1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The "Real" Sanford & Sons '51 for sale

Old 10-22-2014, 06:29 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I'm betting it will go to $25k, but won't meet reserve, then will sell offline...
I'm thinking the same thing about not meeting reserve and selling offline, except perhaps going into the high 20's in the last nine seconds of the auction.

Other guesses anyone?

Old 10-22-2014, 06:48 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 755 Likes on 369 Posts
OK, I will play $25,300 and it doesn't sell.
You can't pick someone elses price and sell/no sale is the tie breaker.
The winner gets to help me with my truck and I won't even charge you.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:56 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see the attraction, yes I remember the show and it was pretty cool, but that truck needs a lot of work. Now Maddonna is selling her clothes, I don't want any of those either.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:07 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Skalywag
I don't see the attraction, yes I remember the show and it was pretty cool, but that truck needs a lot of work. Now Maddonna is selling her clothes, I don't want any of those either.
You won't catch anything from the truck, not sure about the clothes...

Old 10-22-2014, 07:08 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I think the point has been made several times that no one on this forum wants to pay even close to $20K for this truck. For us "regular" guys who don't have the funds (or desire) to let Chip Foose Overhaul our trucks, we'd just like to see it preserved for what it WAS, and not for what it may have deteriorated to today.

I agree that it should be in a museum because of what it WAS. It is a part of American truck culture. It's an iconic piece. Is there anyone over the age of 50 that hasn't seen it on TV?

I personally think it looks like crap, and I always have. And I don't want to own it. It's a junk truck.

But that's not the point. At least from my perspective...

Old 10-22-2014, 07:18 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
I think the point has been made several times that no one on this forum wants to pay even close to $20K for this truck. For us "regular" guys who don't have the funds (or desire) to let Chip Foose Overhaul our trucks, we'd just like to see it preserved for what it WAS, and not for what it may have deteriorated to today.

I agree that it should be in a museum because of what it WAS. It is a part of American truck culture. It's an iconic piece. Is there anyone over the age of 50 that hasn't seen it on TV?

I personally think it looks like crap, and I always have. And I don't want to own it. It's a junk truck.

But that's not the point. At least from my perspective...
I agree with eveything you said. Someone needs to buy it and preserve it to its former state, but at what cost.
I have a 1947 ****** that I have about $3500 into it. If I spend one more denero , I'll never get it back. Be carefull of what you buy and how much you put into it. I love my old jeep, but it is not a retirement investment. And anyone that thinks they are never going to sell their project is fooling themselves.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:28 PM
pineconeford

I just read that Quincy Jones is still around and active in charities. Now he would be a good next owner...with the ways and means to preserve it as an icon.
His song and that truck just go together.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:45 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by pineconeford
I just read that Quincy Jones is still around and active in charities. Now he would be a good next owner...with the ways and means to preserve it as an icon.
His song and that truck just go together.
I just left him a message about the truck on his FaceBook page...

Old 10-22-2014, 07:45 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
You won't catch anything from the truck, not sure about the clothes...
I already have an STD. shabby truck disorder.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:32 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
i say sell the truck to a tv history type place to hold onto it at a cheap price. id rather watch more reruns of sanford and sons then go see that truck personally. i wouldnt want to go see any of the furniture they were sitting on from the show either. the people make the show great, it wasent like it was the dukes of hazzard where it was all about the car and stunts.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:42 AM
pineconeford

Originally Posted by Skip1970
.... the people make the show great, it wasent like it was the dukes of hazzard where it was all about the car and stunts.

Dukes of Hazzard had a car & Daisy.
Sanford & Son had a truck & Aunt Ester.

Point goes to the Dukes.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:33 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master

Point goes to the Dukes.

Batman had the batmobile and Julie Newmar..
10 points go to Batman

Old 10-23-2014, 04:09 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts
Currently $25,200 and the reserve has been met.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:44 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by Skalywag
I agree with eveything you said. Someone needs to buy it and preserve it to its former state, but at what cost.
I have a 1947 ****** that I have about $3500 into it. If I spend one more denero , I'll never get it back. Be carefull of what you buy and how much you put into it. I love my old jeep, but it is not a retirement investment. And anyone that thinks they are never going to sell their project is fooling themselves.
Originally Posted by JPMallory
Currently $25,200 and the reserve has been met.
I personally wouldn't value this truck more than $10K, mainly because the historical value. If it wasn't for that I'd say $3K, at most. It's going to take at least $20K to properly restore it back to the condition it was on the show.

The problem with all of the stuff we Baby Boomers have grown up with is we seem to place way too high of a value on it all. It was a truck, a prop on a TV show, plain and simple. It didn't bring us some kind of scientific or medical break through. It didn't advance our society in any real way. It's kind of funny for the first 20+ years after the show went off the air it sat in disregard outside, next to a building just rotting away. Now it's worth a small fortune?

Point goes to the Dukes.

Originally Posted by drptop70ss
Batman had the batmobile and Julie Newmar..
10 points go to Batman
I have to agree with you of both of you but man, the Batmobile and Julie Newmar in the Cat Girl custom, they have my vote!!

Old 10-23-2014, 06:08 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I personally wouldn't value this truck more than $10K, mainly because the historical value. If it wasn't for that I'd say $3K, at most. It's going to take at least $20K to properly restore it back to the condition it was on the show.

The problem with all of the stuff we Baby Boomers have grown up with is we seem to place way too high of a value on it all. It was a truck, a prop on a TV show, plain and simple. It didn't bring us some kind of scientific or medical break through. It didn't advance our society in any real way. It's kind of funny for the first 20+ years after the show went off the air it sat in disregard outside, next to a building just rotting away. Now it's worth a small fortune?

I have to agree with you of both of you but man, the Batmobile and Julie Newmar in the Cat Girl custom, they have my vote!!

I have to agree with you Bob, IF we look at it only from the objective standpoint. But, come on man, it's more than just a prop in a show, especially to this particular group. The question becomes to all of us--if you were filthy rich, would you shell out $25K or more for that particular truck? My answer is YES, and I believe you would say yes also. I'd say "damned the price, what's the terms?" LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The "Real" Sanford & Sons '51 for sale