Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Typical towing drivability questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 07:47 AM
enormiss
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Typical towing drivability questions

So I just pulled my camper the furthest and heaviest I have to date and power felt different.
I dont know if my experience is typical or if I should be looking to prevent an approaching problem.
I have an excursion that I had over scales recycling metal and it weighs 7900 empty.
Never had trailer (toyhauler) over scales but it's sticker has 5200 empty (optimistic I know)
Carrying 4people in X and 2cycles and everything needed for 4days remote camping in trailer.
Water and holding tanks empty 2propane about half full, lets assume total 10,000lb.
Typically I drive fast, speed limit was 65 & 70 for much of this trip.
It seemed to hold OD and maintain speed on inclines better at 70 so I traveled there(normal).
That put RPMs just over 2000 IIRC

So my experience and questions...
On highway inclines I would often be very deep into throttle and often my MPH still slowed.
I've always tried not to "floor it" but found myself forcing the pedal and mat to kiss on any long or steep incline this trip.
Full throttle always dropped out of OD and several times would not seem to go back even after cresting hill and now on downside.
My MPG was 11.5 going and 10 returning both hand calculated and almost a full tank each.
I've had closer to 12.5 towing other trips but neither as heavy or as long distance.

So would you call these typical for the situation or not?
Mentally I cant get over thinking I'm torturing the rig with extended full throttle close to redline runs.
Is that something I just need to get over or a valid concern?
I dont have pyro or fuel pressure guages but did have torque app running.
Wished I had fuel pressure as the extended time to return to OD after high RPM had pump on my mind.

Heres my torque #s
EOT high 230 low 32 typically noticed this around 210-220
Boost high 25 low -0.7 never noticed above 16.5 redline and around 8 in OD
EBP high 34 low 0 this seemed to bounce a few psi while driving not steady normally in teens
ICP high 2982 low 467
IPR 40.6 low 9.4
FIPW high 3.1 low 1.6

No tunes that I know of, 290,000 odo
Fuel filter changed right before trip, oil due for change now (5000mi interval)
Wadda ya tink

Old 10-16-2014, 08:33 AM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought about writing a small book. But,

I would say that's about as normal as it gets

Loaded and unloaded operations vary greatly. Especially fuel consumption due to elevation of inclines.

General Health, your engine seems to be good.

* If the IPR/ICP/DC Circuit was showing these low numbers without being loaded I "might" consider looking into it. But, lower numbers are expected with thinning oil viscosity and heat.

Have you considered monitoring EGT's? Forget about the speed limit sign and those people behind you. That's why there are right hand slow lanes. I particularly enjoy it when someone passes me and presents the ore of dislike with fingers.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:36 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
With a boost of 25, that's where you lost it... the PCM will defuel the engine right there. Everything else was textbook for what you were doing with the vehicle - but I am uncertain of the terrain to know if the MPGs are in line.

Since you are capable of maxing out your boost, I would install a proper boost fooler (holds the max reading to the PCM to 22 PSI), and you'll get your power back with your foot in it. Caveat - without at least a pyrometer, you'll risk doing things you don't want to. If you're going to spur those horses, it's best you know when they're ready to kick back.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:57 AM
enormiss
Senior User
Originally Posted by whitetmw
I would say that's about as normal as it gets...
Good to hear, a mental change is cheaper than a truck troubleshooting but may end up being just as difficult. I'm not sure I can ever bring myself to be the slopoke. You should have wrote the book, I felt like I did above LoL

Old 10-16-2014, 11:09 AM
enormiss
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
With a boost of 25, that's where you lost it... the PCM will defuel the engine right there. Everything else was textbook for what you were doing with the vehicle - but I am uncertain of the terrain to know if the MPGs are in line.

Since you are capable of maxing out your boost, I would install a proper boost fooler (holds the max reading to the PCM to 22 PSI), and you'll get your power back with your foot in it. Caveat - without at least a pyrometer, you'll risk doing things you don't want to. If you're going to spur those horses, it's best you know when they're ready to kick back.
I never seen the boost over 16.5 and it had to be close to redline for that.
I guess torque and the pcm did but it would only have been for the blink of my eye.
Would fueling return to normal after a boost spike?

Both a pyro and fuel pressure are on the list, but didnt think the pyro was too impt since it appears to have stock tuning.

I'm on the east coast so started from elevation of 0 and seen mt. top signs lil over 2500 but no % grade. I can continue to monitor my MPGs as I have been and see if there is a decrease.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:12 AM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by enormiss
Good to hear, a mental change is cheaper than a truck troubleshooting but may end up being just as difficult. I'm not sure I can ever bring myself to be the slopoke.
Who gets there first is not most important, it's who can get there the most consistently. Tortious and the Hare...

Old 10-16-2014, 11:44 AM
enormiss
Senior User
I know I should slow up but holding OD and keeping traffic flow was less stressful in my head.
Everytime it slowed and downshifted frustrated me, less traffic brought less worry and that was the point of the trip. To get away

Old 10-16-2014, 01:20 PM
ScaldedDog
Fleet Mechanic

Received 106 Likes on 66 Posts
Long wide open runs will only hurt your truck in two ways:

1) EGT's - I don't know what happens at low altitudes, but at high ones EGTs can easily hit 1400* or more, even with stock tuning. Get a gauge.

2) Torque converter - On my 01's EBM2 programming, the TC unlocks on the 4-->3 downshift, and will stay unlocked with a heavy load and more pedal. (Did you notice this with yours?) That makes heat like the devil himself. You probably know this already, but you can get pretty good at forcing a lockup with an almost imperceptible lift of the pedal, then slowly get back into it. In any event, get a tranny temp gauge, or monitor it with Torque.

So you're monitoring boost with Torque? I suspect you didn't actually hit 25psi, unless it was when you let off of a WOT suddenly. If you didn't actually see anything higher than 16.5 when running it hard (and that's pretty normal for a stock truck, at least at high altitudes), and your EBP didn't exceed 34psi (is your formula corrected for altitude, or did you use the one Torque provides?), 25psi boost under load is not likely.

Mark

Old 10-16-2014, 03:04 PM
enormiss
Senior User
Will move the priority up on gauges.

The converter did unlock as you describe on every downshift.
It would relock on its own, how long unlocked depended on conditions.
I monitor trans temp with torque and it also has a dash guage (i know )
Operating temps are always low especially this trip as ambient high temps only hit 60s.
Not sure if cooler was already upgraded.

I'm also doubtful of the high boost #, but it was the reported high on return and iirc 20 going.
Since I always thought my numbers were low it was the guage I played closest attention too.
It is most recent formula - vehicle baro and also monitored that.
It would get 16.5 screaming typically 8something cruising in OD and could only get it up to 10 in OD before it would downshift.
Concensus seems to be this is normal...
EBP guage had a bounce to it a few psi, was not a steady reading. Other than that I noticed nothing abnormal visually
It is also recent formula and - vehicle baro

Thanks for all the replies