67 Hood lock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:43 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by orich
Jeff, I've thought of trying to swap the two out the next time, I'm at Pnp if both trucks are there with hoods on them.

But it would flip the cable over to the passengers side and may need a longer cable Right!
orich
GOOD IDEA Rich. Have the handle over on the passenger's side. Potential thieves peeking in the window will think it's a vent handle. Brilliant!

Old 10-22-2014, 02:53 PM
BrockGrimes
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Food for thought an under hood fire would suck if you had a pad lock holding everything contained.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:04 PM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've never even worried about engine compartment theft or vandalism. It doesn't really happen, around here at least.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:13 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
When I first got my truck I thought about it, but then I realized that most people can't figure out how to open the hood anyway....

Old 10-22-2014, 08:56 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BrockGrimes
Food for thought an under hood fire would suck if you had a pad lock holding everything contained.
I've had my brake warning light short out an it was cooking my dash wiring harness. That's hooked into the main 20 amp fuse that did not pop it just turned that brake warning light wire hot enough burn the insulation off as smoke came out from under the dash.

Well stopped quickly as I just pulled away from the curb and going about 100' ft. Well I unlocked my hood in record time and yanked off the battery terminal like supper Man would have done it..

I make sure not have any old rubber cracking gas line, or over tighten gas line clamps that could cut into line any.

I always carry two fire extinguishers as, I have helped two women with engine fires. Yeah one was a ford truck like a 73-77 dent in the parking lot caught fire while starting up. It was hot day of about 112* a normal summer desert day. I guess it was parked long enough the heat soak the carb and popped back through the carb while trying to start it.

The Bitch never even said thank you, only Oh my husband will kill me.
And that was my $10 dollar Fire extinguisher..

2nd time was a lady in her husbands little old classic 50's MG. But this time I was a little smarter. I said Lady I'll put the fire out for the coat of my Fire extinguisher $12 bucks. OK,OK,OK,OK so used a rag for the hot hood latch put fire out. She handed my $20 bucks, I gave her back $10 bucks change.

She had stopped at one of those free wy call boxes but I came along before she could call the Fire dept. I told her now just call for a tow flat bad truck.

Funny well not funny but odd this women also said my husband is going to kill me! He loves this little car as it was his first car..

And, I started thinking yup at this time that MG was about 50 yrs old.

Everyone should have at lease one fire extinguishers in all their vehicles & one larger one at home as you never know who's life or vehicle you save may be yours or a love one's

Old 10-22-2014, 09:45 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
That's one thing I should probably carry. We've got one in our other truck. I was carrying water when it was hot out. But I took that out now that the cooler weather had come.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:14 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
That's one thing I should probably carry. We've got one in our other truck. I was carrying water when it was hot out. But I took that out now that the cooler weather had come.
Man when, I lived in the desert for 12 yrs, I always carry 3 gal. of extra drinking at all times. And long jumper cables dual batterers as you never know if you'll need it or help someone out on the road broken down.
Many city people who don't take care of their vehicle very good you find them on a long grade hill stopped due to vapor lock or over heating from a broken fan belt or some damn stupide thing. With no extra water..
I use to lived between Blyth & Indio at Deserter Center then at Eagle Mtn. working for Kaiser steel Corp.

I've seen and hear many people dying along I-10 from having car troubles
and not enough drinking waters or only booze to drink..
And you know booze will only dehydrate you then heat stroke..
And no help then it's~~~To late
orich

Old 10-22-2014, 11:51 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
"Lady, I'll put the fire out if you pay the cost of my extinguisher" "OK OK OK OK!!!"

LOL!! Yeah, they are good to have. Full size, though. Those cute little jobbies the size of a flashlight they sell for the purpose don't do $h%#, plus they tend to spooge themselves after a year or two, maybe because of the heat, but my truck is garaged, and two of them have let go.

One thing about the desert, and you're not running any glycol, could drain some nice rusty water out of the radiator, watch it bounce off a greasy tie rod into a dusty hubcap, and be all set.

Installed a quick battery disconnect, after reading some of the war stories here, don't want to test my superpowers if the need ever presented itself. They are inexpensive and add a little peace of mind when leaving the truck alone regards to fire hazard. The old iron doesn't have any computers or relearning process to go through anyway; or the heater needing a new software update; if the battery is disconnected so I leave it disconnected except when operating.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:01 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Yes, my 67 has the safety catch, as well as the hood latch.. I see that the bumps have a way different catch / latch, than the dents... if Orich is successful, with the swap, then it would make it feasible to put some effort into finding one... several are on Ebay right now...

I also have "Seen the Elephant" in Vietnam ... Vung Tau, harbor clearance diver.. came home in parts, but its all working now... thanks for your service amigo..

baja

Old 10-23-2014, 12:17 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
OK, after re-reading page 2 & 3, it looks possible to use the '73-79 locking hood latch, by switching it around and running the cable to the passenger side... smart... hope it works for Orich, as he suggests in post #30... he may have started a minor revolution, in battery / engine protection... I knew that the bump gurus would come up with a solution..

AND... besides extra water in the warmer climates, the fire extinguisher is a bery berry good idea... Marine stores sell all kinds... I have 2 in my truck... as well as a cooler with extra water, at all times...

Baja

Old 10-23-2014, 12:24 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Just had a minor epiphany, in Marine stores, they sell automatic Haylon fire extinguishers, that, if mounted under a hood, would put out any kind of engine fire, without harming anything at all... Since I have a 300 Six, there is way room enough all around the motor... "An Ounce of prevention" and so on... not much money, for lots of protection... I'm doing it...

Baja

Old 10-23-2014, 01:58 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Thought Halon had been banned by now, to save endangered slugs or whatever.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:08 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Well, they actually call it MP3 or some such alphabet speak.. does mthe same job mas o menos.. West Marine has the auto ones for around $250 and up.. well worth it, if used one time...

I had my '55 Vett burn to the ground in St. George Utah.. Hitch hiking from there was a b--ch..

Old 10-23-2014, 09:27 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Betcha it's a replacement for Halon, "new and improved" has morphed into "new and far more expensive than the old but not nearly as good improved." Sorry to hear about your Vette.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:31 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Oh Yeah, I had soon installed a main battery ground cut off after my warning light cook off before driving it again.

Plus installed a 3 amp fuse on the warning light hot feed.

When, I first started working for Kaiser, I notice all of the ore hauling trucks had a built in C02 Fire extinguishers system. They had 4 mounted on a truck 2 that were close to the driver & 2 mount by the lower radiator/fender areas so they could be activate by two places in the driver seat or on the ground.

The Fire extinguishers had long hoses going under the hood aimed at the fuel sources.

The driver could activate while still driving and get stopped, then when get down on the ground and activate 2 others.

I thought wow that's a great idea and was thinking about doing the same thing.

If ,I just run a longer hose to my engine compartment aimed at my carb area from the fire extinguishers, I have mounted in my cab.

I have one fire extinguishers next to the passenger side air vent area to just activate while in the cab if ever needed.

Also while, I was living in the desert. I was always out prowling around in Generals Patton play ground as that's what the locos called it.

This was where he had this headquarters in that area.
For many miles this was Great area for treasurer hunting.

Or, I could checking out old mining sites as the whole area in the mountains around was full old mines.
Orich

Quick Reply: 67 Hood lock?