1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Tire help, concerning pic of wierd damage and warranty inquiery.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 11:18 PM
Diesel 724
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tire help, concerning pic of wierd damage and warranty inquiery.

All my tires, Cooper Discoverer A/T 265-75-16 have warn extremly fast. It has been under a year since they were bought new, and i gaurentee only about 20k miles TOPS. if that. The rears wore alot worse then the front, but dont get wrong, the front is under 50% easily. This all happened withOUT ever using 4x4 the entire time, or not ever doing a burn out and spinning tire. So my step dad i were examining them and i just so happened to look down to find a hole in my tread. Not a screw hole, a legit chunk bigger then a quarter round, of tread missing, to where bands/metal is showing. I dont have any idea how this happened. He told me to go down to the tire shop we got them from and ask about a warranty or defect relacement prorate. Last year i went there when yhe tires i bought from them, one of them blew a sidewall band all its own and took out the sidewall. The guy pretty much told me, good luck, pound salt, and give me $900 if you want new tires. Well being a ******* and needing tires bad, and that being the only one of two shops in my town that offer an E range tire, I made an appointment and forked over.the cash. So going there tomorrow i dont see any positive outcome from it, but he insist i go try. So i wanted to ask you guys what your opinions were about the hole, and if thats a defect or due to the milege i got out of them if that or anything should be covered by anything where i can get replaced for free. I want to go in with a sort of knowledge instead of being dumbfounded and looking completely stupid. If he says theres nothing he can do, i will tell him ok i guess im going to have to order and buy new tires, then proceed to the door and tell him "somewhere else".

Old 10-14-2014, 12:19 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Look the tire up yourself. See what the manufacture says. But most go by the thread left on the tire. That tire looks gone by the picture.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:39 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
ya, i agree with Chet. That tires' seen better days...theres a "bridge' between the treads on tires. Its what cops go off of, if they think the tires are unsafe for travel. Once "bridge" has wear, tires' done with travel.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:18 AM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup... Well below min tread depth...

Love it when I guy posts on CL "Tires for sale 50% tread or better" then you see them and there is about 4/32" left... up buddy, there junk.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:10 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
I had damage like that to some highway tread Toyos after scrambling around on some rocks offroad. Mine was a lot worse, but like that.

I'd recommend a full alignment with the new tires. Go for the "lifetime" alignment if they offer it, and you plan to keep the truck.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:15 PM
Diesel 724
Elder User
Thanks, i was very busy today and didnt even make it down there. Not like i wanted to go because i know this guys gonna say the same thing as last year.

Does anyone reccomend any good tires that are not going to cost me everything i have? I see theyre cheaper online, but once you add shipping and installment its over a shops price. Places like PepBoys that do buy 3 get one one free dont carry an E range and their brands they use dont make or offer one. Atleast i know they didnt last year when i tried them. 265-75-R16 is stock, which are little, i had 285-75-16s in Micky Thompason Baja Claws, they set the truck nice and high, looked aggressive, and were priced right (in a kit mounted and balanced with Moto Metal wheels) but they worn down SOO fast on highway and pavement surfaces id never go med tire again. And the price between a 265 and a 285 is like, WOW!!

Anyone have any GOOD A/T tire suggestions? Or where to get cheap? I need them bad.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:33 PM
BigTruk small feet
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had reasonably good performance from Bridgestone A/T's on my dually.
They've been on for three years, and are good for another year to year and a half doing about 25,000 km/year.

The tire that has impressed me the most over the years I have on my Grumman 3/4 ton work van which are Firestone Steeltex radial A/T's
They lasted about 6-7 years with 25,000 km per year use.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:48 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
There are several on-line retailers that have decent pricing. You could give one of them a shot. My only real concern with those are the born on date on the tire. I've "heard" some are as old as three years when they're delivered. I know some states are enacting laws preventing the sale of anything over two years.

It is very difficult to find a long lasting and guaranteed A/T anywhere without mortgaging your home. I went to HT's for that reason years ago.

I have been stuck one time since then. But, short of tracks anything would have gotten stuck.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:59 PM
sgarder
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately Firestone does not make the Steeltex anymore. The replacement is Transforce A/T, and it has been a very good tire for me and my employer, a municipality.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:59 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by sgarder
Unfortunately Firestone does not make the Steeltex anymore. The replacement is Transforce A/T, and it has been a very good tire for me and my employer, a municipality.
I have Bridgestone Revo 2s, very happy with the compromise between highway and offroad ability. About half done with 25k. Darn near took the Transforce A/Ts tho, 90% of the ability at 75% of the cost, IMO.

OT to sgarder: Aeroforce plus BTM? Love to head a video of that!

To OP: to keep cost down get a quote for 2 sets of tires from store #1, Goodyear BFGs (they prolly have room to deal on those) and some other tire you like. Try to deal with the owner, and let him know you are shopping. Take that quote to store #2 and ask him to beat it. Choose the deal you are most comfortable with. Remember it's your money and they need to earn it, and $20 either way means less than rep of the guy you buy it from.