1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The "Real" Sanford & Sons '51 for sale

Old 10-14-2014, 01:58 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
The "Real" Sanford & Sons '51 for sale

Lots of trucks have been on the auction site claiming to be "the" S&S truck, this guy appears to have the provenance to back his claims...

Ford Other Pickups Pickup Model H15 | eBay

Old 10-14-2014, 02:39 PM
abeagle
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wished I had all the supporting info on my truck that he seems to have. If it isn't real and valid they sure are trying to pull one out. Seems like they might have gotten more at one of the influential auctions, but who knows.

Bruce

Old 10-14-2014, 04:04 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If it is what they claim, I would think it would be in the Smithsonian. After all it is a huge piece of Americana. $20k bid is a fortune to me, but mere pocket change, to a many of people. After that rebuilt (LOL) C4 I bought on EBAY,I have learned to do my homework.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:27 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm just wondering if there was more than one Sanford & Son truck for filming on various sets, similar to Duke's of Hazzard. Either way, show truck or not, it's not worth 20K or more.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:50 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by imlowr2
I'm just wondering if there was more than one Sanford & Son truck for filming on various sets, similar to Duke's of Hazzard. Either way, show truck or not, it's not worth 20K or more.
I'd doubt there was more than one truck for this particular show. Here's an interesting tidbit. I just read the wikipedia entry on the show. It states that Donald Dimmitt (the seller's supposed FIL mentioned in the ebay ad) wrecked the truck in July, 1997. And we all know wikipedia never lies......

Old 10-14-2014, 04:57 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Here's another interesting article about it. It doesn't mention the wreck.

'Sanford and Son' pickup is back on the road - South Bend Tribune

Old 10-14-2014, 06:10 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
There was a FTE member, lindaloumc , who owned the truck and posted her information about the truck and how she and her husband obtained it. She only made 12 post for only a couple of months:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...d-and-son.html

She has a FTE gallery set up with pictures of the truck. It matches the truck in the eBay auction:

1951 Ford F1 4x2 - Sanford and Son Truck

Old 10-14-2014, 07:02 PM
wallster
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a still from the TV show. The background of the lettering has a black "cloud" sprayed on the door but the one on ebay does not. I only know this because I want to paint this on my truck doors but my wife is dead set against it... still might do it though!

EDIT: According to a still in the opening scene, the passenger's side door does NOT appear to have the black "cloud" (see pic). Who knows, could be the truck??

Wally

Old 10-14-2014, 07:52 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Here's the theme song.....

Having a '51 myself..............I love to listen to 'ol Quincy.
I remember my father laughing his as* off watching this show in the early 70's.

Tom

Old 10-14-2014, 07:59 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
If the truck is original, why does it have an OHV engine in it?
Didn't that engine make its first appearance in '52?

Tom

Old 10-14-2014, 08:00 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
If you look at the picture of the truck in the FTE gallery and compare it to the eBay image you can see it's the same truck. If it's not someone did A LOT of work to duplicate it. As for the "Sanford & Son" on the driver's door, the FTE member said it was removed when they got it and had it repainted on the door so it's probably not exactly like the lettering in the show.

The one thing I noticed on the opening scene for Sanford and Son the truck has the stainless windshield trim both the truck owned by the FTE member and the one on eBay, which again, I think is the same truck, doesn't have the stainless trim.

Here's a video capture I took off a Youtube video, it shows what might be a different door graphic than the others, at least the bottom lines look blurred out:

This one shows the truck in this video clip had the Five Star trim, the eBay truck also has it so maybe the windshield on the eBay truck was replaced and the trim piece wasn't reinstalled for some reason:

Here's a scene with the license plate clearly showing and compare the rear bumper:

Here's the plate on the eBay ad, if this isn't the truck the seller has done a lot of work and document collecting:

There could have been more than one truck even if the documentation says there was only one. After all, it was a prop in a TV show and they didn't seem to be too worried about it if they left it sit behind a building.

Only a bunch of goofy old truck guys could have a discussion like this

The following users liked this post:
abe
Old 10-14-2014, 08:04 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by pineconeford
If the truck is original, why does it have an OHV engine in it?
Didn't that engine make its first appearance in '52?

Tom
It's being advertised as the original TV show truck, not an original stock truck. I would guess that the engine could have been replaced some time between 1951 and the mid-late '70s when the show was on. That wouldn't be uncommon for a newer, easier to find engine to be used.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:13 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
What's strange about the engine swap is, it's a 223-6, according to Lindalou's gallery. I have to wonder how they got that to work with a 51 frame. '52's had different angled braces to accommodate the 215-6.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:15 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
The truck deserves to be in a museum, just as it is. It wasn't perfect when it was in the show. The list of vehicles that played a similar part in their respective TV shows (not movies) is not very big. Off the top of my head: The General Lee, Crockett's Ferrari, Starsky's Gran Torino, The A-Team Van, etc.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:29 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Doc
The truck deserves to be in a museum, just as it is. It wasn't perfect when it was in the show. The list of vehicles that played a similar part in their respective TV shows (not movies) is not very big. Off the top of my head: The General Lee, Crockett's Ferrari, Starsky's Gran Torino, The A-Team Van, etc.
Don't forget the all time favorite, at least mine, the Bat Mobile, the original one. Also the Clampett's Buick truck. There are other, less notable vehicles that most people wouldn't associate with any certain TV shows but I'm sure I'd be able to. I'm a car and truck geek.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The "Real" Sanford & Sons '51 for sale