Ignition Will Drive Me to Drink!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 01:15 PM
Beedub109r
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Will do right after work.

Originally Posted by 51M1
Go to the gas sender. Take the wire off. Look at the gauge. Now short the wire to ground. If the fuel needle moves.... Your sender is bad. If not, it is in the wiring or the cluster gauge. To check the wire, disconnect your battery. Test with an ohm meter between the sender wire and the gauge. If the resistance is 0 the wire is good. Connect the battery and check for voltage on the gauge. If there is voltage and the sender wire is good then the gauge is bad. If there is no power to the gauge... Thats another problem. Probably a bad connection. If the other gauges work, your gauge cluster regulator is good.

Thanks again!

Final question.
Truck was running awesome all morning, then on the way back to the office it started running like it was out of gas. I put gas in it and it ran good for 2000 feet then started choking out again. It feels like it is muffled and it wont accelerate. Does this sound like a fuel pump?

Old 10-22-2014, 01:19 PM
Beedub109r
Senior User
Issue after issue

Gremlin after gremlin. Sheesh. Here was the truck this morning out on the job site. He ran excellent all morning and now is running like it is out of fuel. Even with a full tank of super.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:47 PM
51M1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beedub109r
Thanks again!

Final question.
Truck was running awesome all morning, then on the way back to the office it started running like it was out of gas. I put gas in it and it ran good for 2000 feet then started choking out again. It feels like it is muffled and it wont accelerate. Does this sound like a fuel pump?
Welcome to the one step forward three step back club.
Clogged fuel filter? Bad duraspark ignition box? Electric choke problems? Make sure its open. Clogged fuel lines from rust and scale in the gas tank? Can you blow back on the fuel line and hear bubbling in the tank? Undo your fuel cap first.
Lots of things can cause this. Probably a dirty fuel tank is the cause.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:54 PM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
How old is the fuel pump? The ethanol in your fuel will eat a pre-ethanol pump.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:44 AM
Beedub109r
Senior User
Fuel troubleshooting

Here is what I did last night:
Replaces ALL rubber fuel lines. Replaced the fuel pump. Replaced the 2 week old rear fuel filter. It ran tons better but took it on the highway to get home and it would get to about 60 and then just refused to accelerate. When I'd floor it, it would just flutter and not go any faster. The carb is 2 weeks old and I am going to warrantee it out. All I can think at this point is that something got in one or both of the jets on the secondary. The thing just starves itself of gas. I have the ignition dialed in. Put the lightest springs in the distributor for the maximum mechanical advance. I have troubleshot the entire fuel system and it leads to the carb. The carb is a brand new 1411 Edelbrock (750).

Old 10-23-2014, 07:46 AM
Beedub109r
Senior User
Also

A BIG THANKS to Rich and Red Road! As usual, they took time to help me attempt to work this stuff out. I'm not quite there yet but it's guys like that that make the troubleshooting a little better.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:47 AM
Beedub109r
Senior User
Took your advice

Originally Posted by trozei
How old is the fuel pump? The ethanol in your fuel will eat a pre-ethanol pump.

Brand new as of last night.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:49 AM
Beedub109r
Senior User
Thanks and I used your advice

Originally Posted by 51M1
Welcome to the one step forward three step back club.
Clogged fuel filter? Bad duraspark ignition box? Electric choke problems? Make sure its open. Clogged fuel lines from rust and scale in the gas tank? Can you blow back on the fuel line and hear bubbling in the tank? Undo your fuel cap first.
Lots of things can cause this. Probably a dirty fuel tank is the cause.

2 new fuel filters. MSD, no Duraspark, newer (Not new tho) aft axle tank, every bit of rubber line on the system is replaced.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:53 AM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
I assume the 460 is of 73 - 78 vintage is that right? Has the egr plate been removed or blocked?

Old 10-23-2014, 08:06 AM
Beedub109r
Senior User
EGR is gone

Originally Posted by redroad
I assume the 460 is of 73 - 78 vintage is that right? Has the egr plate been removed or blocked?

It's a 76-77 460. The EGR and all components have been removed. The intake is a 429 CJ square bore, dual plane, non-EGR. I have a 1' square bore riser. Not the open-in-the-middle type, it has the corresponding square bore holes and the gaskets are square bore with 4 holes, not the open square type. If you are thinking vacuum, I tested with starter fluid all around and the only leak was that plastic 90 at the brake booster. I replaced that with a new one.

Shawnee O'reilly has the 1411 Edelbrock on the shelf so, I will pull mine here in a bit and swap it.

Something tells me I should have ponied up for the Holley.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:16 AM
redroad
Lead Driver
There really is no bolt on and go carb .. The edelbrock should work fine but will take some time and patients to dial it in right .. Have you recurved the distributor since the EGR plate was removed? or have you put in a 0* timing set ?

Old 10-23-2014, 08:56 AM
Beedub109r
Senior User
Distributor

Originally Posted by redroad
There really is no bolt on and go carb .. The edelbrock should work fine but will take some time and patients to dial it in right .. Have you recurved the distributor since the EGR plate was removed? or have you put in a 0* timing set ?

Distro was set with the current non-EGR intake. It was set at 12* with the factory advance springs. I put in the middle setting (one heavy, one light advance spring) and it ran better but not quite there. I went to the light setting and it was spinning the tires. Timing is about 8* and idle is at 650-700 in gear with foot on the brake. There is no Rev-Limiter set on the MSD 6AL box.

I figured it would not be plug and play on the carb but it shouldn't starve out as bad as it is.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:09 AM
redroad
Lead Driver
What gear ratio are you running ? and what is the rpms at 60mph ? what rpms is the dizzy all in ?

Give this a read

Old 10-27-2014, 11:31 AM
Beedub109r
Senior User
Turned out to be Edelbrock... Again

Took the Edelbrock 750 (Brand New, not Reman)off and took it back to O'Reillys. Manager asked what was wrong, I showed him that the bottom of the carb was full of fuel and it ran like crap. He said he could have another one for me in a day. I said, "Keep that for a sucker driving a Chevy. I'll take my money back, thanks."
Went to the speed shop, bought a Quickfueltechnologies.com 750 and couldn't be happier. The thing feeds the gas right and took minor adjustment to be dead on. The Quickfuel looks identical to a Holley (Holley Designer started his own company= Quickfuel) but doesn't have the inherent Holley drawbacks. You can tune your secondaries from the outside of the carb and it has sightglasses on both sides of the carb. For less than the POS Edelbrock, I got the Quickfuel, the dual line= braded S/S, and a fuel line adapter to rubber hose. Loving driving the truck again.
Now onto the gas gauge and speedo.
Thanks again for all the assists.
I have 4:11's Red, to answer your previous question. The truck does 3200 RPM at 75mph and really, really likes fuel!

Old 10-27-2014, 02:32 PM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
If I may ask, what did that carb set you back?

David

Quick Reply: Ignition Will Drive Me to Drink!