1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The "Real" Sanford & Sons '51 for sale

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 03:21 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
bluelineclassics,

Thank you for preserving the truck.

With your posts on FTE the truckʻs history and future stories can also be preserved.

Have fun with your truck!

Old 01-25-2016, 06:25 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 762 Likes on 373 Posts
Great work guys!!!!

Old 01-25-2016, 07:24 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
I sure hope not. Perhaps they just cleaned it real good and it's glowing under the lights. Who'd ever thought 40 years ago watching the TV show that old beater pickup would be the star attraction of an indoor car show. Pretty amazing.

Educate me--why are you against them clear-coating the truck the way it is? I remember you were very much against me clear-coating the John Deere painting on the side of my old yard art truck.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:28 AM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It looks clear coated, but tastefully. I think it is a good idea to preserve what is left of the truck and the details we all remember from the TV show.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:01 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,440 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
Educate me--why are you against them clear-coating the truck the way it is? I remember you were very much against me clear-coating the John Deere painting on the side of my old yard art truck.
Contrary to popular belief, clear coat is anti-patina. By definition, "patina" is what you get from the natural process of oxidation over time, be it metal, paint, etc. You can't coat it to "save" it, since you've just destroyed it. You can't walk into the museum and start mopping shellac over the Mona Lisa and all the other famous art works saying you're preserving them. It doesn't work that way. It's no longer original, or correct-looking.

Point 2, remember how rust works. It takes constant exposure to moisture and/or chemicals to eat away at bare metal. If you keep the truck clean, keep drain holes clear, etc., dirt and moisture won't build up and create a problem. If you put a coating over rust, it may actually accelerate the deterioration process since the iron-oxide needs to breathe to do it's job of natural protection. Rust is benign sitting in the open sun. (case in point, all the saved trucks in the desert regions) But if you cover it, the trapped oxides will want to eat at something, and that's why you get bubbles and chipping at painted areas.

Of course, this may all just be my 2c, but that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:38 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts

I had the pleasure of meeting the owner a few months back. I even had him snap a pic of me with the truck priceless!

Old 01-25-2016, 02:43 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Contrary to popular belief, clear coat is anti-patina. By definition, "patina" is what you get from the natural process of oxidation over time, be it metal, paint, etc. You can't coat it to "save" it, since you've just destroyed it. You can't walk into the museum and start mopping shellac over the Mona Lisa and all the other famous art works saying you're preserving them. It doesn't work that way. It's no longer original, or correct-looking.

Point 2, remember how rust works. It takes constant exposure to moisture and/or chemicals to eat away at bare metal. If you keep the truck clean, keep drain holes clear, etc., dirt and moisture won't build up and create a problem. If you put a coating over rust, it may actually accelerate the deterioration process since the iron-oxide needs to breathe to do it's job of natural protection. Rust is benign sitting in the open sun. (case in point, all the saved trucks in the desert regions) But if you cover it, the trapped oxides will want to eat at something, and that's why you get bubbles and chipping at painted areas.

Of course, this may all just be my 2c, but that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks! I understand completely now. Makes sense.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:04 PM
leonharu
Laughing Gas
Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
I have a long distant cousin,one year younger than the S&S truck."Fred" is the name given years ago!No clear coat here!

Name:  0127061221_1.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  104.8 KB

Old 01-27-2016, 02:12 PM
leonharu
Laughing Gas
Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Looks like they clear-coated it??
Looks like already other changes made?Vent windows put back and is that stainless park light doors???I can't tell for sure.Down goes the "Original Authentic".Sorry,just my opinion for what it is worth!

Old 02-10-2019, 09:44 PM
bluelineclassics
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More updates

We’ve been having a blast with the truck! We do several conventions a year with the truck and some of the cast! To all the doubters out there....the truck has more than paid for its self. Our next event is in Chicago at the Hollywood Show March 22-24 for the actors who played Rollo, Smitty and Hoppy. We’ve also had the truck autographed by all the living cast. Here’s some pic!

​​​​​​​

Old 02-11-2019, 08:53 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Thanks for the update!

Old 02-11-2019, 05:52 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Here is the episode of Sanford and Son that probably had the most footage of the '51 in it. At 21:10 is a pretty funny scene.

Tom

Old 02-11-2019, 06:56 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 762 Likes on 373 Posts
Just watched the whole episode. They don't make TV like that anymore. All good clean fun and laughs.
BlueLineClassics, you have done a great job with the truck. I'm glad it has worked out for you.

Old 03-16-2024, 03:38 PM
CATINTHEHAT2
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There in fact Were 2 Sanford and Son trucks!

Originally Posted by Doc
I'd doubt there was more than one truck for this particular show. Here's an interesting tidbit. I just read the wikipedia entry on the show. It states that Donald Dimmitt (the seller's supposed FIL mentioned in the ebay ad) wrecked the truck in July, 1997. And we all know wikipedia never lies......
There in fact were 2 Sanford and Son trucks! I was in Las Vegas in 1991. Redd Foxx had a gift shop (not too far from his residence). He had BOTH trucks parked right in front of his gift shop! The funny thing was...one was a FORD and one was a CHEVY! I cannot absolutely say that the Chevy was ever used in the filming of the series...but IT DID/DOES EXIST! I saw it with my own eyes...as did both of my parents and brother...as I MADE my dad take me back there (we passed the gift shop on a tour bus headed to Laughlin) exclusively to get my picture taken with the truck(s)...

Old 03-16-2024, 04:08 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
I know from a very reliable source that the 51 F-1 will be featured in an upcoming issue of Vintage Truck. It is the actual Ford truck with "tons of documentation" to prove it. It is located in Ohio. The owner did a mechanical restoration.

Quick Reply: The "Real" Sanford & Sons '51 for sale