Jeep roll cage in bronco

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 05:16 PM
Infinite Monkeys
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeep roll cage in bronco

Hi,

I'm thinking about putting in a jeep roll cage in my EB. The kind that attach at the windshield and have 4 mounting points in the back. Any one have pictures of this? Or can comment on what's involved in doing this.

I'm sure it's been done before, but I can't get any pictures of the net.

Thanks

Old 10-12-2014, 06:24 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
A Jeep cage won't fit. Broncos and Jeeps are completely different sizes and shapes. But you can put a full cage in a Bronco. Here's a pic of mine. The wiper motor at the top of the windshield frame is the problem. The solution is rather than having a hoop go up the A pillar, across the windshield and down the other A pillar, instead you go up the A pillar, then back over the top of the door to the main hoop. Then you put a spreader bar across the top of the windshield.

I had mine custom made as a "family cage" with another hoop at the rear that I could attach rear shoulder harnesses to.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:31 PM
Infinite Monkeys
Cross-Country
That looks good. The Jeep cage is a good start. How did it fit across the back, from side to side.

Thanks

Old 10-12-2014, 09:48 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
What Jeep are you planning to use a cage from? Most of them are a lot narrower than a Bronco.

Again, I had a shop custom make mine. Not a big deal with a tubing bender and a welder. They added the front and rear cages to the stock Bronco roll bar. Below is a group of pics. The one in the lower right shows the right leg of the rear hoop. The pic in the lower left shows the front part of the cage a little too.

By the way, my cage is only mounted to the body. Some say you need to mount a cage to the frame. In a high speed rollover there's no doubt mounting to the frame would be stronger. At some point I might do that upgrade, but I don't feel too bad about it the way it is either.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:33 AM
Infinite Monkeys
Cross-Country
I didn't realize that was a Bronco cage in the center. Thought it was Jeep.

This is the one I'm thinking about, with a lot more cross bracing put in:

Jeep® Tops & Canvas - Rugged Ridge® - OM 13613.06 - Rugged Ridge® Roll Bar Cover in Black Vinyl for 07-up Jeep® Wrangler JK 2-Door and other Jeep Wrangler Parts, Jeep Accessories and Soft Tops by FORTEC

Old 10-13-2014, 11:22 AM
Bud Mud
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
A Jeep cage won't fit. Broncos and Jeeps are completely different sizes and shapes. But you can put a full cage in a Bronco. Here's a pic of mine. The wiper motor at the top of the windshield frame is the problem. The solution is rather than having a hoop go up the A pillar, across the windshield and down the other A pillar, instead you go up the A pillar, then back over the top of the door to the main hoop. Then you put a spreader bar across the top of the windshield.

I had mine custom made as a "family cage" with another hoop at the rear that I could attach rear shoulder harnesses to.

How much did that cost to have done? Ive been into auto body and building cages and complete chassis (drag racing) for over 30yrs. Ive been thinking about building cages for jeeps,bronco's and the F series trucks. Just wondering what shop's are charging to do this,i still have all my tools including my tubing bender.THANKS.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Infinite Monkeys
I didn't realize that was a Bronco cage in the center. Thought it was Jeep.

This is the one I'm thinking about, with a lot more cross bracing put in:

Jeep® Tops & Canvas - Rugged Ridge® - OM 13613.06 - Rugged Ridge® Roll Bar Cover in Black Vinyl for 07-up Jeep® Wrangler JK 2-Door and other Jeep Wrangler Parts, Jeep Accessories and Soft Tops by FORTEC
The only advantage I can see for starting with a Jeep cage is that you can maybe cobble something together that will sort of fit even if you don't have a tubing bender. If you want to go that route you can take a bunch of measurements and try to figure out how it might fit into a Bronco. But my advice is to scrap the idea of starting with a Jeep cage. You'll get a better fit if you find someone with a tubing bender and welder (who knows what they're doing) and have them build it from scratch.

Originally Posted by Bud Mud
How much did that cost to have done? Ive been into auto body and building cages and complete chassis (drag racing) for over 30yrs. Ive been thinking about building cages for jeeps,bronco's and the F series trucks. Just wondering what shop's are charging to do this,i still have all my tools including my tubing bender.THANKS.
It was about 10 years ago now. I really don't remember, but I'm thinking it was north of $500 but less than $1000. Sorry I can't narrow it down any farther (and even that range is really a guess).

Old 10-14-2014, 09:43 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
There are a ton of EB roll cage kits that are weld up and install, a jeep one is WAY different in floor foot mount angles/heights, width and length.

Most kits go for 500 to 1000, the one family cage that is free standing goes for 800.

A roll cage can be a life saving investment, to not try to go cheap in this dept!

Attached Images