1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Help!!!! New member buffeting issue with windows up!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:37 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't see how going to a lower load rated tire would void the warrantee. As long as you don't exceed that rating in your loadings, you're fine as far as any liability increase goes, but even then with the lawyers and courts of today, you're never absolved (100%)of liability in an accident. Look at the maximum GVW on your van, then compare it to the total load rating of all 4 tires combined and see how that compares.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:12 PM
canoe86
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baddad457
I don't see how going to a lower load rated tire would void the warrantee. As long as you don't exceed that rating in your loadings, you're fine as far as any liability increase goes, but even then with the lawyers and courts of today, you're never absolved (100%)of liability in an accident. Look at the maximum GVW on your van, then compare it to the total load rating of all 4 tires combined and see how that compares.
I have no idea, I just know they put my original tires back on, at 80 psi because the regional technician told them too.

NOW, they want to possible drive another 600 miles on the van to take it to a dealer who has a similar van and see if THAT van does what this one does. As I've mentioned, not everyone has the same reaction to this noise/phenomenon, so I told them I want a couple of us to be there when this happens.

Truly, its getting a bit disgusting.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:09 PM
canoe86
Freshman User
Originally Posted by canoe86
I have no idea, I just know they put my original tires back on, at 80 psi because the regional technician told them too.

NOW, they want to possible drive another 600 miles on the van to take it to a dealer who has a similar van and see if THAT van does what this one does. As I've mentioned, not everyone has the same reaction to this noise/phenomenon, so I told them I want a couple of us to be there when this happens.

Truly, its getting a bit disgusting.
Dealer is reading this forum now.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:51 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
Once again I'll play Donnie Downer and chime in---I've been following this thread since Day One FWIW.............in no particular order here are my observations.......

-As this is a converted van Ford's liability or responsibility is limited only to what they produced, nothing else. If something has been done by the converter and it can be proved to be the sole cause of this "buffeting" it will fall 100% to them for repairing etc.

-A dealer who says they're reviewing this site or any other in hopes of finding a solution might be a bit less than 100% honest. Despite a flood of ideas, suggestions and anecdotal suggestions we're still not seemingly begun to solve whatever Canoe is experiencing with this one van. Sadly the interweb can be as misleading and plain wrong as it is helpful, IMHO a dealer MIGHT read this forum but its unlikely they would discover anything here they don't already know. I'm speaking only of the Ford product, not the conversion portions.

-I was at one time loosely associated with the remaining entity of a regionally-known converter aka Van Masters. After the parent company's closure they became an ersatz point for maintaining, refitting and occasional new conversions in the style of the original design and manufacture. Over approximately 7 years there was NEVER an issue anything like this described here, either from vans 10+ years old or the newest conversions either.

-A friend of the company whose overly critical perception of what "should be" had tremendous issues with another new van converted by a long forgotten company, then of decent reputation. Over a period of 5 years repeated trips to the selling vehicle dealership, more than a few meetings with regional representatives and an escalation to legal representation all resulted in much the same action as we see here--nothing.

It was eventually decided there were no issues as described or presented by our friend, both the converter and the vehicle manufacturer citing the claimed conditions had never before been reported and during the run of this case/incidence no other even remotely similar reports had been filed. (This seems reasonable only because everyone was anxious to resolve this one instance in order to move onto bigger concerns.)

This isn't meant to dismiss or discount Canoe's dissatisfaction with his particular van however it just doesn't seem to be all that common a problem, not to the degree it should or does alarm the masses of other van owners. I fully believe as my own opinion this is a case of expectations exceeding practicality which sometimes happens. Should that prove to be the case there is no resolution other than being rid of this van.

I sincerely hope whatever issue is causing Canoe's distress is resolved in his favor, quickly and fairly without incurring any financial loss or impact.

Should Canoe be interested in further info about what's possible please PM me for "more of the story" as Paul Harvey once upon a time suggested.........

Old 11-12-2014, 12:59 PM
canoe86
Freshman User
Originally Posted by JWA

This isn't meant to dismiss or discount Canoe's dissatisfaction with his particular van however it just doesn't seem to be all that common a problem, not to the degree it should or does alarm the masses of other van owners. I fully believe as my own opinion this is a case of expectations exceeding practicality which sometimes happens. Should that prove to be the case there is no resolution other than being rid of this van.
My expectations on a new car is to be able to drive it without headaches and ear issues after 20 minutes. I don't think I'm out of line with that.

Whether this is a common problem or not a common problem has no bearing on the current situation. There IS a current problem with the van I've been sold. Now maybe you can take a $17,000 hit........that is what they offered me.......after 5 months of vehicle use, but I can't and won't.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:04 PM
WarrensE350
Tuned
Whether this is a common problem or not a common problem has no bearing on the current situation.
That's not entirely true. Remember, you're asking the Intertubes for help with the diagnosis. Since none of us can see your van in person or experience the issue for ourselves, we're left to speculate. If this was a common issue, the interwebs would know about it, understand your issue, and potentially identify leads you can follow up on. It's really no wonder the described issue is met by some with a bit of a sideways glance. No one else has heard of it occurring in the E series platform. Like, ever.

That said... What about your conversion is different from other more 'standard' conversions? My 96 conversion, although I had nothing to do with the ordering or firsthand delivery when new, seems to be converted the standard way; carpet on the walls, curtains/blinds, 4 big squishy captain's chairs, padded roof, carpeted doghouse, wood trim, big cutout windows, etc. Did you do anything 'custom' to it? Also, is there another conversion done similar to yours you can use as a comparison to see how it drives out? Who knows, maybe there's a hard piece of insulation that was not properly fitted between the wall and the conversion panels or roof that's flopping around. I really want to know what the issue ends up being because everyone following this thread is surely quite intrigued by now.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:36 PM
canoe86
Freshman User
Originally Posted by WarrensE350
That's not entirely true. Remember, you're asking the Intertubes for help with the diagnosis. Since none of us can see your van in person or experience the issue for ourselves, we're left to speculate. If this was a common issue, the interwebs would know about it, understand your issue, and potentially identify leads you can follow up on. It's really no wonder the described issue is met by some with a bit of a sideways glance. No one else has heard of it occurring in the E series platform. Like, ever.

That said... What about your conversion is different from other more 'standard' conversions? My 96 conversion, although I had nothing to do with the ordering or firsthand delivery when new, seems to be converted the standard way; carpet on the walls, curtains/blinds, 4 big squishy captain's chairs, padded roof, carpeted doghouse, wood trim, big cutout windows, etc. Did you do anything 'custom' to it? Also, is there another conversion done similar to yours you can use as a comparison to see how it drives out? Who knows, maybe there's a hard piece of insulation that was not properly fitted between the wall and the conversion panels or roof that's flopping around. I really want to know what the issue ends up being because everyone following this thread is surely quite intrigued by now.
I didn't mean that comment from this board perspective, but from the perspective of....I'm not crazy. The lack of this happening before does not mean it is not happening with my van. Just because FORD has not heard of it before, or posters, doesn't make it my imagination or lack of understanding on how the van should drive. I traded in a E-series van for this new one. (and we wish we could just have it back btw.) AND, this is our Fourth conversion van since 1994, and fifth van total in that period of time.

That is possibly the most frustrating part is people don't believe me, especially the service manager. The sales manager hears it and agrees it is wrong, which adds validity to what I'm saying. BUT, to what point would I be making this up? I've taken the equivalent of 3 days of work chasing this, driven at least 1000 miles on it, one over night stay, food and gas. It is the only vehicle my whole family can ride in, which 4 or 5 times, we've been force to take 2 cars someplace. And we live in a rural area, NOTHING is close. (Town is a 30 mile round trip.) PLUS, no I've had to rent a vehicle for almost a month for an upcoming trip, for almost $2000. Keep in mind, I brought this to the attention of the dealer at the beginning of AUGUST. AUGUST.

Nothing extra has been done, bought it off the lot. Seems to be basically like any other conversion van I've ever had concerning the interior. Nothing spectacular, very basic, and normal.

Nearest place with a similar van is Grand Rapids which is the dealer that the dealer I bought it from got the van. The dealer floated the idea of driving down there in my van, which is about a 400 mile round trip. Keep in mind, I've already driven it to Indiana once....600 miles round trip to try and get an answer. PLUS trips to the dealer which is about 30 miles one way, and the miles are adding up, not to mention TIME. The dealer is trying to locate a van right now.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:21 PM
WarrensE350
Tuned
And I don't mean to imply you're making it up, either. Stretch... are the new windows in right? Is it possible they're somehow loose and wobbling? Are all the new conversion trim parts tight?

Old 11-12-2014, 03:26 PM
econolinemanor
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a 2010 Fusion 4dr and if I have the rear windows down at the right speed it will shake the whole car, it looks like there's a sub woofer getting ready to blow out the back window........LOL. I do wonder if your other conversion vans were 150s?

Old 11-12-2014, 05:35 PM
canoe86
Freshman User
Originally Posted by econolinemanor
I've got a 2010 Fusion 4dr and if I have the rear windows down at the right speed it will shake the whole car, it looks like there's a sub woofer getting ready to blow out the back window........LOL. I do wonder if your other conversion vans were 150s?
In this order

Chevy full size
Astro
Chevy full size
Ford 12 passenger. BTW this was a one ton 350.
Now this one

Old 11-12-2014, 09:10 PM
canoe86
Freshman User
Originally Posted by WarrensE350
And I don't mean to imply you're making it up, either. Stretch... are the new windows in right? Is it possible they're somehow loose and wobbling? Are all the new conversion trim parts tight?
I know you're not, I'm just a bit sensitive about the whole darn thing.

Windows have been checked and are tight.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:27 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
...........I'm just a bit sensitive about the whole darn thing.
You're entitled to those feelings---I'd feel much the same way were I in that same position.

Not sure in what state you reside but check whether your area has "lemon laws" that could very well apply to your situation. If those are available you have a very strong case to present.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:40 PM
tims01
Elder User
i know this buffeting (drum) you speak of.. i have very sensitive ears and i can not ride in vehicles if the buffeting (drum )you are describing is happening.. i own a E350 cargo van.. and before i loaded it up with items and insulated it i would get the ( drum ) effect which is what it sounds like you are describing and it hurts the ears from the pressure differences.... .. you might just have to give the vehicle back and go buy some other vehicle .. i know i did on a older chevy van when i worked for a company that had all chevy vans ..

Old 12-15-2014, 09:13 PM
tx2sturgis
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question the rest of the story...

So...

where are we in the resolution of this issue?

Enquiring minds wanna know...

Old 12-16-2014, 04:05 PM
canoe86
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tx2sturgis
So...

where are we in the resolution of this issue?

Enquiring minds wanna know...
Sorry for not keeping everyone up to date, but truly, the dealership is aware of this forum, so I haven't updated.

I can give some details.

I dropped my vehicle off for a 4th time in early november, giving the dealership TWO articles on a possible solution as well as all of the ideas presented here. My understanding is, they kept it seven days but would not have anyone look at it since they were not going to be paid for it from Ford.

So, I started legal proceedings against Ford, etc.

I had to rent a vehicle for a month for our trip.

The van goes into a different dealership in a few days for a "second opinion" which Ford customer service recommended and my lawyer said was ok too.

The original dealership is basically refusing to give me some paperwork on top of everything else, so we are taking steps to remedy that too.

That is the current status.

Quick Reply: Help!!!! New member buffeting issue with windows up!!