Sponsored by: DP Tuner

looking for suggestions on a pillar gauge and what three gauges to get

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 01:48 PM
superglide04
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for suggestions on a pillar gauge and what three gauges to get

Have an 02 f350 7.3 and recently installed tuner. I was looking for suggestions on a complete pillar gauge and what gauges are best to have.a. Want it complete no painting or anything just worked with the TS performance tuner I may do damage, already smoked the tranny.
the interior is gray

thanks in advance.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:03 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
No painting. Fit is pretty good. 99-07 Ford Super Duty PowerStroke Gray Triple Pillar Pod

Not saying I'm recommending Glow shift gauges. I like mine with the exception of night lighting. They only have a set amount of reduction when you turn your headlights on. I would have prefered to be able to dim them manually but it's not an option with mine. haven't even looked at later models to see if it's an option now.
Lots of folks like Isspro's. EGT(dual preferably), fuel pressure, and either tranny temp or boost. i went with a 4 gauge pod and have all 4.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:15 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. pyro is extremely important with a tuner. I have pyro and boost on the pillar, should have gotten a 3 gauge pillar and added trans temp. maybe next time. I'd do boost, a dual pyro, and trans temp if it were me. I'm starting to do quite a bit more towing recently so I really need something better than the in dash factory gauge. I did the Auto meter factory match 2 gauge pillar kit. it came black. I just left it. don't know if you can order it in different colors honestly.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:47 PM
mototrig
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My 3 are pyro, boost & trans temp. I'm happy with my selection. If I need anything else like HPOP or IPR% I use the Torque Pro app.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:18 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
If your boost never goes over about 32 PSI, you can use Torque or the like to monitor this - as well as transmission temperature. I use Torque Pro to watch everything on the OBDII port, then I have dual pyros and fuel pressure because they don't exist on the port.

Just a thought.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:31 PM
superglide04
Freshman User
thanks gentlemen plz keep it coming! tugly what do you plug into your ob 2

Old 10-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Isspro EV-2... Dont go cheap on gauges...

Glowshift are made in china junk.

Isspro are made in the USA, right in Portland Oregon. You will pay more, but your getting top quality gauges from a US vendor that supports the industry.

Top 3 gauges for an Auto truck... EGT, Boost and Trans temp. After that a Fuel Pressure gauge is the most important. Nothing will leave you stranded on the side of the road quicker with no way to know what is up then fuel pressure.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:47 PM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
x2 on Isspro. They stand behind what they sell looong after the sale. If you can only have three, I'd ditch boost for fuel pressure.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:54 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stinson 108-1
If you can only have three, I'd ditch boost for fuel pressure.
I completely agree with that statement.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:44 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
If you will consider a 4 gauge.
I suggest....
1 for fuel pressure
1 for trans temp
2 for exhaust manifolds (one for each manifold)

Old 10-15-2014, 05:49 PM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Originally Posted by dn29626
If you will consider a 4 gauge.
I suggest....
1 for fuel pressure
1 for trans temp
2 for exhaust manifolds (one for each manifold)
Running two pyro's... Completely un-needed for 90% of people. Boost would be a much more useful tool then a second Pyro.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:02 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by superglide04
...tugly what do you plug into your ob 2
Torque Pro (OBDII scan gauge) on a Nexus 7, and ISSPRO EV2s... I even have the programmer to set the alarms where I like.

Originally Posted by Gaugepro
Running two pyro's... Completely un-needed for 90% of people. Boost would be a much more useful tool then a second Pyro.

Boost is on the OBDII port, and that (very accurate) MAP sensor is over $200. It seems a waste to ignore it and throw another (less accurate) gauge on there to do the same thing.

If the trucks were new, I'd agree with not needing a second pyro - but these rigs have serious miles and years on them. If you had a 14-year-old gasser with 300K miles - it wouldn't likely be your first choice for pulling a big load across the country (like Franko72 did with his 7.3L). Given that, I think we need to monitor things more closely as the calendars and odos roll. I saw a UVCH give out on the passenger side and the EGTs on the driver side went crazy. What if something went cold on the driver side (probe location), and you had no idea what was going on with the passenger side? Would you limp to town, or stop in the middle of nowhere? Dual pyros tell you what you can safely do without damage.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:08 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Watching boost is great for diagnosing any EGT or power issues as well. People underestimate the power of watching this. Fuel pressure is important too though. However, I have had many more boost issues than I have had with fuel pressure.

To the OP, check out the Autometer Ford Factory Match lineup. I ran them before running our Infinity monitor and they were great. Here is a pic of them inside my truck (with the Infinity as well).

Check them out HERE.

You will have to paint the pillar though. There is not a quality pillar out there that doesn't have to be painted to match. The GS one does not fit well, and the gauge holes are too big. I ran it for a while when I first purchased the truck.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 10-16-2014, 12:35 AM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will definitely want an EGT. Possibly a Fuel Pressure Gauge as well.

The remainder can be monitored via the OBD-II 16 Pin port.

There are several out there. i.e.: Scan Gauge - II / X-Gauge and they're stackable via a RJ45 Interface. So, you can monitor four per gauge set up to as many gauge sets you would like. It also will retrieve stored codes as well. You may as well see what the PCM sees. About $175 ea.

Others like our Sponsors Infinity allow the monitoring and configuration of both Analog / Digital as well as programming. I have no personal experience but worked on a Truck last week with one in it. Of course I didn't play with it as it was a customers. He did say it was very customizable. About $1k with all the bells and whistles he got with it delivered.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:26 AM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Tuggles...

Having run dual EGT's for well over 300k... I can tell you while its fun and all, a boost gauge is FAR more useful then a second EGT. You can feel when one side is not running, and if your EGT on the drivers side is reading fine... well you know where the issue is.

Factory Match Isspro EV-2... Full sweep, full electric gauges... Built in warning lights, available programmable triggers... Good stuff.

Quick Reply: looking for suggestions on a pillar gauge and what three gauges to get