew's mill and it would engrave it nicely. Cool!

Another option would be to put an engraved plate on the radio bezel in place of the Ranger XLT emblem. Perhaps something with both of our signatures on. "Custom made by GKL for KRL"?

Forgot: On the carpet idea, why not get additional carpet from the carpet folks to match that on the floor?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dad's Dash & Door Trim