1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Fuel additive

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 09:11 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Just make sure it is TCW-3 rated, which is ashless. Yes, there are two different kinds. The stuff from Wal-Mart was in a lubricity test a few years back and fared really well, and its the cheapest alternative. Truth be told though, since the Low Sulfur craze a few years back, the oil companies have long since been adding a lubricity agent to diesel fuel and the issues have been eradicated for the most part. But, if it makes you feel better adding something to your fuel, then by all means. I have been running straight diesel for two years now and have had no issues with pumps, injectors, etc that everyone rants about.

Yes, it is a placebo effect. No one can tell me that they hear the difference in the sound of their injector pulse width or sound of the open and closing cycle or they have some hearing and sixth sense I wish I had. But again, if the extra $$ spent pouring Power Service in your tank makes you feel better, smooths out, and quiets down that 7.3....more power to you. I guess my question to myself is this. If something in a bottle that is a "lube agent" quiets down and smooths out my motor/injectors that much, then what's wrong with my injectors? Why does my truck run so much better? Something else must be amiss.
I agree with the oil companies adding lubricity to the fuels as i said in my first post on this subject. But as to the placebo effect, I could actually hear and feel the engine running smoother when I added the 2 stroke oil. Was it worn injectors or something else? Who knows.
I think the Powerservice helps more if you are using the straight #2 diesel. My supplier is a Cenex station that sells a Premium #2 diesel called Fieldmaster for off road, and Roadmaster for highway use. It is the same fuel, the Roadmaster just doesn't have the red die in it. A few years ago I was a director on the Cenex board, and a dirt contractor came into the area rebuilding a highway, and he was asking if the station sold the Fieldmaster fuel. He stated that he could pay ten to twelve cents per gallon more for this fuel, and it would still be cheaper for him. The priemum fuel cost three cents more.
I think this is one of those "Which oil is best" type things. To each their own.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:09 AM
Motroo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opti lube user here. I drive a 95 and the fuel just isn't the same as it was when they built this motor. I can hear a difference when using an additive, engine is quieter, I drive a van, so any reduction in noise is easily noticeable. It can't hurt, it can help, and the cost is minimal, so why not. I will be switching to Schaeffer oil's soyshield when i run out of opti lube.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:28 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Motroo
Opti lube user here. I drive a 95 and the fuel just isn't the same as it was when they built this motor. I can hear a difference when using an additive, engine is quieter, I drive a van, so any reduction in noise is easily noticeable. It can't hurt, it can help, and the cost is minimal, so why not. I will be switching to Schaeffer oil's soyshield when i run out of opti lube.
It's too bad you don't see the Opti-lube in auto parts stores; they have a good reputation.. Last time I used the stuff was coming across the country in 2013; I had to order it and have it sent to Phoenix where I picked the truck up..

Old 10-19-2014, 09:25 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Motroo
the fuel just isn't the same as it was when they built this motor.
Exactly! Compare our cheap a** diesel to Europe's diesel and you will see quality vs junk.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:43 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Exactly! Compare our cheap a** diesel to Europe's diesel and you will see quality vs junk.
Don't hold back Glenn, tell us what you really think!!
I love it when a good thread stirs the soul!! lol..

Old 10-19-2014, 11:33 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

and that's that's all I have to say about that! LOL

Old 10-21-2014, 11:43 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by coreyallan01
Phil, do you store equiptment with diesel in them over the winter? If so do you treat it any special way? Thanks.

The only thing I've ever stored over the winter is my 97 last year. And it really wasn't stored. I drove it 3 times, and started it every two weeks and let the motor get up to operating temps. I ran Howe's in both trucks last year. Anti-gel is added to the fuel by the supplier, but only at a concentration that protects to something like 0°F IIRC. I add Howe's just to be safe. I don't want to be stranded.

As for farm equipment, my family's stuff gets used all winter. The tractors gelled up when it got below -10°F.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:32 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Corey, I let a 81 Jetta diesel sit for ten years, fired it up and drove it. It ran great!

Old 10-21-2014, 11:52 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Corey, I let a 81 Jetta diesel sit for ten years, fired it up and drove it. It ran great!
Man Glenn, I suppose we could say that was some good fuel.. Question is; was that in a mild climate? You MUST have grown bugs unless you treated it.. I let my old f350 sit in south Florida for 4 months back in 2001, when I came back from Europe she was pluuuuged up hard... The fuel was dark, filter black; took some work to clean her out....

Old 10-22-2014, 10:09 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by coreyallan01
Man Glenn, I suppose we could say that was some good fuel.. Question is; was that in a mild climate? You MUST have grown bugs unless you treated it.. I let my old f350 sit in south Florida for 4 months back in 2001, when I came back from Europe she was pluuuuged up hard... The fuel was dark, filter black; took some work to clean her out....
It was stored in the Black Hills of SD which has all four seasons but in general dry climate. I never treated the fuel. It surprised the heck out of me also. All I can think of is the humidity in Florida did that fuel in. I have never heard of that happening in that short of time.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:05 PM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
So is the general opinion to use PS over 2 stroke?

I have used a mixed blend of 2 stroke and PS

14oz of 2stroke + 2oz of PS

Old 10-24-2014, 09:00 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Someone hit on this earlier I believe, but powerservice and 2stroke do different things. 2stroke is clearly rust a lubricant, but probably actually lowers the cetane (tendency of the fuel to auto ignite). Powerservice is a lubricant but also a cetane booster. If you read the back, it contains a rather unstable nitrate compound to increase auto ignition.

So, with a higher cetane, old injectors that don't atomize the fuel as well will appear to run better. I doubt if 2stroke would lower cetane enough to notice the ignition delay, though

Just my thoughts on the matter...

Old 10-24-2014, 10:30 PM
compaddict
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Redline has nearly the same flash point as diesel.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:00 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
PS / 2-stroke is apples and oranges. I don't know if PS is much of a lubricant, but it is definitely a cetane boost, esp. the white bottle. So I've been doing a 3:1 mix (3 parts 2-stroke, 1 part PS), an ounce of this per gallon of fuel.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:09 PM
Dave7.3
Elder User
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Just make sure it is TCW-3 rated, which is ashless. Yes, there are two different kinds. The stuff from Wal-Mart was in a lubricity test a few years back and fared really well, and its the cheapest alternative. Truth be told though, since the Low Sulfur craze a few years back, the oil companies have long since been adding a lubricity agent to diesel fuel and the issues have been eradicated for the most part. But, if it makes you feel better adding something to your fuel, then by all means. I have been running straight diesel for two years now and have had no issues with pumps, injectors, etc that everyone rants about.

Yes, it is a placebo effect. No one can tell me that they hear the difference in the sound of their injector pulse width or sound of the open and closing cycle or they have some hearing and sixth sense I wish I had. But again, if the extra $$ spent pouring Power Service in your tank makes you feel better, smooths out, and quiets down that 7.3....more power to you. I guess my question to myself is this. If something in a bottle that is a "lube agent" quiets down and smooths out my motor/injectors that much, then what's wrong with my injectors? Why does my truck run so much better? Something else must be amiss.
Actually, I have.

About 5 years ago, I owned a 7.3 IDI that started puffing blue smoke at anything above an idle. Fuel mileage was okay (16mpg), no oil consumption, low miles (55k at the time), nothing to go on. I replaced the CDR valve, valve seals, fiddled with the timing and it was still smokey. Someone on the boards here recommended giving Power Service Diesel Kleen a try. I was skeptical, but I was running out of options. Low and behold, it cleared up my smoke issue in one tank. I ran the stuff in most tanks for another 20k before I sold the truck to buy my Super Duty.

The 6.0 PSD with it's injector stiction issues is another example of what additives can do. Does it make sense to keep throwing $200 injectors at a design flaw that could be cured with an additive?

On the same coin, I purchased a set of "good used" injectors for my 7.3 PSD when I rebuilt my engine. They never ran right no matter what I put in my tank or crankcase. Sure enough, when I sent them to Jim at Rosewood Diesel, he told me they were complete junk. Lesson learned.

With additives it comes down to this... Will it cure severe damage? Of course not. However, there are instances where it can help with mild issues. At the end of the day, it is your truck to do with as you see fit.

Quick Reply: Fuel additive