6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

08 6.4 WORN ROCKER ARMS AFTER 113,000 MILES NO DPF EXCELLENT MAINTENANCE

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 05:19 PM
GPSK61
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer tech acknowledges there is an abnormal sound but says nothing is wrong and keep driving. Diesel shop tech says engine is done. I'll keep driving it and turn the stereo up. Then if it sihts the bed I'll see what they have to say about it and if I get no satisfaction I'll be replacing it with something else never to return to the blue oval.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:51 AM
GPSK61
Freshman User
Here is an update. We decided to move our fifth wheel out of a seasonal camp site this year and on Sunday I went up to tow it home hoping that the hard work would not finish the old girl off. Buddy came up with his Nissan truck to tow my small 8X8 trailer back with the patio furniture and as a possible ride home. The truck seems to run fine and my ticking/ chirping sound is almost gone at highway speeds. In fact towing the 12,000 lb fifth wheel home at 110 km/h (70 mph)on cruise (yes it was brake switch B) in a heavy cross wind up some long grades the damn thing ran perfect. I never lost any speed at all. The more boost the better up to 35 psi on the steep pulls. Exhaust temperatures up to 1280 f and it certainly cleaned out the DPF. Although this annoying sound that seems to be at its worst between 5 and 15 psi continues to concern me. I have no doubt this truck is making good power and getting as good or better than ever mileage. What's strange is this sound varies in its tone and volume. sometimes almost unnoticeable and at others very loud particularly in regen mode. Makes me think its an emission system problem and at times I would liken it to a manifold leak. I have to wonder if I had excessive blowby as was suggested by diesel shop wouldn't those high boost pressures blow out crank seals? There's not a drop of oil on my driveway.

By the way I had to pull over on a very hilly section and wait for the V8 Nissan. He had 8 patio chairs and a table in his box and my 8X8 trailer with 2' high plywood sides. It does pull like a barn but I couldn't resist teasing him about it?

Old 04-14-2015, 09:53 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Well a good story any way. Hard to say but emissions is not your friend. We all know that.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:26 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by GPSK61
What's strange is this sound varies in its tone and volume. sometimes almost unnoticeable and at others very loud particularly in regen mode. Makes me think its an emission system problem and at times I would liken it to a manifold leak. I have to wonder if I had excessive blowby as was suggested by diesel shop wouldn't those high boost pressures blow out crank seals? There's not a drop of oil on my driveway.
If your blow-by was excessive you would suffer low compression in one or more cylinders, and you would likely feel it when under throttle. The crankcase breather system should prevent seals from failing as a result of blow-by, but stranger things have happened.

Originally Posted by senix
Well a good story any way. Hard to say but emissions is not your friend. We all know that.
Unless you like breathing, and then maybe.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:43 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
If your blow-by was excessive you would suffer low compression in one or more cylinders, and you would likely feel it when under throttle. The crankcase breather system should prevent seals from failing as a result of blow-by, but stranger things have happened.

Not that I've had any 6.4's to cruise around in observe this, but I've seen a handful of older gas engines with compression issues, and they always ran rough at idle, but usually ran way better at speed.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:01 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Although this annoying sound that seems to be at its worst between 5 and 15 psi continues to concern me. What's strange is this sound varies in its tone and volume. sometimes almost unnoticeable and at others very loud particularly in regen mode. Makes me think its an emission system problem and at times I would liken it to a manifold leak.
As i have shared before there are several places you can have boost leaks on the high and low pressure sides of the turbo system, the most common i have found are the 0-ring under the EGR valve, the o-ring on the u tube that comes out of the high pressure turbo to the low pressure turbo, and last but not least the up pipes. All these should be inspected if you have boost related noises. The size of the leak will determine any performance loss or noise you may hear, i have seen all three leak and the truck still make decent power. The 0-rings are easy to inspect general if the truck is stock if other o-ring leaks you will see a small oil wet stop. The oil does not necessarily mean there is a issue with the turbo the oil is generally from the CCV system. If there is no visual que then you could pressure test the system and check for leaks that way as-well. The up pipes can be inspected with a flashlight and a mirror to look for soot of the bellows or other signs of a leak of damage. IF the EGR valve o-ring leaks its very common to get a little oil mist on the serpentine belt which causes very odd noises at random times and random rpms as well. I have had guys spends hrs trying to Diag a noise just to find out its a little oil on the belt from an oil change or leak.

have to wonder if I had excessive blowby as was suggested by diesel shop wouldn't those high boost pressures blow out crank seals?
Absolutely, if you had an engine condition where the rings where the source of low compression you would have leaks based on my experience. If the rings don't seal the boost level in this engine are great enough to overcome the CCV system and cause minor leaks all over. I have seen a single cylinder cause the glow plug connector to blow out of the valve covers.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:15 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by SANDDEMON08
Well the title says it all. I have to say i am very surprised with this happening to me at 113,000 miles. My truck has been DPF and EGR deleted since the truck had 10,000 miles on it. I have changed the oil every 3,500 to 5,000 miles. I have always used synthetic rotella oil 5w-40. I have had a oil bypass filter on the truck since 60,000 miles, oil samples have all been good. Iron was always high but blackstone always accredited it to the high levels of towing i did. Now the truck has been tuned since 10,000 miles and i tow a lot but i have never abused the truck maintenance has always been top notch.

I havent tore into it yet but i have seen and worked on enough 6.4 trucks with the symptoms to know it has the issue. You can hear the valve train noise very slightly and the intake is just starting to make a echo which is about the best i can describe it. Our fleet trucks have all had this issue from 110,000 to 130,000 miles, but most are completely stock with all emission equipment, 15w40 delo 400 oil that is changed every 5,000 miles or less. On the first truck we had an issue ford advised us to not mess with it tell we had an bigger issue or cylinder skip. So on there advice we did, when the issue became a dead skip we took it in only to find out we had waited to long and the valve guides where damaged turning a 1,500.00 repair into a 4,500 dollar repair. Since that horrible experience we have replaced the rockers at first notice and have had no issue. The rockers on my truck not completely gone but i don't want to wait for it to break before i fix them, so I figure ill catch it before it gets really bad and cause damage to other components. I plan to upgrade all the push rods as well while I have it apart.

With that being said i think its poor design leading to the failure. From what i see on the forums and read most trucks over 100,000 miles that work hard have the issues, trucks that are simply commuters don't seem to have the problem as early. I always thought the issue was more or less driven by the oil being diluted from active regens or poor maintenance.

Now what can be done to improve this issue. I have read several people have replaced there 6.4 rockers with rockers from a 6.0 and have had good luck but obviously its hard to get good feed back because people simply haven't put on the extra 100,000 miles to see if it is actually improved. My thoughts where if the engine went 113,000 on the stock set another 113,000 miles would be close to life of the motor or either way not something you have to change often.

I have also seen that harland sharp makes a billet set for the 6.0. If the 6.0 rockers are interchangeable these may be a good upgrade(Maybe a tech could chime in and verify they truly are interchangeable), but the price is crazy you could pay to have the factory rockers change twice for just what the Harlands cost.

Harland Sharp Roller Rocker Arms PowerStroke 6.0L 2003-07

There are other post on this issue I'm just looking to see if there are any better parts or updates on this issue. I plan to take some photos when i change them and do a little write up as usual.
I am really curious to know how high your iron was on your UOA's and when it started to be abnormal?

Old 07-18-2016, 09:42 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by SANDDEMON08
So heres my parts list i just got ordered i have attached part numbers for someone that may have this issue and is looking for more information. I"ll take photos and probably follow up with a little write up.

2 rocker assemblies contains all the rockers for one side @ 165.00 each ford part 8C3Z6564-D sold per each
8 Injector seal kits @ 14.56 each to replace the injector lines ford part 8C3Z9229-A sold per each
1 complete set of chromoly upgraded push rods @ 249.00 from river city diesel http://www.rivercitydiesel.com/index...mart&Itemid=54
16 new valve bridge plates 4.80 each to cheap to not replace ford part 8C3Z-6564-A

total cost of parts above 771.80 you could save the 249.00 on the push rods if there not damaged and the basic cost only be 522.80 but i want a little extra insurance while i am in there

Plus i am going to replace the upper fan shroud the butcher dealer destroyed the last time they had the truck for repairs.

1 fan upper radiator shroud ford part 7C3Z-8146-F for 113.18

so there went 884.96 just in parts should be here by wensday or thursday if everything goes well i should have it done the following weekend unless work stops me. Might go cab up and do the upgraded up-pipes,HP turbo and 60 HP over 8 hole injector nozzles while I'm at it since i have already have those parts as well.

I know this is an old thread...but thanks for posting this.

on a 6.0 if you pull the rocker assy, the head gaskets have to be replaced since the head bolts have to come off to get the rocker assy off. if you did not replace the head gaskets...any problems later?

any bent push rods?

I am debating on on deep I want to get into my engine which right now has rocker arm problems on the drivers side.....

looks like the pax side on my 2010 f-450 is going to require the cab to be lifted to get access...