2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very nice truck, dents in bed - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Vilonia79
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice truck, dents in bed - Thoughts?

I had $10,000 to spend on a truck. Everything I saw was in the 85,000 to 130,000 mile range, till I came across this really nice '06 F-150 regular cab, 4.6 V8, and got it for $10,000. Only 50,000 miles on it. Interior and exterior are near perfect - really surprising. Downside is, the bed is banged up pretty good on the floor and wheel wells. I know it's a truck, and that's gonna happen, but I am gonna be driving this thing a long time and I'd like the bed to look as good as it can. I don't want to just drop in a bedliner and cover it up, unless that's my only option. Would it be absurdly expensive to have this smoothed out enough for a spray on liner to look good?

Bed dents or not, it was the best truck for the money, by far. I just want the bed to look as good as the rest of it. Thoughts?

The worst spot - right over one of the support braces.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:43 PM
danorules
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You will hardly notice those dents once a liner is sprayed on.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:06 AM
jr105
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Nice looking truck. I agree with danorules. I would spray over the bed as it is and the dents would be a lot less noticeable. As you said, it is a truck.

To fix the dents in the bed it would in have to be removed and worked on or replaced.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:42 AM
60DRB
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
x3. Scuff & prime the bare metal if you want, and the liner will cover the rest. Or you could put a rubber bed mat in it. It is a truck.

Good buy on the truck, too.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:17 AM
Vilonia79
New User
Yep, you're probably all right. I knew the bed dents were the only downside when I bought it, and that I may or may not be able to do much for them. But it was a hell of a good deal compared to anything else, in terms of miles and overall condition. The previous owner must have been an older guy, cause he wrote down every time he changed the oil and the oil type and mileage over seven years in the back of the owner's manual. Even looks like my grandpa's handwriting (he used to do the same thing). The beds on others I looked at in my price range may have had fewer dents, but thy had twice and three times the mileage. All in all, it was an unusually good truck for the money.

I'll talk to some LineX or Rhino people and see what they think it would look like and, if nothing else, paint over the chips and drop a Pendaliner in it. Thanks for the advice guys.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:10 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You know what? At the cost of a professional bed liner job, I think I would drop a bed liner in it because of the damaged bed. I think you are going to have high spots shining through at some point in the future with the coating. Of course, sand and prime where the paint is now broken before doing anything. You may want to pick up a can of touch-up paint to put over the primer if you're going to use a drop-in or do nothing. Drop-ins don't look bad and they have different useful features like the 2X board retainer for keeping smaller items near the tailgate.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:32 PM
60DRB
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Vilonia79
Yep, you're probably all right. I knew the bed dents were the only downside when I bought it, and that I may or may not be able to do much for them. But it was a hell of a good deal compared to anything else, in terms of miles and overall condition. The previous owner must have been an older guy, cause he wrote down every time he changed the oil and the oil type and mileage over seven years in the back of the owner's manual. Even looks like my grandpa's handwriting (he used to do the same thing). The beds on others I looked at in my price range may have had fewer dents, but thy had twice and three times the mileage. All in all, it was an unusually good truck for the money.

I'll talk to some LineX or Rhino people and see what they think it would look like and, if nothing else, paint over the chips and drop a Pendaliner in it. Thanks for the advice guys.
OK, now you're just hurting my feelings! I keep detailed maintenance records for all my vehicles. My first F-150 was 18 when it was destroyed, and my wife's Explorer had 214K on it when we sold it. I had records for everything ever done to them...

I personally prefer the rubber bed mats to a full liner, but that's just me.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:15 PM
Vilonia79
New User
Ha ha. No offense intended! It's just that my generation (I'm 35) doesn't care for things like our grandparents did. We just all expect that we can always get a new one, so who cares? I'm definitely going to do something, and I suppose a drop in would be fine, so long as it doesn't wear off the paint I'm going to put over those spots.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:17 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,362 Likes on 1,708 Posts
The drop in liners I had in the past would wear the paint off. I would have a spray in liner installed. If the dents still bother you after that, I would suggest installing a rubber bed mat. This will keep things from sliding around and will cover the dents.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:17 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
My vote would be a spray in. Yeah, so it has dents. It's on the inside and it is, after all, a truck.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:19 PM
P.Bronner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, I would pull the bed (very easy to do) and tap out the dents to the best of my ability before applying the spray-on. If you go with a drop-in, get the one that goes up under the bed sides so it doesn't chafe the tops of the bed sides. The last time I bought one you could get them either way.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:58 PM
danorules
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FORD COASTIE
The drop in liners I had in the past would wear the paint off. I would have a spray in liner installed. If the dents still bother you after that, I would suggest installing a rubber bed mat. This will keep things from sliding around and will cover the dents.
That works really well, that is what I have in the driveway right now lol

Old 10-13-2014, 07:42 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Actually, I like the idea of the LineX coating with a rubber mat in the bed.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:23 AM
ford-lover
Senior User
My truck is a work truck and due to the nature of my business, it hauls equipment, rocks, stones, dirt, tree trunks, soil, manue all the time. The spray on liner will keep the dirt off and prevent scratches but cant take the heavy impact like throwing big rocks into the bed. I installed a bed liner and placed a 3/4" PT plywood on top. That plywood has been in the bed of my ex-F150 and this F150. It last well over 15 years and we never baby it. The only maintenance is to wash the plywood if it is too dirty.
The plywood also allow shovel to be used in the bed.
This is just my personal experience. Everyone has his own opinion and likes.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:56 AM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Yeah, it all depends on how you use your truck. In my case the main thing I use the bed for is to take cuttings to the landfill 3 or 4 times a year or pick up a load of mulch. The drop-in works great for this purpose. It tends to be 'slick' which makes it easier to pull the cuttings out, and its resistant to pitchforks, rakes or shovels.

Quick Reply: Very nice truck, dents in bed - Thoughts?