6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Considering a 6.4. Input please?

Old 10-16-2014, 07:52 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by STROKINMY'08
we usually agree parkland... but maybe differ here! I was taught by good guys like senix and bubba quite a few good guys with 6.7's also gave good advice... to each their own as opinions go...but the main stay that was repeated to me was oil changes at 5 fuel at 10 , drain water sep and run fuel conditioner I've done it all for the time I've had it and will continue to...maybe we're all lucky that have done these steps...or you've been lucky yourself not doing them regularly enough. Either way there bad *** trucks that are hated on quite a bit...not sure why...but I love mine! ALSO I SLEEP LIKE A GRIZZLY BEAR IN PEACE 70 degrees in Florida!!! I don't worry about trucks use them as they we're intended if they break....well we put money back for that rainy day
LOL, dude, didn't anyone tell you bears only sleep when it's cold out, otherwise they just eat and poop. That's why you don't have any in Florida, just them damn gators and illegal immigrant snakes.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:02 AM
Thasilver_6.7
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
LOL, dude, didn't anyone tell you bears only sleep when it's cold out, otherwise they just eat and poop. That's why you don't have any in Florida, just them damn gators and illegal immigrant snakes.

lmao.... come on bub your making me look bad after I said your one of the bright ones on here we have black bears up in north Florida everywhere... my life's pretty good not far from "just eating and poop" you also proved my point we've been waking up to the high 50's which is GREAT SLEEPING WEATHER for us Floridians that's pretty cool for us when we just got done with heat index's from 105-110 or for a bear to sleep...ahahhahaha

Old 10-17-2014, 07:01 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by STROKINMY'08
lmao.... come on bub your making me look bad after I said your one of the bright ones on here we have black bears up in north Florida everywhere... my life's pretty good not far from "just eating and poop" you also proved my point we've been waking up to the high 50's which is GREAT SLEEPING WEATHER for us Floridians that's pretty cool for us when we just got done with heat index's from 105-110 or for a bear to sleep...ahahhahaha
Ah, Florida, 105-110 heat index, No Thank You, I'll keep my couple of months of cold a year.
So you have bears, never would have thought they like that kind of weather, Oh well. Good we can joke around, not all can take a good ribbing now and then, good for the soul.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:10 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I wouldn't make that trade unless I was going to tow more than 8,000 lbs.

With the Ram he has a relatively new truck that is doing the job. The Super Duty is four years older and has an engine that's particularly sensitive to bad fuel. Just one tank of bad fuel could set you back $10,000 or even more if it destroys your engine. There's another thread going right now of a guy who blew up a relatively new remanufactured 6.4L engine in a couple thousand miles and it was denied warranty coverage because of bad fuel.

My second thought is that a Super Duty is about the last vehicle I'd want to put MY wife in for a 100-mile commute in bad weather. They are top-heavy and lack the stability control that your Ram has that could keep her on the road in a skid. A friend of mine rolled his '10 F250 over at 35 MPH in a snow storm and the roof crushed the passenger seat. That same seat that I was sitting in 21 days before. Can't find the pic anymore, but Super Duties don't do well in rollovers.

If you need to tow a bigger trailer that changes things, but if the Ram is meeting your needs I wouldn't change it. Never towed with a Ram 1500 before, but the F150s I've had have been very capable with 8,000 lbs behind them.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:32 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Tom
but Super Duties don't do well in rollovers.
I find your lack of faith, disturbing. lol.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:37 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by parkland
I find your lack of faith, disturbing. lol.
If I told my wife she she had to drive her E250 HIGH top van because my F250 might roll over she'd punch my lights out. LOL

Old 10-17-2014, 11:10 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
If I told my wife she she had to drive her E250 HIGH top van because my F250 might roll over she'd punch my lights out. LOL
Ha ha, those aren't good in rollovers either! Modern half-ton trucks have side curtain airbags and generally do a decent job. See?

Safety ratings

Heavy duty pickups aren't rated.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:29 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
You know what scares the crap out of me more than anything, and they don't even test for it?
Most roll overs happen in winter, with snow everywhere.

What if you go upside down and skid along the ditch, windows busts out, and snow scoops inside and packs to tight you can't move.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:51 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by parkland
What if you go upside down and skid along the ditch, windows busts out, and snow scoops inside and packs to tight you can't move.
Fortunately you happen to drive a Super Duty. Which means that if this ever happens you probably won't be alive long enough to notice.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:53 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Tom
Fortunately you happen to drive a Super Duty. Which means that if this ever happens you probably won't be alive long enough to notice.
Oh goodness lol

Old 10-17-2014, 12:03 PM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
I wouldn't make that trade unless I was going to tow more than 8,000 lbs.

With the Ram he has a relatively new truck that is doing the job. The Super Duty is four years older and has an engine that's particularly sensitive to bad fuel. Just one tank of bad fuel could set you back $10,000 or even more if it destroys your engine. There's another thread going right now of a guy who blew up a relatively new remanufactured 6.4L engine in a couple thousand miles and it was denied warranty coverage because of bad fuel.

My second thought is that a Super Duty is about the last vehicle I'd want to put MY wife in for a 100-mile commute in bad weather. They are top-heavy and lack the stability control that your Ram has that could keep her on the road in a skid. A friend of mine rolled his '10 F250 over at 35 MPH in a snow storm and the roof crushed the passenger seat. That same seat that I was sitting in 21 days before. Can't find the pic anymore, but Super Duties don't do well in rollovers.

If you need to tow a bigger trailer that changes things, but if the Ram is meeting your needs I wouldn't change it. Never towed with a Ram 1500 before, but the F150s I've had have been very capable with 8,000 lbs behind them.
I maintain a fleet of superduty's as well as drive one this is the first I have heard of roll over potential, never heard of one or seen one, see plenty of SUV's upside down in the ditch but not a superduty, and I beat mine like a child rapist sticks to the road like glue unless im smoking the tires when the turbo spools up.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:10 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Tom
I love my superduty, damn death. I won't give it up, until they pull my stiff dead fingers off the steering wheel.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:52 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
I really don't worry too much hearing failure stories or such with fords. They sell a crap ton of trucks, especially 250's and 350's, and because of that, they are more prone to weird failures and disasters.

There are many places that run nothing but ford superduty trucks, because the bean counters figured out that the cummins dodge trucks don't really last a million miles, and the duramax trucks can't handle real hard work without costing a fortune.

That being said, I am curious how the new cummins trucks will do now with a decent transmission....

Old 10-18-2014, 06:32 PM
OldDrty
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone! We test drove the 2008 yesterday and it's pretty clean. However, I was surprised at the poor ride quality. Granted I'm more used to a 1500 Ram which IMHO rides pretty dang nice. However, the F250 has the camper package and is a SWB which I believe hurt the ride quality. I've driven 2008-2010 SWB F250s and LWB F350s w/o the camper package and they seem much better. We drove a few Ram 2500s and 3500s to contrast and they rode better, but had $10-20k more on the windshield. My wife is biased towards Dodge, while I look at each individual truck and deal for its own merit.

I'm still looking at Super Duties, but not sure on the one I initially likes. I may go back and check the tire pressure to see if since they mostly towed with it they may have filled them up for the load causing some of the bouncing effect. They said that while "going through the shop" they didn't notice any leaking shocks, so that shouldn't be the issue. Anyone else notice an excessively bouncy ride with the camper package on SWB?