Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do i replace door hinge (not just the pins)?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 09:39 PM
danielcoyle
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do i replace door hinge (not just the pins)?!

Hello out there. 97 F250hd with bad driver's side upper door hinge. Gave it a new pin/bushing set and still didn't work. The hinge holes were worn and it couldn't hold the pin tight.
Does anyone know where to get info on how to replace the upper hinge? I took it off the body and now seemingly lost the piece(s?) on the inside of the door frame that the bolts screw into. I think I have to either take the dash out or the front fender.
This is a nightmare at this point!

Old 10-11-2014, 12:44 AM
joey2fords
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the good news is that it's only 1 piece that you are looking for.

you are going to have to fish it up and back into place with a magnet. forget about taking the dash or fender off ... there are no access holes there.

it's a pretty silly design and it's hard to describe but you have to lift it up, position it carefully and then lower it into place . it just sits in place, held by 2 or 3 (or 4?) bent sheet metal "hooks". i went through this a couple of years ago ... while i was taking a phone call my neighbour did the fishing, and he got it done in only a few minutes, but i could EASILY see it taking much longer. good luck.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:21 AM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Yea, its a PITA to retrieve those backing hinge plates! I dropped the lower one when I had the door off the driver's side. I had to remove the parking brake assy to get more room in my 89 F250. I did use a bore scope camera to locate and help grab the plate, but still not fun pulling it up and out.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:47 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Timely post...I have to change my rear hinge.

Would a few magnets placed above and below each hinge keep the backing plate in place?

Old 10-11-2014, 09:03 AM
danielcoyle
5th Wheeling
that's what I was afraid of and sort of what I expected. I suppose it's good news that there's no use in taking out the dashboard or fender. How hard was it to take off the emergency brake assembly?

Old 10-11-2014, 10:37 AM
joey2fords
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by LeoJr
Timely post...I have to change my rear hinge.

Would a few magnets placed above and below each hinge keep the backing plate in place?
i woudnt put a magnet above ... it's upward movement that dislodges it from its cradle. a better way might be to slip a nail or stiff piece of wire in after you remove each fastener.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:07 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Is the door side of the hinge mount captivated?

What is the bolt size?

Get a longer bolt and cut the head off.

Remove one bolt, replace with the unheaded bolt, remove the remaining bolts and slide the hinge off, and the new one back on?

Old 10-11-2014, 02:07 PM
joey2fords
Fleet Mechanic
Is the door side of the hinge mount captivated?

What is the bolt size?

Get a longer bolt and cut the head off.

Remove one bolt, replace with the unheaded bolt, remove the remaining bolts and slide the hinge off, and the new one back on?
yeah ... i like this a lot better than my idea ! although mine will do if you cant find a suitable bolt.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:52 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by joey2fords
yeah ... i like this a lot better than my idea ! although mine will do if you cant find a suitable bolt.
I didn't see your post before I put up mine…yes, your method should work just fine and will likely be how I do it. I usually over think things. Thanks!

Of course a junkyard will the expected answer, but mine needs to be replaced because the door-holder-open-spring-thingy broke and I don't really want a replacement that is worn. Anyone have a source for a reasonably priced new hinge?

Old 10-12-2014, 11:45 AM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Following this as my door-holder-open-spring-thingy (glad to finally learn the technical name for the whatz-it ) is broken on the driver side and hopelessly weak on the passenger side.

I was thinking of the idea of using a threaded bolt with the head cut off. I really like it. If you ground a bit of a taper on the end sticking out you could premount the hinges on door and use the tapered bolt to guide the door into position and hold it there while you got the other fasteners in. Or maybe I've missed something obvious as I've never pulled and reinstalled the doors.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:04 PM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Of course a junkyard will the expected answer, but mine needs to be replaced because the door-holder-open-spring-thingy broke and I don't really want a replacement that is worn. Anyone have a source for a reasonably priced new hinge?
LeoJr, I just found the answer to our problem. RockAuto.com carries a replacement door-holder-open-spring-thingy for $6.01 each. Search for part number 38435. They state that the door does not need to be removed to install it.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:09 PM
jerwiltho
Junior User
Thanks Iland Time. Just read your fix for the door spring, so I just ordered one from rock auto.
Jerry

Old 10-31-2014, 08:17 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish I had seen this sooner, the dorman spring didn't come close to even working on my 89, doesn't ever touch the roller, and its a new roller. The only lasting, functional repair is to go with a later model hinge with the plate and rubber pad.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:27 AM
jerwiltho
Junior User
Since it's already ordered I'll just have to wait and see if I can make it work, but my 93 is probably the same as yours. It won't be the most expensive mistake I've made.
Jerry

Old 11-01-2014, 09:30 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Island Time
LeoJr, I just found the answer to our problem.
Just ordered one and will report my experience with it.

Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: how do i replace door hinge (not just the pins)?!