Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

You KNOW It's A Lot Of Work When......

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 10:03 AM
lartross
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did the ball joints and tie rod ends. Not that big of a deal, compared to removing and installing the turbo...

Old 10-18-2014, 10:04 AM
lartross
Elder User
or up[pipes

Old 10-18-2014, 11:10 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I'm going to go with the KYBs, based on you guys that have and like them.

KYB # 565044

They're on their way from Amazon, and should be here this week.

Thanks, all!

Pop

Old 10-25-2014, 07:01 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to find a new guy. With out a lift I can do ***** tie end gear box axle seal both sides in 6 hours. It's not bad but I do have a ball press and have done many.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:28 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

I think he makes far more money during the time he would take to do a ball joint job on my truck. He DID, however, jack it up on both sides and using a long pry bar determined I did NOT need ball joints at all, nor do I need tie rod ends.

Today I put the new KYBs on, put my new spares on the front, moved the fronts to the rear, and made a run on the freeway. The (presumably) wear noise is completely gone. Time to buy two new spares.

I also made a cursory check on the toe value with mason's line, and it came up at about 3/16", which is more than I'd like to see, but it will get onto the alignment rack at 0800 Monday just to be sure.

Since I want to try out XRF ball joints when I DO need them, I'll likely just do them myself, and borrow his press. Yes, it will take me more than six hours, but I know it will be done right (not quick or cheap).

Pop

Old 10-26-2014, 12:03 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
A good job to do at Andy's house Pop. I'd help you out too.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:36 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

If I were going to have to do it at all, THAT would be the venue I would prefer to do it at! LOTS of friendly expertise and assistance there! I'd enjoy your help. We'd probably talk Beechcraft all day, though!

So far, so good, however.

I'm on the road Wednesday for a round-trip to St. Louis, and I'll know more after four thousand miles of interstate driving whether shocks and new tires alone will solve this cupping problem or not.

Pop

Old 10-26-2014, 06:36 AM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to hear the ball joints and tie rods are in good shape. Mine are as well, but I've got severe cupping from worn out dual pro comps on the front. I've known about it, but haven't had the will to tackle it until the next set of tires are due.

As far as ball joints, the biggest issue is separating the hub from the knuckle and making sure the seals are put back on correctly.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:14 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
I think he makes far more money during the time he would take to do a ball joint job on my truck. He DID, however, jack it up on both sides and using a long pry bar determined I did NOT need ball joints at all, nor do I need tie rod ends.

Today I put the new KYBs on, put my new spares on the front, moved the fronts to the rear, and made a run on the freeway. The (presumably) wear noise is completely gone. Time to buy two new spares.

I also made a cursory check on the toe value with mason's line, and it came up at about 3/16", which is more than I'd like to see, but it will get onto the alignment rack at 0800 Monday just to be sure.

Since I want to try out XRF ball joints when I DO need them, I'll likely just do them myself, and borrow his press. Yes, it will take me more than six hours, but I know it will be done right (not quick or cheap).

Pop
Pop I'm glad you like the new shocks ! When I had a FEA done on Blackie the toe was set at 1/8" and it drives straight and corners well, steering is neutral. But I myself would like to put another 1/16" of toe in it just to tighten up the neutral steer just a touch. It might mean alittle more tire wear but I am very picky when it comes to the steering wheel feedback.

I hope these XRF ball joints last longer then the Moogs did, time will tell. Back when I wore a younger man's cloths I could do a front end job in less then a day. But now that I am older, slower and my OCD gets the better of me it took me about 2 days to go through my front end. I've had friends say I'll stop by and give you a hand. I say thank you BUT no thanks. I'm kinda a freak that way I don't want anyone but myself turning wrenchs on my truck. That way I don't have to wonder if it was done right or torqued correctly type of thing. In the past I have had where someone trying to be helpful bite me in the butt.

CA to MO.... NOW that's a road trip !! Is it for business, personal or family? Well I hope you have a safe trip. Don't forget it you make it up to the Chicago area please get ahold of me I would like it if we could get together for lunch or something.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:15 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

The trip to St. Louis is to pull a small, ten-foot enclosed utility trailer full of dog-show stuff to Purina Farms in Gray Summit, MO.

Marge and I are very active in the nation-wide dog rescue for the Springer Spaniel breed ( www.springerrescue.org ), and each year we attend the "Nationals" dog-show with Springer-oriented items to sell at the rescue's booth there as a fundraiser. We have a "captive" audience, for a week or so, and they love buying the Springer things that they find there. The rescue has aligned itself with the top national breeders by attending this show every year, and the breeders really help out during those times we really need a lot of assistance.

There have been times when a governmental agency has had to close down commercial breeding operations, dumping as many as (so far a maximum of) 125 dogs on us at one time. That takes a lot of action in a short time, not-to-mention a lot of money.

We've been involved about fifteen years, and this trip each year is the reason I bought my truck in the first place. Since then, of course, the truck itself has become my other passion!

This should give you a hint about my screen name and avatar.

Pop

Old 10-31-2014, 08:31 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
I just did another set of Dodge offset balljoints today (02 Cummins). Oh how I'd love to give that engineer a swift kick in the front of his pants.......

Old 10-31-2014, 09:34 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

His marching orders were to make it cheap to assemble, not easy to repair!

Posted from Rolla, MO tonight. Short, one-hour drive to Purina Farms tomorrow morning to drop the trailer. Have the rest of the weekend to goof off before the work begins Monday to set up the show.

Pop

Old 11-01-2014, 06:31 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
I just did another set of Dodge offset balljoints today (02 Cummins). Oh how I'd love to give that engineer a swift kick in the front of his pants.......
But it's the best truck ever made! As long as it has a cummins in it, that offsets any perceived design/engineer flaw!

I maintain engineers should be forced to work on the creations they come up with!

Old 11-01-2014, 02:21 PM
AMG-SM
Senior User
You could also have duck fan / Peter do it for you. I understand he's taking on projects on the side.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:41 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
His marching orders were to make it cheap to assemble, not easy to repair!

Posted from Rolla, MO tonight. Short, one-hour drive to Purina Farms tomorrow morning to drop the trailer. Have the rest of the weekend to goof off before the work begins Monday to set up the show.

Pop

Pop
Pop I'm glad you made it to MO. hopefully without issue. Glad you also have sometime to relax and take in the sights. I hope the dog show goes well for you. If you happen to see any German Shepherd rescues with AKC puppies please get their # for me. My little girl wants a german shepherd (something to do with Paw Patrol) and I don't want a mutt and I will not pay big bucks for a dog. My dog has been gone for about 5mths now and I'm kinda liking the No dog poop thing myself but my little girl gets what she wants.

Back on subject here I agree with the statement "make it cheap and fast to assemble" They don't care about the guy fixing it. They want you to just buy another new car or truck. I do believe that they build them with "planned obsolescence" in mind but don't want to admit to it. Actually planned obsolescence is a good business model. How else do you get them to keep buying new cars & trucks.

Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
But it's the best truck ever made! As long as it has a cummins in it, that offsets any perceived design/engineer flaw!

I maintain engineers should be forced to work on the creations they come up with!
I agree that they should be forced to be able to work on what they design. They should be able to be a field engineer not just a design engineer. At times I would think some of them engineers go out of their way to make it a pain in the rear to work on. I think some of these automotive design engineers go out for a beer after work and just laugh their butts off knowing some poor chump is going to have to work on what they designed.

Quick Reply: You KNOW It's A Lot Of Work When......