1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 Panel Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 02:22 PM
gdub
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really nice job. The people on here are invaluable when it comes to advice and finding the little pieces needed for a project.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:23 PM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
An update--- My hood suffered a good fall awhile back. I purchased the bmw kit from mid-fifties installed, fitted it and had a couple issues. My gaps are all within range, passenger side where hood paralels the fender (repop fenders) the hood reveal is high and gap is wide, front and rear are good. Where hood meets cowl at top is bad due to the fall. Had a buddy over and he is suspose to be a body man, so he heat shrunk some than said he would take it home and use an english wheel on it. Well I don't normally let any one else do work on my panel, but beings I don't have an english wheel I said what the heck. Well it came back not to my satisfaction. I am lo on funds beings the holidays season beginning, I will attempt to fix this myself (should have done that from the beginning). I have two choices if I don't succeed, find another hood, buy a new hood which with this option I have heard of fitment problems and beings I have repop fenders I believe my problem will be doubled.

This shots shows where I have started the shrinking process. You can also visualize the english wheel roll grooves in it. Because the dip is so wide the heat shrinking spot size is about 1/2" and a slow process. I don't have a picture of before I started my bad. But it is a big improvement so I feel like I might get this with a little patience.

This shot shows a pc of angle I am forming up to get the height back up. The original 6" pc was smashed down, so removed and will be replaced with what I make, not sure if I will run it all the way across or just use a pc the size of the original. I am open to hear all your opinions here.

Opposite end view, kind of looks decent from this shot, don't let it fool ya. This hood is in serious need of work IMHO. I feel I have nothin to loose here and everything to gain in knowledge so we will see where I end up. I am thinking about driving up to Vintage Ford and looking at their re-pop hood. Sorry Mid-Fiftie but shipping is a big factor here and the fact that I can see before I decide is big. I had got my repop fenders from a company known by those here (not mid fiftie or vintage) with the description as a perfect fit. My idea of perfect was far different than theirs.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:32 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Hello Gerry, your build is coming along nicely.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:37 PM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas

Got some work done. Decided to find a different hood the one I have in my eyes is just to far gone, so the search is on.
Had a few projects I needed to get done and pay the tax man, so now I have some funds and time to get back to the panel.
Got the gas tank pretty much fabbed up all I have left is the fill tube to weld in and a drain fitting.

Been looking at the gap on the drivers door and finally decided I could not live with the 1/4 gap, after many adjustments I am going to weld on an 1/8 rod around the door in the areas needed, top and front pillar area.

1/8 inch rod tacked in place

More

Present gap. Will finish weld and polish. Than will post finished.
I had the whole panel powder coated so have to remove the powder. Welds don't like that stuff. I am quite impressed how the powder feathers and when I block sanded it, it smothed out real nice. So so far all is good in that area.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:17 PM
idahoal
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice work!.vision and determination Without equal.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:35 PM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas

Got the door done, minus a little filler and prime. Took quite awhile to weld than polish. I got the door gap within reason in comparison to the passenger door. Have posted passenger door pics for comparison.

Passenger gap for comparison

Another of the driver side that was a big problem

Passenger side for comparison. I believe I am within a 16th-32nd.
Never done this before an old time hot rodder told me about this method and I am sure you all have known about it for quite awhile.
These doors were not original to this panel. I had bought a couple parts trucks to get all the final parts. In todays times these parts trucks I bought were keepers, if I only had vision.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:11 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Looking very nice Gerry.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:07 PM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas

In the next few photos they should bring my build up to date. Been working on fitting the running boards to the panel, somethin I have been delaying but I guess it is time to tackle them. Driver side board is in pretty good shape, passenger side not so and some filler will be required. This shot shows the stiffener I added in the back side.

Passenger rear side added a stiffener completely acros. This area was pretty well damaged when I first got theses boards

You see the tear the stiffener should solve this issue

Driver side running board adding a stiffener

The passenger side running board took a major hit. I am slowly bringing it back to a decent shape

The modified lower a arm and stock spindle. Doing it this way leaves you with some odd angles of the upper a arm so I went with fatmans 2" dropped spindles. Much better geometry and do not have to cut anymore of my inner fender panels, that was the goal.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:22 PM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas

Got a new computer so the picture inserting will take some time, I liked the bigger pictures but not sure how to do that.
Thanx to Kevin here on FTE for supplying the last pc of the panel, the rear driver door latch mechanisms and he really had to have a lot of patience with the situation that happened to me, but all is good. Thanx again Kevin.
Got the latch cleaned and installed with a little modification and it works fine so I installed passenger side and minor modifications and the rear doors are ready for body and paint.
Now back to the hood fitment, as said above I have decided to get a repop hood from Vintage Ford because they are in the same state as me and I can drive there and pick up. Called them and they said they had two coming in in a couple days and would call me, I gave them all my billing info and told them I definitely would take one, but still no word. So will call again tomorrow, the lady up front told me they have a guy who has been waiting since January, but the guy at the parts counter made no mention, we'll see.
There is a 55 right down the street so am going to see if he will sell, never know.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:19 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Sometimes sticks get into the spokes! It all worked out in the end. Glad I could help

Old 08-04-2015, 08:15 PM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Just an update om where I am at. Finally got a hood. I tried the fit and had issues. Mainly gaps, got quite a bit taken care of but to get more I had to take the front clip off, so I took care of a few odds and ends while I have it down. The hood is approx. 3/16- to wide so will deal with that and the area where the fender and hood meets up shows a lot of the edge reveals.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:19 PM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Got some more welding done on the firewall and primed. Also I have installed the fatman 2" lowering spindles. I am installing the 1 1/8 sway bar but had to take it in and get it rebent a little.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:22 PM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Earlier I had mentioned my passenger side running board was in need of attention. Well after about 20 hours of massaging I got it to a respectable point. Going to shoot some shiny on it and see.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:23 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Are you sure the hood is too wide Gerry? Might just be the fenders need to move out a bit, I had similar issues and the bolts holding the air deflectors had some adjustments left in them to allow the fenders to spread some.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:27 PM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Here is my idea to get the 3/16 difference on the passenger side handled. I got a very strong 1/8 by tightening, letting loose than again until I could get no more. I will now put the front clip back on and see how the hood goes again. I may have to can this front clip and get originals, I am hoping not. They say patience and you will succeed.
Get the front end fitted than some minor touches on the doors and will start the finish body work.

Quick Reply: 55 Panel Build