6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Mishimoto radiator & coolant filter installed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 12:32 PM
Blapensee
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mishimoto radiator & coolant filter installed!

well like many folks i too had issues with the stock rad. i finally got ahold of a mishimoto radiator from Full Force Diesel. they had the best internet price at the time i got it $950 with free shipping.

when i opened the box i was so happy, this thing looks amazing. i was very intimidated with doing the install myself taking off everything in front of the fan shroud.. in my driveway ..by myself..with no instructions (they put out the install video 2weeks later) but i must say once it got going it was pretty straight forward I'm not going into detail since they put out an install video on youtube now. but here are a few pics of the install

the only thing i was worried about was the oem style quick connects on the inlet and outlet didn't fit as tight as the stock rad. I've been driving around for a month with no leaks so i think its good

on to the coolant filter

during the draining of the stock radiator i found particles of sand and grit in the buckets i used to catch there coolant. so i decided to put together a kit myself between ebay, home depot, and summit racing i put one together for around $120

the thread sealer i used leaked a bit as you can see but it has since been swapped out for some ARP sealer made to be used with coolant that stuff is awesome
its under the passenger side
connected back into the return. I'm trying to find the oem style hose clamps the home depot ones don't look that good..but they do the job

hope you guys enjoyed!

Old 10-17-2014, 12:35 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,031 Likes on 2,206 Posts
Nice...I hope it last a long time for you!

Old 10-29-2014, 03:18 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Did you have to evacuate the AC system?

Old 10-29-2014, 03:37 PM
Blapensee
Elder User
Originally Posted by 69cj
Did you have to evacuate the AC system?
nope there is just enough play in the lines so you can pull it out of the way. thats where it helps to have a second person there to help so you don't damage the secondary radiator

Old 10-29-2014, 03:40 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Blapensee
nope there is just enough play in the lines so you can pull it out of the way. thats where it helps to have a second person there to help so you don't damage the secondary radiator
Good to hear. I read some where that the dealer charges to evacuate the AC system when they change out the radiator.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:18 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 500 Likes on 168 Posts
Now I know who to call if mine springs a leak..............nice install pics though.

I'm sure you did a thread somewhere, but what are your thoughts on the led headlamp bulbs you have installed?

Old 10-30-2014, 12:08 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,545 Likes on 1,414 Posts
Looks good, Nice job thanks for sharing.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:35 PM
Traveling Man
Senior User
This is the radiator that should have been put in these trucks from the factory. No excuse for all the Ford Motor Company failures on previous models. All the great improvements Ford did to increase the reliability of these trucks go out the window if/when the radiator fails.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Originally Posted by Traveling Man
This is the radiator that should have been put in these trucks from the factory. No excuse for all the Ford Motor Company failures on previous models. All the great improvements Ford did to increase the reliability of these trucks go out the window if/when the radiator fails.
The way ford works, the price of the truck would have gone up by $3,000 for it to have this $1,000 radiator in it and then they would have screwed that up too.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Traveling Man
Senior User
Ford has used up all mulligans prior to this introduction. I really don't care that International designed the former models. As far as I'm concerned Ford caused the majority of the International issues by managing production costs. These trucks are not cheap and consumers are tired of forking out premium cost while suffering the inferior components delivered to insure profit. Ford could separate themselves from the competition if they chose to. Unfortunately for the consumers, they embrace profit above quality. Ford no longer manufactures "Super Duty" as the name implies. Rather a adequate platform for enthusiasts to improve on to suite their need.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:58 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

GREAT job OP!! Looks like a lot going on there, but I'm sure the piece of mind now with the radiator is well worth it!!

biz

Old 11-10-2014, 01:24 PM
BrodyUSMC
Junior User
Ok so what kind of coolant and how much did you need total? I am doing mine this weekend and need to know how much to buy. when asking what kind of coolant I am looking for zyrex or prestone (go-5) or whatever you bought not WSD4738383..... because nobody at the parts store knows what type to get, it seems like nobody knows. and the breakdown of how much is in the primary and secondary in sepreate amounts. they all got a total, byt thats it.. thanks for the help

Old 11-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Blapensee
Elder User
Originally Posted by BrodyUSMC
Ok so what kind of coolant and how much did you need total? I am doing mine this weekend and need to know how much to buy. when asking what kind of coolant I am looking for zyrex or prestone (go-5) or whatever you bought not WSD4738383..... because nobody at the parts store knows what type to get, it seems like nobody knows. and the breakdown of how much is in the primary and secondary in sepreate amounts. they all got a total, byt thats it.. thanks for the help
i used the vc-3-b specialty orange coolant i got mine from herehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/251642022078?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT i purchased a 6 gallon case and 6 gallons of distilled water. the primary is 29.4 quarts and the secondary is 11.7 but i just filled until they were full drove around and checked them and filled until the bubbles in the lines were gone, all in all i have 1 and a half gallons of the concentrated coolant left after the project was complete. i used the stock stuff that can be gotten at a dealer because i couldn't find any info on another equivalent that would work in our trucks. best to go with stock in this case to keep your seals from being damaged

Old 11-13-2014, 08:40 PM
BrodyUSMC
Junior User
Changed my radiator today came out in about 2 hours and back in in about an hour and a half, not too bad just had to have the wife help me set the primary back in, but I didnt get 9 gallons of coolant back in it bttween the two. I olny used about 8 ran it for an hour to check for leaks, and I will have to add a little when it cools off in the morning. If any of you are thinking of doing it its not that bad. I used a factory replacement I got it at feista ford indio CA for $733. questions feel free to ask

Old 11-13-2014, 10:11 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Originally Posted by BrodyUSMC
Changed my radiator today came out in about 2 hours and back in in about an hour and a half, not too bad just had to have the wife help me set the primary back in, but I didnt get 9 gallons of coolant back in it bttween the two. I olny used about 8 ran it for an hour to check for leaks, and I will have to add a little when it cools off in the morning. If any of you are thinking of doing it its not that bad. I used a factory replacement I got it at feista ford indio CA for $733. questions feel free to ask
But then what happens when just past the new radiators warranty term that oem replacement starts leaking too?

Quick Reply: Mishimoto radiator & coolant filter installed!