1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The "Real" Sanford & Sons '51 for sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 06:11 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
"Restore it to the condition it was in the show"?? It looked about the same to me, not like they buffed and waxed it every week. The whole point was that it was a junkyard truck. A restoration would ruin it.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:40 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
I have to agree with you Bob, IF we look at it only from the objective standpoint. But, come on man, it's more than just a prop in a show, especially to this particular group. The question becomes to all of us--if you were filthy rich, would you shell out $25K or more for that particular truck? My answer is YES, and I believe you would say yes also. I'd say "damned the price, what's the terms?" LOL
Doc, if I was filthy rich it would probably depend how I became filthy rich. If I inherited the money and didn't have to work for it and I really had an attachment to the show, then yes, I'd blow whatever it took to get the truck. I know this first hand. When I bought the panel truck I did it with money I inherited from when my mom died. I had always wanted a panel truck and when I saw the truck on eBay I bid until I got it. I can tell you if I had to really work for the money I would not have paid as much for it as I did. The only consolation was there was one other fool willing to pay almost as much as I did.

Now if I was filthy rich by using my magnificently superior financial mind, which I unfortunately don't possess, I would know better than to waste my money on such a overpriced piece of useless junk that is going to cost me more to obtain and restore than it's worth.

Now if I was filthy rich like the goofs who go to Barret Jackson auctions with girls young enough to be my granddaughter hanging around my neck getting more excited by the dollar I am bidding then yes, maybe I'd bid whatever it would take.

But alas, I am but a lower middle income grunt who grovels for every penny I make and the few times I have made financial choices I thought were good the choice I made turned out to be turds. I look at that truck as a realist and realize it's not worth the $20+ it will sell for. On the other hand, if I was the seller I would be totally elated that someone was foolish enough to cough up that kind of dough for something that had been sitting outside neglected all of these years.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:49 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
"Restore it to the condition it was in the show"?? It looked about the same to me, not like they buffed and waxed it every week. The whole point was that it was a junkyard truck. A restoration would ruin it.
Well said, I would keep it exactly like it is, because if you paint it then it wouldn't be the same paint that Fred G Sanford touched!

My Dad had a note framed on the dash of his virgin 1966 Dodge Coronet 440. "Cars can be restored numerous times but can be original only once"
I think the same applies to this truck, I think by redoing the rig it looses its worth

Old 10-23-2014, 06:50 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exactly my thoughts too. Just getting my truck to driving condition costs a fortune. And I'm still not quite there yet.

What Bob said.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:02 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Four hours to go.
The last 30 seconds will be a sniper fight for sure!
Unfortunately I'll be snoring soundly in bed when this auction ends at midnight.
I'll see what the result will be in the morning..

I laughed like hell at the Batman comment a few posts ago. Yep, Miss Newmar takes the prize.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:02 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
Well said, I would keep it exactly like it is, because if you paint it then it wouldn't be the same paint that Fred G Sanford touched!

My Dad had a note framed on the dash of his virgin 1966 Dodge Coronet 440. "Cars can be restored numerous times but can be original only once"
I think the same applies to this truck, I think by redoing the rig it looses its worth
I am looking at the pictures with the eye of a person who has dealt with upper Midwest rust issues all of my life. That truck is in a lot worse condition than it was in the TV show. I know just from sitting outside in the elements it probably has suffered some structural damage. My personal opinion is it should be made structural sound again so it would last, I think leaving as it is now wouldn't be a good thing. I'm sure there are ways to bring it back to the condition it was in during the filming of the show that would make it look exactly as it was. I would be more concerned with the overall preservation of the truck.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:44 PM
Cougar54
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yow! It sold for $28,000. Much more than I thought it would sell for.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:47 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougar54

like i said a fool and his money are soon parted. might not take too many of them bad decisions before he will be living in it! hahaha

easy come easy go they say.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:54 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougar54
That is much more than I expected too. The question is, will that sale actually go through. This is ebay. It would be cool if there was a way for us to find out what happens to it.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:06 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
the winning bidder STOLE it! Good for them

Old 10-24-2014, 07:52 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
the winning bidder STOLE it! Good for them

I agree. That's not simply another truck. It's a piece of American cultural history. You have to think out of the box when it comes to that truck. None of us would pass that one up if we had money coming out of our ears.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:26 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would rather have Bond's Aston Martin DB5 (especially for $25K) !! I know that's probably wrong to say on this forum but think of all the Bond girls that went along with that beauty.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:36 AM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
If anyone hears about the plans the new owner has for it, please share.
With all the FTE members here spead all over the world, somebody will be nearby when it surfaces in public again.

Tom

Old 10-24-2014, 05:10 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Skip1970
like i said a fool and his money are soon parted. might not take too many of them bad decisions before he will be living in it! hahaha

easy come easy go they say.
I am in the camp that agrees with this but as we say here so often, "It's your truck (money) and you can do with it what you want."

If I did have money coming out of my ears I would hope I made it by making good financial decisions, to me, and I know half of you strongly disagree, this is not a good financial decision. I suppose to the buyer $28K is probably walking around money, to me it isn't, far from it so I can't my mindset to understand it. I also wasn't a big fan of the show so that probably plays a big part for my thoughts about the truck. It would interesting if this truck shows up on one of the big auctions or a Vanderbrink sale. If it does then the real "more money than brains" will be out.

Hopefully we will hear what becomes of this truck.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:57 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
i say if you got it to blow why now if itll make you happy, wont do you no good when your 6 foot under.

Quick Reply: The "Real" Sanford & Sons '51 for sale