Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the Correct Rear Leaf Spring Shackle Angle? (trying to interchange springs)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 10:42 PM
akuhr93'f150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the Correct Rear Leaf Spring Shackle Angle? (trying to interchange springs)

Hello all!

Thanks for clicking in.

I have a 94 4x4 xl f150 that is in dire need of new rear leaf springs. The old ones are bent into an ~ shape and have resulted in a terrible pinion angle. I have no idea what the previous owner did but he managed to bent both springs, break a traction bar, twist the driveshaft and I just got done replacing the mazda 5-speed that unexpectedly failed. Aaaaanyways to the point.

~Sshaped Front of Springs

Current Shackle Angle at Rear of Springs

At Rest/Unloaded Pinion Angle That'll Make A Grown Man Cry

My rear spring code is I - 1,655lbs springs
Dimesnions and info here:
1980-1996 Ford F150 4wd, F250 2wd 4wd - Leaf Spring (Rear - 3/1 Leaves) - 43-965 | $138.95

I was researching the possibility of a slightly stronger spring. Don't "need" em but I decided if I could find heavier springs close to the price of my stock springs I would invest in them since they were getting replaced anyways. I found these, they are even cheaper! And much stronger. The axle to shackle length of spring is a bit shorter though and I want to unsure they will work but I do not have the correct shackle angle to compare anything to.
1980-1996 Ford F150 4wd, F250 2wd 4wd - Leaf Spring (Rear - 4/1 Leaves) - 43-695 | $88.95

*If anyone knows the correct shackle angle please let me know.*

*Also if anyone can suggest a good quality spring for these f150s Id be happy to hear it.*

Thanks in advance,
-Andrew

Old 10-14-2014, 05:56 AM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Shackle angle is fine as it is and will vary depending on load, will run out of "spring" before run out of "shackle" fitted with correct springs.

What's the scoop with the traction bar/rod in the top picture and why no pictures of it included? It does have one on both sides correct? connected to axle/spring aft end correct?

Looks like it might be in part reason for pinion angle at this point, probably not when originally installed no but now after spring sag/S'd out yea.... hard to say based on little actually see in picture of it.. maybe not what it is....

Old 10-14-2014, 08:03 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by akuhr93'f150
*Also if anyone can suggest a good quality spring for these f150s Id be happy to hear it.*
I am sure there are other quality sources but I have bought front and rear springs from ATS Junior and am very happy with them. I can PM you his contact info if he doesn't post here soon.

Do you have any pics of where the spring meets the axle perch and/or lift blocks?

Old 10-14-2014, 08:18 AM
ewalt98
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't know if it is possible with the OBS 1/2 tons, but if you could retrofit later springs from the 97 and up 1/2 tons, you might get a better ride and the same carrying capacity. That is what I did with my 1 ton using later SD springs..
I've used this chart to peruse options:
http://littlekeylime.com/MrN/mrnimages/leaf_springs.png

Old 10-14-2014, 09:50 AM
akuhr93'f150
Senior User
Originally Posted by LeoJr
I am sure there are other quality sources but I have bought front and rear springs from ATS Junior and am very happy with them. I can PM you his contact info if he doesn't post here soon.

Do you have any pics of where the spring meets the axle perch and/or lift blocks?
I do not have any currently. There is no blocks, not even stock ones. I believe it sits right on the perch with no shims. I can take one later. But I plan 1) getting new springs then 2)further correcting the pinion because new springs should correct most of the angle initially.

Originally Posted by ewalt98
Don't know if it is possible with the OBS 1/2 tons, but if you could retrofit later springs from the 97 and up 1/2 tons, you might get a better ride and the same carrying capacity. That is what I did with my 1 ton using later SD springs..
I've used this chart to peruse options:
http://littlekeylime.com/MrN/mrnimages/leaf_springs.png
I have heard of this! But I do not mind the ride of these 9th Gen F-series and do not plan on turning this into larger project. Just looking for bolt on interchangeability.

That chart is very in depth and full of information! Thanks

Originally Posted by danr1
Shackle angle is fine as it is and will vary depending on load, will run out of "spring" before run out of "shackle" fitted with correct springs.

What's the scoop with the traction bar/rod in the top picture and why no pictures of it included? It does have one on both sides correct? connected to axle/spring aft end correct?

Looks like it might be in part reason for pinion angle at this point, probably not when originally installed no but now after spring sag/S'd out yea.... hard to say based on little actually see in picture of it.. maybe not what it is....
Roger that on the shackle angle. The new springs will be 1 and 1/8 inches shorter which should still fit then but the shackle will be more angled toward the front of the truck as it will have to "reach" for the leaf spring.

Traction bars are shortie bolt-ons. They bolt onto the U-bolts at the axle (topside) and bolt into a hole just above the front hanger. Neither are functional. One is snapped above the hanger and the other is completely loose. They currently have no effect.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:32 PM
krooser
Elder User
Find the correct length springs. If you can find a real spring shop in your area you can have them build a heavier spring for you. This will have the correct length main leaf but one or two shorter leaves added for stiffness.

Eaton Detroit Spring may be able to help you.

http://www.eatondetroitspring.com

Now I see you are in Milwaukee… call National Spring on Mitchell St. in West Milwaukee. They will build whatever you need.

http://nationalspringinc.com

Old 10-14-2014, 07:37 PM
akuhr93'f150
Senior User
Originally Posted by krooser

Now I see you are in Milwaukee… call National Spring on Mitchell St. in West Milwaukee. They will build whatever you need.

National Spring
Yes! I actually went in a couple weeks ago to get a quote from national. Very friendly people. I was considering having someone else do the job because I heard this job can be a bear. But after getting the quote and taking the time to consider it, I decided to do it myself considering my truck has very little rust and all the metal parts are in good condition. I believe the quote was fair, just cost much more than doing it myself.

Plus I kinda like Automotive repair, kind of a hobby. If I don't do any automotive work for a while I start to get the twitch and can't focus on anything else until I line up a new project

...No it's not drugs or tobacco I swear.

I am going to see if I can find some nearly new springs around in the local salvage yards before I make a purchase. Maybe it'll be my turn to get real lucky.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:55 PM
krooser
Elder User
They can rebuild those springs, too. Probably will need a new main leaf… they can re-arch those leaves and make 'em look like new.

Many years ago when Les (RIP) was the shop foreman he built several reverse eye main leaves for me that I used to drop the front ends on 28-34 Ford hot rods… I also had a couple Hendrickson suspensions rebushed there...