6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Code P0607 - Across the Pond

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 10:29 AM
WK57ABF
Senior User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Code P0607 - Across the Pond

Can someone help please.

Is it safe to travel 200 miles to the dealership to have them investigate the control module performance?

The light comes on every time I start the engine. I clear the code with a Scan Gauge II and the truck drives great.

I have had this truck from new with no issues. It is regularly serviced and has had no reflashes. I am still on the original radiator/batteries, etc. having covered only 25,000 miles (mostly towing).

Thanks, John

Old 10-17-2014, 01:34 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well a P0607 could be caused by one or more of the following:

Loose ground terminal on PCM
Dead or defective (12V main) battery
An open or short in the power or ground circuit
Loose or corroded battery terminals
Failed PCM/TCM

The first thing to check is the battery, check the voltage, inspect for cracks and or loose/corroded terminals, etc., do a load test on it too.

If any work was recently done I would inspect the grounds at the battery and the connector at the PCM.

Bad batteries can cause a lot of issues with these trucks. If one is bad replace them both, a weak battery will take the life out of a new battery.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:00 PM
WK57ABF
Senior User

Hi SANNDDEMONO8,

Thank you for your response.

First thing tomorrow I will check all battery connections - had a look under the hood today and everything is brand new but will loosen off, clean and retighten all connections.

No recent work done - never been a spanner on the engine since early 2007. It's a 2008 Job 1.

Where would I find the PCM please? I know where the major components are but not electrics.

The batteries are nearly 8 years old but show a healthy voltage and the indicators are green.

Can I drive the truck? We have a 120 mile trip to the next campground on Sunday (we are fulltimers).

John

Old 10-17-2014, 02:48 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

The PCM is located inside the truck the thru connector is on the passenger side behide the air box. If no one has recently messed with it and the hold down clips are in place it should be fine.

Voltage should be around 12.6 volts min or higher after you let it sit over night. The cables will need to be disconnected to check each battery seperatly or you could get a false reading. The batteries and charging system are hard to load test with most testers unless you have a commercial grade tester.

I have also seen issues with this code caused by a faulty TCM.

Without seeing the truck I'm not sure if it is safe to travel the 125 miles with this issue. I have moved a truck 30-40 miles with that code and had no issue. Mabey a tech can chim in and answer that question. I would hate to see you have problems on the road.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:53 PM
WK57ABF
Senior User

Hi SANDDEMONO8.

I really appreciate your help here. This truck has been ultra reliable for me for the last 7.1/2 years - no-one has messed with it so the PCM hold down clips should be in place but I will check tomorrow.

I get your point about disconnecting all loads from the batteries to obtain a true voltage at the terminals - that will be done, but I cannot do a load test.

TCM !! That scares the hell out of me, I've read that 0607 can affect the transmission and that is a real worry.

Wanna see the truck - here she is - my truck and my wife.

John

Attached Images  
Old 10-17-2014, 03:57 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by WK57ABF
Hi SANDDEMONO8.

I really appreciate your help here. This truck has been ultra reliable for me for the last 7.1/2 years - no-one has messed with it so the PCM hold down clips should be in place but I will check tomorrow.

I get your point about disconnecting all loads from the batteries to obtain a true voltage at the terminals - that will be done, but I cannot do a load test.

TCM !! That scares the hell out of me, I've read that 0607 can affect the transmission and that is a real worry.

John
There are a lot of knowledgeable guys here, personally I have just learned through all our fleet trucks with different issues we have had and I have a few buddies that are techs. I try to help where I can tell a real tech comes along. That's a, nice truck, yeah I realy enjoy my 6.4. Is that an airstream ur pulling?

Old 10-17-2014, 04:26 PM
WK57ABF
Senior User

Sure is.

American truck, American motorcycle and American travel trailer.

Many thanks, John

Old 10-17-2014, 06:03 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Id be willing to bet your batteries are shot if the are the originals.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:51 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi SANDDEMONO8.

John
Nice set up John, one would think your an American transplant, LOL. I go along with slowmans, if it were my truck I'd be putting a couple of new batteries in you baby.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:57 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Sure is.

American truck, American motorcycle and American travel trailer.

Many thanks, John
Nice, i don't see many any more, i actually have a 1992, 32' excella i am restoring. I came across the trailer for free from a friend so i have a lot of room to work fixing it up. Dressed out it only weights 7000lbs not bad for a 32' trailer. I just got done replacing all the plywood floor and plumbing. Still have a long ways to go but plan on making it nice.

Did you get a chance to check any further into your truck?

Old 10-18-2014, 01:17 PM
WK57ABF
Senior User

SANDDEMON08, slowmans, bubbasz1,

Thank you all for your replies.

Checked the batteries with a quality multimeter this morning. Batteries connected 12.15 volts, batteries disconnected and allowed to rest/recover 12.26 volts. New batteries will be ordered Monday morning. Unfortunately I cannot get Motorcraft BXT Group 65 750 CCA that I would have preferred.

Will report midweek if new batteries turn the light off.

John

Old 10-18-2014, 01:22 PM
WK57ABF
Senior User

Originally Posted by SANDDEMON08
Nice, i don't see many any more, i actually have a 1992, 32' excella i am restoring. I came across the trailer for free from a friend so i have a lot of room to work fixing it up. Dressed out it only weights 7000lbs not bad for a 32' trailer. I just got done replacing all the plywood floor and plumbing. Still have a long ways to go but plan on making it nice.

Did you get a chance to check any further into your truck?

SANDDEMON08,

We have a Dutch friend who owned a 32' Excella - nice trailer. Other pals own Overlanders and Classics.

There is a thriving community of Airstream owners in the UK and mainland Europe.
Pic of a meet in Germany last year.

John

John

Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2014, 06:19 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SANDDEMON08,

We have a Dutch friend who owned a 32' Excella - nice trailer. Other pals own Overlanders and Classics.

There is a thriving community of Airstream owners in the UK and mainland Europe.
Pic of a meet in Germany last year.

John
Pretty cool, I copied and enlarged the picture and I think I see your silver Ford 1st row all the way to the left, LOL, don't see any other full sized pickups in that picture.
Hope the batteries take care of the issues, but seeing their 8 years and reading low it sounds like it's time anyways.

John
Pretty cool, I copied and enlarged the picture and I think I see your silver Ford 1st row all the way to the left, LOL, don't see any other full sized pickups in that picture.
Hope the batteries take care of the issues, but seeing their 8 years and reading low it sounds like it's time anyways.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:01 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by bubbasz1

Thats a cool Pic. Thats the beauty of the airstreams they where built to be pulled by larger cars and 1/2 pickup's. I see some early 60's models there.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:49 AM
WK57ABF
Senior User

Hi bubbasz1,

Yes that's our truck at the far left of picture parked next to my buddies King Ranch. He ribs me about my black exhaust tips at 25,000 miles - he has over 80,000 with clean pipes but he drives everywhere at full throttle.

Here's a better picture of us waiting for the ferry to Holland this year.

John

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Code P0607 - Across the Pond