6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

What happened to GM's HD sales?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 08:36 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What happened to GM's HD sales?

I just seen a report showing HD truck sales through mid 14. Holy cow did GM do poorly. Looks like even with the new redesign they are way way behind Ford and now even a little behind Ram. This was totaling both Chevy and GMC together too. What's going on? We just drove one and didn't like it much due to very stiff ride and car like interior. My friend is a chevy guy getting ready to buy and he was first to mention his distaste in the truck. I was shocked. Sure is a big turn around from 5 years ago when I last looked.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:40 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
In my opinion, its all due to the Ram HD coming out swinging and the 6.7 PSD being a reliable platform.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:55 PM
mmm635
Senior User
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sawtooth
I just seen a report showing HD truck sales through mid 14. Holy cow did GM do poorly. Looks like even with the new redesign they are way way behind Ford and now even a little behind Ram. This was totaling both Chevy and GMC together too. What's going on? We just drove one and didn't like it much due to very stiff ride and car like interior. My friend is a chevy guy getting ready to buy and he was first to mention his distaste in the truck. I was shocked. Sure is a big turn around from 5 years ago when I last looked.
I was not impressed with it when I tested it out. I did not think the ride was stiff compared to my F350, but I like a stiff ride. I thought the interior was much smaller compared to the Ford and was not impressed with the redesigned interior. Felt like I was driving a souped up 1500.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:43 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I gave the new GMC a chance before buying another SD and was not impressed either (obviously). I'm glad I made the right choice.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:10 AM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Can't wait to rub this in my brother in law's face(Die Hard Chevrolet Fan). It makes sense though..... You know I know a couple of people that WERE Chevy guys, but when the whole 2008 collapse happened and GMC took the bailout money, they traded their truck in for Ford. Some people might not care too much about that, but I am PROUD to drive my Ford!

Old 10-17-2014, 05:34 AM
RangerSmith
New User
Why would anyone buy a truck and then get recall letters on it. Just about everything GM has built is being recalled.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:50 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I looked seriously at the GM trucks before I ordered my 2015 SD and. I have to say that while the GM and Dodge trucks are far better looking and have nicer interiors, it was the chassis and driveline of the Ford that won me over. They all have their problems and recalls so I am not going there. I think Ford hit a home run right out of the ballpark with this latest generation of SD trucks.. Now if they (Ford) could just do something in the styling department with that. Front end.. While not as hideous as my old Avalanche was with a face only a mother could love, it still looks like a fat kid with buck teeth and thick glasses..
I'm looking to make some changes in that department..

Old 10-17-2014, 07:22 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
I looked seriously at the GM trucks before I ordered my 2015 SD and. I have to say that while the GM and Dodge trucks are far better looking and have nicer interiors, it was the chassis and driveline of the Ford that won me over. They all have their problems and recalls so I am not going there. I think Ford hit a home run right out of the ballpark with this latest generation of SD trucks.. Now if they (Ford) could just do something in the styling department with that. Front end.. While not as hideous as my old Avalanche was with a face only a mother could love, it still looks like a fat kid with buck teeth and thick glasses..
I'm looking to make some changes in that department..

Only Helen Keller could say that a round tire in a square wheel well looked better and the grille looks like someone threw a handful of bling in the air and called it a grille. I haven't seen the interior since I couldn't get past the exterior.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:55 AM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
I too was browsing the GM lots before purchasing my latest SD and I actually liked what I saw. I think the new body style and headlights are a huge improvement and have Ford beat by a mile. EVERYONE has complained about the light output of the Ford headlights since they came out in '08 and NOTHING has been changed. I also dislike the front ends of the new SD's, the big bulky grille's remind me of the guys at the gym who wear shirts 4 sizes to small in an effort to look bigger. The interior is car like on the GM but it is filled with many features that Ford is years behind like USB jacks in the center console and the customizable dash display which lets you pick your gauge layout.

My Co-Worker just picked up a '15 2500 Denali and it is a beautiful truck. Ride height is the same (which GM finally improved) and I find the ride on the highway to be identical too. I haven't been off road in it yet so I can't compare that. Salespeople at both dealerships I visited by my workplace were "lacking" to say the least. Couldn't follow simple requests by me to price different options and really left me wondering how the heck they ever made a sale. In the end the saleswoman at GM told me they basically refused to order me the truck I wanted because it was going to be a 5-6 month wait time. Kind of a surprising answer when a guy is standing there willing to shell out $80k on a truck!! And when I really looked at the #'s the GM was almost identical in price because their sticker price is higher and rebates were lower. Add to that that it is impossible to get warranty through GM for anything passed 160,000km which really goes to show you how confident they are in their product.

I was SUPER impressed with the reliability of my '08 SD and the fact that the truck could do anything I wanted and more. So I then visited a Ford dealership close to home and although the salesman again was "lacking" in my books, he could at least finally give me a price for the truck I wanted. They also gave me a free truck to drive for the 8-10 week wait I had with my order but luckily that was cut down to just over 4 weeks. As soon as I drove my new truck I knew that I had made the right choice. Comfort level is good, lots of power with no more turbo lag and it feels like a truck.

Sorry for the long winded response. In the end I have absolutely no regrets with my purchase. Unlike some others I do feel like GM is putting out a decent product now but they are still unwilling to back it by any kind of warranty. Add to that all the GM recalls that a guy sees in the news and I don't want to deal with that in any way. So I'm once again an SD guy and will be for the forseeable future. And of course a part of me is hoping my Co-Worker has a few small problems with his new Denali so I can bust his ***** about it!! Cheers

Old 10-17-2014, 08:15 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,625 Likes on 1,643 Posts
Most people eventually wise up to Mr Goodwrench! When GM came out with their first diesel, the 5.7 gas with diesel heads, I wouldn't have touched that with a 48 foot pole! Then in the early 80's, they came out with the "diesel built" 6.2l; which I thought was a fairly good engine, I bought one. Well, to make a long story short, the engine was fine, but the transmission, transfer case, HPFP had the thing in the shop for about 3 months for the year that I had the thing. Mr Goodwrench was absolutely asleep, and getting parts was impossible. For those that don't ever need service, the GM may be fine, but for me, never again!

Old 10-17-2014, 08:20 AM
rob17
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
Only Helen Keller could say that a round tire in a square wheel well looked better.
LOL, I've often wondered about that.

The other thing is while Ford has turbo boost and trans temp gauges, GM has oil pressure and voltage gauges. I thought those went out in the '80s.

Rob

Old 10-17-2014, 08:49 AM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I liked the new headlights on the GMC as well, Ford is lacking there. Also liked the Cocoa or Espresso interior of the truck I test drove,mans that they come with an EX down tailgate assist (or something like it). Things that should be standard on my 70k+ truck. seeing at night is a nice advantage, and the tailgate assist is a nice gesture.

I also came to Ford during the height of the economic crisis. No way was I going to give my money to GM.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:59 AM
F2502011
More Turbo
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
The new GM trucks are the same as they've been for a few years now just in a different wrapper. Ram and Ford have made improvements in other areas that seem to matter more to buyers in this demographic. Namely powertrain improvements.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:40 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah one of the biggest selling feature of the GM duramax was the allison transmission... now finally most people seem to know what a pile that thing is.

Amazing how dumb and manipulated people are by brands and advertising.

Even stock power trucks don't always let the allison live for too long.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:09 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
I agree my stock Ford headlights SUCK! Ford come on people let us see tha light. As for a USB port the 15's do have them right? I'm pretty sure I seen one in the 15 we just drove.

Quick Reply: What happened to GM's HD sales?