Sponsored by: Moser

1978-1979 Crew Cab build thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 07:49 AM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
STORAGE OPTION

So as this progression carries forward, one of the things I was concerned with was carrying gear. How much could I carry, and where would I store it.

The idea of the expedition rack was for that exact purpose. More storage over the cab plus room for additional lighting.

As tall as this truck was getting, I didn't want to risk a top heavy vehicle, thus raising my center of gravity, plus minimizing the overhead height for going to camping spots (tree branches are stronger than they look).

Enter the Pelican. Dust proof, weather proof, etc. Great for tools, guns, etc. The measurements are perfect in this case, as it fits in the expedition basket, does not protrude over the basket, and is easily secured.

Now I just need to buy one more of these to go on the other side, and all is well in the world...for now.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:53 AM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
this weekend...

should be fun.

Hoping to mock up the mounting frame for the King Ranch buckets. Pictures to come. Do not mock my welding skills, I am aware they are minimal at best.

Once we got the seating situated, I will then be pulling the stock steering column still in the truck to mount the 1996 steering column so we can measure the length needed for the fab job to extend the steering shaft.

Found a guy locally who has a 1996 diesel dash, and its corresponding wiring, and other various diesel parts that I may or may not need. This dash, my hope anyway, will expedite the process of understanding all what plugs go to what

Been saving my pennies. Just sold the spare sterhling axle I had last night, time to go order my 1 ton, 4 inch lift springs.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:32 AM
scott79
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Have you decided which 4" lift you are going with? I'm thinking of a 4" for my F350 but can't decide which one to go with!!

Old 12-18-2015, 11:54 AM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Eleanor already has a 4" inch lift. So all I am doing is replacing the front springs and bushings. The F250 springs in there now are tired and stressed from the additional girth on the front. Switching to a 1 ton (f350) 4 inch lift spring.
I could only find three options:
1. skyjacker
2. atlas
3. Superlift

I have used both #1 and #3 historically, and never had an issue with either company's product. Having said that, I am more than likely going to go with Superlift due to the $ savings, seeing as neither company has let me down before.

Does anyone else have an opinion on these brands, or are there other brands I am missing?

Old 12-18-2015, 01:48 PM
scott79
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Got it...Have you consider using the springs off the 92-97 F350's? Then just adding (2) leaf's to each side. It's a cheap way to go but would support the weight of the big ol diesel motor. Probably ride fairly stiff I'm guessing!!
Another to check out is rough country.

Originally Posted by 1KILLERZ
Eleanor already has a 4" inch lift. So all I am doing is replacing the front springs and bushings. The F250 springs in there now are tired and stressed from the additional girth on the front. Switching to a 1 ton (f350) 4 inch lift spring.
I could only find three options:
1. skyjacker
2. atlas
3. Superlift

I have used both #1 and #3 historically, and never had an issue with either company's product. Having said that, I am more than likely going to go with Superlift due to the $ savings, seeing as neither company has let me down before.

Does anyone else have an opinion on these brands, or are there other brands I am missing?

Old 12-18-2015, 02:22 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
Dude rock that rack! Hope you got a hook up on those Pelican cases, them things are $$. Great idea, I would make a VERY secure very lockable hinged double strap for them things.

Rack/spare tire mount/mod ideas maybe you can trim some of the rear support to get a little more bed space if needed.

Attached Images    
Old 12-18-2015, 02:47 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Originally Posted by scott79
Got it...Have you consider using the springs off the 92-97 F350's? Then just adding (2) leaf's to each side. It's a cheap way to go but would support the weight of the big ol diesel motor. Probably ride fairly stiff I'm guessing!!
Another to check out is rough country.
I didn't see rough country having f350 (1 tons) springs, only f250. I will look into that for sure.

I did think about the add a leaf type set up, but since Eleanor is going to be used as a daily driver- ish, definitely trying to stay away from the set up like that, as it does add considerable amount of noticeable stiffness.
Most of the lift spring kits are advertised as "smooth" or "soft ride", I can't expect too much out of this set up, but as long as my fillings will stay in place, life will be good.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:01 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Dude rock that rack! Hope you got a hook up on those Pelican cases, them things are $$. Great idea, I would make a VERY secure very lockable hinged double strap for them things.

Rack/spare tire mount/mod ideas maybe you can trim some of the rear support to get a little more bed space if needed.
I got a helluva good deal through a contractor. Deciding if I should keep the two flush mount style, or buy a camera gear style one to carry Air Compressor tools. Not sure yet.

Love that rack! Is that yours?

I like those ideas on the spare tire mounts... I will add that to my list of possible designs.

Truth be know, I wanted a rack like that with the spare tire mounted in the bed (a la Baja Style), but then I would have no room for my intended slide out "tool" storage box.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:03 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
spare tire ideas

38.5 and a half inch tire on a 78-79 bronco.

would still have access to my bed with the bronco inspired design...

Old 12-18-2015, 03:06 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
improved

But since I am running 37's, and I know the possibility of finding a replacement tire in BFE would be a small challenge, I wanted to at least be able to run the capability of carrying two spares...

left side is for Jerry Can style carrying...but replace and modify for another spare tire holder...

And Still have access to my bed...

Old 12-18-2015, 03:10 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
in bed storage

Having my two spares on the out side of the bed will allow me to make/buy a slide out storage kit in my bed for my..uh..tools...

Old 12-18-2015, 03:23 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
No not mine, but I am digging the look of it and your set up. I figure the spare tire/tailgate all in one is a good one and that way the 37" 80 lb monster is maybe a little closer to the ground?

But that swing out set up off the bumper is a good one too. You could make is a swing out and then hinge down tire to the ground with a pull of another pin and a "timber" call.

And a swing out gas can X2 cool, if you can't pack it in in the bed, hang it off the sides.

Are you running a converted a/c compressor for air, or getting 12V HD underhood set up?

Tools are like bullets, you really can't have enough when you are in a jam.

IMO Rough Country is a waste of time and $. I am pulling the RC set off the front of blue truck and scrapping them.

Another idea for you.

Attached Images    
Old 12-18-2015, 03:30 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Yes it a Dodge idea, but I like the concept alot. Using the wasted space in a good way.

Attached Images    
Old 12-19-2015, 04:41 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
No not mine, but I am digging the look of it and your set up. I figure the spare tire/tailgate all in one is a good one and that way the 37" 80 lb monster is maybe a little closer to the ground?

But that swing out set up off the bumper is a good one too. You could make is a swing out and then hinge down tire to the ground with a pull of another pin and a "timber" call.

And a swing out gas can X2 cool, if you can't pack it in in the bed, hang it off the sides.

Are you running a converted a/c compressor for air, or getting 12V HD underhood set up?

Tools are like bullets, you really can't have enough when you are in a jam.

IMO Rough Country is a waste of time and $. I am pulling the RC set off the front of blue truck and scrapping them.

Another idea for you.

Yea, we thought about doing another drop on the swing out to lower the tire, as they are not light. We also looked at collapsible crane style mount in the bed. Not sure yet, seen them on service trucks, would be handy. but we shall see. although yelling "timber" sounds more appealing to me.

looking at the 12V HD underhood set up, just will be dependent on the room I have left after I modify the air cleaner box.

I appreciate the feedback on the rough country stuff. I will be sure to keep that in mind before I pull the trigger on my springs.

I love those built in boxes. Dodge or not, cool stuff right there.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:05 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
That yellow/grey '79 with the rack is a guy I know. I originally put the pic up here a couple years back. It is a cool setup but does take more bed space than it should I think.

For my truck I was hoping to stand the tire vertically against the inside of the bed on the driver side, in front of the wheel well. Having a short bed and 35's the tire won't fit well here, so I'm looking at putting it behind the wheel well. I've thought about a mount that swings up & down so as to lay the tire flat in the bed when the bed is empty, but then swings up vertically & latches when the bed is being used. Not sure if I'll take the time to make this or not, but I like the idea.

I also really dig the idea of those in bed tool boxes on the dodges. That would be a LOT of work to make something like that.
On the same lines I have a pic somewhere of a utility bed that looks almost like a normal bed on a superdoodie. There are cabinets & panels, etc. in the bedside like a normal utility bed, but the bed itself isn't a big box like most utility beds. Kind of cool.

If you will stick with the vertical mount that swings off the bumper & holds the tire behind the tail gate be careful, depending on what you will do with the truck. I know a bunch of guys with broncos & even with 35's those racks tear themself off of the truck in the desert. 37's or 39's compound the problem. Most guys who run that type of rack on a desert rig have the cage running all the way to the back of the bronco & tie in an upper part of the mount through the body to the cage to keep the thing from shaking itself to death & cracking. If you won't be going fast much then the tire may not shake itself to death like we see in the desert.

Quick Reply: 1978-1979 Crew Cab build thread