Sponsored by:

Parking Brake Switch Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 11:02 PM
stpete
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking Brake Switch Problem?

I've been having a problem lately where I'm driving down the road and the brake light comes on and starts binging. I stop push the parking brake and release it a few times, then the light goes out and I'm on my way. Sometimes when I first release it the light doesn't extinguish and sometimes it is never on. I'm guessing there is a switch somewhere for the parking brake that isn't working so great. Is it around the pedal or somewhere in the brakes themselves? Is this a typical problem?

Old 10-13-2014, 11:48 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Mine has the same problem. It's had the same problem for around 2 years now.

I'm pretty sure my problem (and yours) is the parking brake switch that's either going bad, or not being activated by the parking brake.

One of the reasons I'm putting mine off is because I suck at anything electrical and I have a feeling I'll need to use a multi-meter and check for continuity.

Stewart

Old 10-14-2014, 05:36 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Check the rubber stopper on the brake pedal that presses the brake light switch, sometimes it gets smashed. Also the switch itself can be cleaned iirc, it's nothing but a ground.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:03 AM
stpete
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jmatthews
Check the rubber stopper on the brake pedal that presses the brake light switch, sometimes it gets smashed. Also the switch itself can be cleaned iirc, it's nothing but a ground.
That sounds promisiing. I'll take a look at that soon. I've had that problem with clutch switches before (no cruise control).

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
One of the reasons I'm putting mine off is because I suck at anything electrical and I have a feeling I'll need to use a multi-meter and check for continuity.

Stewart
Ha, I'll post what I find. I'm OK with electrical type stuff, but am still putting off looking into why my interior lights usually don't go on when the doors open. It's not fun.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:58 PM
stpete
Senior User
So, I'm guessing that there should be a rubber stopper where the hole is in this picture. Looks like I need that and a new switch for correct functionality. The switch itself doesn't spring back. Looks like it occasionally vibrates its way out to be really annoying for a while until the pedal eventually contacts it. I guess the pedal doesn't always go up perfectly straight so the switch will go through the hole.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:40 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Yep, need a new rubber.... Stopper.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:25 AM
stpete
Senior User
Yep, need a new rubber.... Stopper.
I hate when I lose my rubber ... let's use the proper term from Ford ... bumper.

Ordered new bumper and switch, about $25 from ford-parts.com. Which means, it'll arrive sometime between this afternoon and 3 weeks from now. I also ordered some sway bar bushings, all the aftermarket seem to be 4WD no matter what they say.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:46 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by stpete
Ordered new bumper and switch, about $25 from ford-parts.com.
Part numbers, please!

Stewart

Old 10-17-2014, 12:57 PM
stpete
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Part numbers, please!

Stewart
<TABLE class=ecxorderLineItem><TBODY><TR><TD>1. </TD><TD>F2UZ15A851A</TD><TD colSpan=2></TD><TR><TD><TD colSpan=2>SWITCH - PARKING BRAKE WARNING</TD><TD>Price: $16.60</TD></TR><TR><TD>2. </TD><TD>F85Z2B184AA</TD><TD colSpan=2></TD><TR><TD><TD colSpan=2>BUMPER</TD><TD>Price: $6.67</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Note: You may want to wait and make sure these do the job. I always seem to have issues with ford truck parts.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
<TABLE class=ecxorderLineItem><TBODY><TR><TD>1. </TD><TD>F2UZ15A851A</TD><TD colSpan=2></TD><TR><TD><TD colSpan=2>SWITCH - PARKING BRAKE WARNING</TD><TD>Price: $16.60</TD></TR><TR><TD>2. </TD><TD>F85Z2B184AA</TD><TD colSpan=2></TD><TR><TD><TD colSpan=2>BUMPER</TD><TD>Price: $6.67</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Note: You may want to wait and make sure these do the job. I always seem to have issues with ford truck parts.
Oh, it's gonna be awhile. My back doesn't allow me to get into a position to get under the dash (or do much of anything really) and my go-to guy is recovering from a near death meeting with a tree and some broken ribs, so it's gonna be awhile. I just wanted the numbers posted for future info.

Stewart

Old 10-23-2014, 08:37 AM
stpete
Senior User
Bumper part number is correct. Not surprisingly, the brake release is much quieter also.

I hear you on the back problems. The bumper is a simple kneel on the ground operation. Switch was a no-show, no explanation, just no switch. Should at least cure the light coming on problem. But, the light not coming on problem remains.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:32 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Reps for the update.

Stewart

Old 11-07-2014, 10:48 AM
stpete
Senior User
The switch fixed the whole thing. Had to wait for the vendor to send one as it wasn't in the first shippment. I suspect a little work on the old one might have made it work. But, it's cheap and 5 minutes to replace.\
Now my concern is why it is so corroded. I wonder if my windshield is leaking?

Old 11-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

The switch fixed the whole thing. Had to wait for the vendor to send one as it wasn't in the first shippment. I suspect a little work on the old one might have made it work. But, it's cheap and 5 minutes to replace.\ Now my concern is why it is so corroded. I wonder if my windshield is leaking?
Mine was corroded too, I doubt your windshield is leaking, it would probably show up elsewhere. I cleaned mine and got it to work and added and extra ground to boot. Every time I have a electrical problem it seems it's a ground wire haha.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:20 AM
ford_model'a'
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I had a corroded switch too. Turns out water was leaking through the roof where the seam sealer failed, than ran along the headliner to the A pillar down the quarter panel right to that Parking Brake Switch.

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Switch Problem?