Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

1978-1979 Crew Cab build thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 11:39 PM
Jrgunn5150
Laughing Gas
Received 246 Likes on 164 Posts
Love the truck! I live in Ionia, work in GR, glad I'm not alone lol.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:49 AM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jdeshler
Excellent work!

I call myself an active member here but am ashamed for missing your build!

That is going to be an astonishing power stroke and a beautiful interior..
Thanks. I am hoping and trying to make this work as I see it. Always loved these, but wanted the creature comforts of modern trucks without sacrificing too much of the classic charm.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:53 AM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Jrgunn5150
Love the truck! I live in Ionia, work in GR, glad I'm not alone lol.
Thanks. Yea, I live in Zeeland, and work GR as well. Sometimes it feels like we are alone in these endeavors, but then blogs and neighbors happen and it is fun and people learn, especially from my mistakes. lol.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:57 AM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
axle time..

So my little guy has Vacation Bible School this week, so I figured I might as well as start on the axles now as opposed to waiting for this weekend...

so the fun begins. Forgot what powdered rust tastes like...yummy...

And then, in my haste, I forgot one element...will the bedliner material adhere to raw/cast/uncoated metal, or do I need to get a primer/etching?
Anybody here know that answer?

Knocked all the junk off, probably shaved a year off my lung capacity, but its getting done...

Even found the factory numbers...

Well, back at it tonight...

Old 06-24-2015, 11:47 AM
Jrgunn5150
Laughing Gas
Received 246 Likes on 164 Posts
I always prime before I use bedliner, but that just seems like the right thing to do to me. I don't know if it will go on bare steel

Old 06-24-2015, 12:26 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always prime before I use bedliner, but that just seems like the right thing to do to me. I don't know if it will go on bare steel

I know every line-x and rhino guy I have talked to says they prefer bare metal for the best adhesion...

Old 06-24-2015, 01:58 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Thanks for the input on this. I thought the same thing in regards to priming. Just want to be sure.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:00 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Originally Posted by lee00
I know every line-x and rhino guy I have talked to says they prefer bare metal for the best adhesion...
Thanks for that. I will call the customer service number and see what their tech recommends, as this is the stuff in a can, maybe that would make a difference.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:54 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1KILLERZ
Thanks for that. I will call the customer service number and see what their tech recommends, as this is the stuff in a can, maybe that would make a difference.

No problem. Again it is just what I have heard from the guys behind the counter at the shops that do it...

Granted I have never seen the professionally done stuff peel... roll on thats another story.....

Old 06-24-2015, 10:06 PM
scott79
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey Killerz, nice work man! Really like everything you're doing. As for bedliner, I recently restored a 79 F350 4x4 SC and had it rhino-lined and they said DON'T paint or prime it, leave it bare!! AND for added protection, I brushed on 2 coats of polyurethane after the Rhino-lining was finished!! I waited about 2wks to let the lining cure.

I love shooting my Kel-Tec Ksg 12g tactical, fun little lead slinger!!

Old 06-25-2015, 10:24 AM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Originally Posted by scott79
Hey Killerz, nice work man! Really like everything you're doing. As for bedliner, I recently restored a 79 F350 4x4 SC and had it rhino-lined and they said DON'T paint or prime it, leave it bare!! AND for added protection, I brushed on 2 coats of polyurethane after the Rhino-lining was finished!! I waited about 2wks to let the lining cure.

I love shooting my Kel-Tec Ksg 12g tactical, fun little lead slinger!!
Thanks. I appreciate it. My girlfriend has bought in to my insanity and helps me. She even calls it sexy.
As for the polyurethane, do i put that on the spray bed liner stuff after I paint it or before I paint?
current thought process...
1. strip it down (working on)
2. spray the bed liner paint (the bed liner is paintable)
3. wait two weeks to cure properly
4. Spray the high gloss chassis black over the bed liner painted axle
5. Spray over with polyurethane

As for the KSG, I have waited for that sucker for quite some time. At the time, in Michigan we had to have a pistol permit to purchase, I really didn't want to go through the hassle for a shotgun.
I modded my Saiga's so much they were no longer home protection worthy, more like freak show worthy (50 round/20 round drums full of 12 GA ammo are not light).
They (the state) changed the requirements, and I jumped on the first one I could find in black.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:30 AM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
day two on the D60

Keep on keeping on...

I am not planning on keeping the diff cover. Looking to upgrade/customize that part of it. But other than that, hope to have completely stripped down tonight. No painting, as humidity will be too high due to the upcoming storm. Maybe tomorrow night I paint, whilst I am enjoying libations...as most of my best paint work happens when I can't remember shiite from consuming too much fermented grains...

Old 06-25-2015, 11:15 AM
scott79
Fleet Mechanic
Maybe I missed it somewhere along the way BUT what's your goal for the truck? Daily driver, weekend warrior, wax wagon, or show? The reason I'm asking, since we both live in the rust belt of the midwest, your intent will influence the process methods. For my 350, I had a buddy mix-up some "special" epoxy chassis paint (black) for the frame/axles/drive-lines etc. This stuff is hard as a rock (almost like ceramic or powder-coating), yet smooth as silk. I didn't use any undercoat/bedliner on any of those components because my truck will never see the salt, it's basically a wax wagon! But depending on your use for your truck, you might consider additional protection but I would think "if" epoxy chassis paint won't protect it nothing will....??

I was referring to rhino-lining my bed (not axles) and then applying poly in the earlier post. I did this to another one of my trucks that I restored 22yrs ago and it still looks perfect today!!

Thanks. I appreciate it. My girlfriend has bought in to my insanity and helps me. She even calls it sexy.
As for the polyurethane, do i put that on the spray bed liner stuff after I paint it or before I paint?
current thought process...
1. strip it down (working on)
2. spray the bed liner paint (the bed liner is paintable)
3. wait two weeks to cure properly
4. Spray the high gloss chassis black over the bed liner painted axle
5. Spray over with polyurethane

As for the KSG, I have waited for that sucker for quite some time. At the time, in Michigan we had to have a pistol permit to purchase, I really didn't want to go through the hassle for a shotgun.
I modded my Saiga's so much they were no longer home protection worthy, more like freak show worthy (50 round/20 round drums full of 12 GA ammo are not light).
They (the state) changed the requirements, and I jumped on the first one I could find in black.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:39 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Originally Posted by scott79
Maybe I missed it somewhere along the way BUT what's your goal for the truck? Daily driver, weekend warrior, wax wagon, or show? The reason I'm asking, since we both live in the rust belt of the midwest, your intent will influence the process methods. For my 350, I had a buddy mix-up some "special" epoxy chassis paint (black) for the frame/axles/drive-lines etc. This stuff is hard as a rock (almost like ceramic or powder-coating), yet smooth as silk. I didn't use any undercoat/bedliner on any of those components because my truck will never see the salt, it's basically a wax wagon! But depending on your use for your truck, you might consider additional protection but I would think "if" epoxy chassis paint won't protect it nothing will....??

I was referring to rhino-lining my bed (not axles) and then applying poly in the earlier post. I did this to another one of my trucks that I restored 22yrs ago and it still looks perfect today!!

The goal is simple with this truck...simply complicated...
1. Daily driver, even through the winter (salty) months
2. Tow rig- I sold my crew cab car hauler, with the intent/plan on using my 20 foot enclosed trailer hitched to Eleanor to continue my journeys south for classic cars to flip up north
3. Weekend get away- kayaking, mountain biking, camping off the beaten path
4. Prepping-if SHTF, want something capable of going off road in areas remote enough that will make for difficult terrain for others (hence the air lockers down the road, intention of large fuel capacity, and the winch)
5. Although I want it to be nice (wax and buff, repeat) no intention of hitting car shows with it. Got a 72 chevelle for that.
6. Heirloom for my youngest, something to remember daddy by down the road when the time comes. He's got as much time as my girlfriend in assisting on this truck, with the intent of creating even more memories.

Again, simply complicated.

If the township zoning (parking) allowed it, I would be driving a deuce and a half everyday too. But I am weird like that.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:26 PM
scott79
Fleet Mechanic
Gotchca!! Well, for a DD in Michigan, the winter months can be harsh. But it looks like this process "should" give you just about maximum protection. The Poly will add some life to this process for sure BUT you might check around to see if there are other products that would give you more??

The goal is simple with this truck...simply complicated...
1. Daily driver, even through the winter (salty) months
2. Tow rig- I sold my crew cab car hauler, with the intent/plan on using my 20 foot enclosed trailer hitched to Eleanor to continue my journeys south for classic cars to flip up north
3. Weekend get away- kayaking, mountain biking, camping off the beaten path
4. Prepping-if SHTF, want something capable of going off road in areas remote enough that will make for difficult terrain for others (hence the air lockers down the road, intention of large fuel capacity, and the winch)
5. Although I want it to be nice (wax and buff, repeat) no intention of hitting car shows with it. Got a 72 chevelle for that.
6. Heirloom for my youngest, something to remember daddy by down the road when the time comes. He's got as much time as my girlfriend in assisting on this truck, with the intent of creating even more memories.

Again, simply complicated.

If the township zoning (parking) allowed it, I would be driving a deuce and a half everyday too. But I am weird like that.

Quick Reply: 1978-1979 Crew Cab build thread