Sponsored by:

poping noise when hit a bump

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 02:40 PM
jfowler1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
poping noise when hit a bump

I have a 2004 Excursion diesel. When ever i go over a bump, speed bump etc. I have a loud pop noise that sounds like it is coming from under the drivers side floor board. Anyone know what this may be?

Old 10-16-2014, 03:15 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It could be a few different things, if you really believe it's under the floor board it's probably a body mount.
Other possibilities are a shock, swaybar bushings or swaybar end links.
Is it a 4x4? If it is, could be hubs, short shafts etc.
it's really a process of elimination.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:02 PM
David - WI
Senior User
I have the same problem, it sounds like a loose/warn shock mount would... but I think it's possibly the sway bar banging around in the bushings in the frame mount. It seems just a little bit sloppy in the mounts; but I can't make it "bang" by shaking it myself.

Moog has some "problem solver" bushings for $8 at rockauto that I'm going to try. (From the photo these look like the axle mount bushings for the sway bar, now that I was under there and looked at the bar again.)

Last edited by David - WI; 10-17-2014 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Not frame mounts.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:35 PM
The2003Excursion
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It might be the mount to the frame. The mount is two vertical holes, one horizontal hole. All go through the frame also.

Start all three bolts. Leave the two coming up from the bottom loose. Tighten the horizontal one as tight as you can. Then tighten the vertical after that really tight. It creates a slight bind that does not have any give to it so it will not clunk anymore. If you do this and it still clunks, it is not the frame mounts causing the problem.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:46 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Had the same issue- was the sway bar end links.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:50 PM
Texas E
New User
Mine was the front two body mounts...

Old 10-16-2014, 09:09 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
It could be a few different things, if you really believe it's under the floor board it's probably a body mount.
What he said...

Old 10-16-2014, 09:21 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas E
Mine was the front two body mounts...
Cautionary ($) tale...

I had the same issue (knock) any time the axle twisted in relation to the frame.

I had done a V/Modded B swap and thought it could be the rear spring bushing. A mechanic at a shop said he also thought the bushing was bad, so I had the springs refurbed (new bushings, etc.)...that started at $300 but ended at over $600 due to the front tow hitch (don't ask).

Drove off the property and the 'bang' was still there. Took it back and he noticed slop in the steering ball joints. Took it to a steering place, had them replaced, bang is still there.

The sway bar bushings on mine were fine, bolts are tight on the sway bar mounts/connecting arms are tight.

So I dropped almost a grand chasing down that noise with no luck.

I'm not mad per se - the bushing was old and going out, the ball joints were on their way out - everything I replaced needed replaced, but damn, a grand and you'd think I wouldn't hear the noise anymore.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:28 AM
jfowler1
Freshman User
Thanks for all the Info, I hope it wont be anything to expensive to fix. I have to take it to Ford Monday anyways so i guess Ill ask them to look at it and see if they see anything.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:15 AM
David - WI
Senior User
Originally Posted by The2003Excursion
It might be the mount to the frame. The mount is two vertical holes, one horizontal hole. All go through the frame also.

Start all three bolts. Leave the two coming up from the bottom loose. Tighten the horizontal one as tight as you can. Then tighten the vertical after that really tight. It creates a slight bind that does not have any give to it so it will not clunk anymore. If you do this and it still clunks, it is not the frame mounts causing the problem.
I'll try that first, thanks.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:15 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll go with the end links. Mine started creeking slightly during summer, now they have an intermittent knock going over a bump.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:48 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It's the bolts that go through the frame anchor/mount.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:19 AM
Texas E
New User
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
Cautionary ($) tale...

I had the same issue (knock) any time the axle twisted in relation to the frame.

I had done a V/Modded B swap and thought it could be the rear spring bushing. A mechanic at a shop said he also thought the bushing was bad, so I had the springs refurbed (new bushings, etc.)...that started at $300 but ended at over $600 due to the front tow hitch (don't ask).

Drove off the property and the 'bang' was still there. Took it back and he noticed slop in the steering ball joints. Took it to a steering place, had them replaced, bang is still there.

The sway bar bushings on mine were fine, bolts are tight on the sway bar mounts/connecting arms are tight.

So I dropped almost a grand chasing down that noise with no luck.

I'm not mad per se - the bushing was old and going out, the ball joints were on their way out - everything I replaced needed replaced, but damn, a grand and you'd think I wouldn't hear the noise anymore.
True, but mine sounded like it was under the right front floor mat. We took the mounts from a F-250 and tweaked them to fit as they don't make the mounts for the E any more, from Ford at least. The doughnut was broken...

Old 10-18-2014, 09:45 AM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I replaced everything on the front end but the sway bar mounting bushings. Had a clunk still. Spun the EX and ended up in the body shop. BS suspension guy told me I needed a whole new front end suspension wise. Showed him the receipts for the work I did in the last 5k miles. I handed him 2 sway bar mounts and bet him the labor time to install them. I was credited 1 hour of shop time on my bill.

The owner and suspension guy were amazed at how much noise worn out sway bar mounts made.

To the OP the sway bar mounts are under 10.00 for a pair. It might not hurt put a set in!

Old 10-18-2014, 01:58 PM
David - WI
Senior User

Quick Reply: poping noise when hit a bump