1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Consider this the next time you order from LMC.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 05:41 PM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Consider this the next time you order from LMC.

Name:  6fLKSyKl.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  62.7 KB

Old 10-08-2014, 05:54 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
That's a really nice C10. 'Must have required a BUTTLOAD of custom bodywork.

LMC = Lost, Missing, Confused

Old 10-08-2014, 05:55 PM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
LMC = Lost, Missing, Confused
Love it!

Old 10-08-2014, 08:20 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
damn, and i just ordered a headlight harness for my ford. now im probably gonna get the chebby model....

Old 10-08-2014, 08:23 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
JUNK PARTS

Old 10-08-2014, 08:25 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
yeah LMC sure aint the best when it comes to parts. i prefer NPD or CAP.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:31 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Those cheap cab mounts need folded over the guys head who thought they were "good enough" to sell to the classic enthusiasts. Who's next in line to do so after me?

Old 10-08-2014, 09:32 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm not defending any vendors nor sellers of parts. With that being said, based on what I have seen, read and witnessed personally, you buyers are to blame. It's MONEY!! Lack of or principle, followed by know how.
Now I'll explain, most of you bought these old trucks for $500.00-$2500.00 you'll put the cheapest parts in them to make it work because (PRINCIPLE) "Why should you spend $500.00 on those part's when you bought the truck for $500.00?"
Good parts cost money!
Most of you just want to get it running and on the road for cheap. Once that part goes bad, you blame the vendor/seller. Good parts cost money!
Also the P.O. didn't do all the bad, but it's easier to blame someone else.
I've had 3 bumps in three years, (trying to buy my fourth right now) I buy them from people who knew nothing about old trucks, so when it came time to buy parts for it, they put cheap parts on it. After all, good parts cost MONEY!! When they realize the truck is going to cost more than they anticipate, they let them sit in the driveway to rot or until I come along. I buy them put quality parts on them then double or triple my money.
I have a 64 f100 that's my baby, I've been working on it for 10 years. If it needs something and I can't afford to buy the best part, I wait until I can. I know not everyone can do that. To most people, this may be their daily driver, which brings us back to the top of this post, MONEY!! Lack of or principle, followed by know how.
I sold parts, quality parts, original parts. (still do except I'm slowing down now) I will get a part, clean it, refurbish it make sure it's as good or better than new, then put a reasonable price on it. Now I know the price is comparable, but the buyer does not want to buy because it's to much money. So the buyer buys from the other seller because his is half the cost. That part brakes or gives out in a short period, now the buyer needs to buy the part again.
You guy's understand what I'm saying?
For those of you getting answers to your questions on these forums, notice your getting them from a few people who know these old trucks, sell parts for these old trucks, and have owned these old trucks, I'm also willing to bet these same people do not rush a build or put cheap parts on them, they do it right or wait until they can.
I know But I do feel better.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:01 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
I've ordered from LMC but am very aware of what I am ordering and whether it is a "critical" part. It all depends on what ya buy.. some stuff can be had from the salvage yard (like an oil fill cap, carb spacer, or grill insert). However that requires patience for a donor to show up. Critical body parts like windshield and window seals and felts are better from to Dennis Carpenter, mechanical parts from NAPA, Autozone, or NPD. Second, LMC carries some parts that the others do not. I am satisfied with LMC's headlight relay harness, white (instead of amber) turn signal lenses, and lenses in general.

However some of LMC's prices are waaaaay outta whack like an Edelbrock 1406 carb at $550 whereas Summit sells if for a little over $300. Yes, some are from China but it's not all bad.. I used a wheel arch repair panel and while the stamping wasn't as crisp as OEM, it was acceptable since you can't see both bedsides at the same time. Now if I was ultra-picky, then yes and OEM donor would be the way to go. These rigs aren't "collectible" yet and my 4x4 just needs to look solid so repro stuff is OK for certain things like lenses, bezels, and such. Otherwise I'll head to Pick N Pull to see what is available.

In the end, it is YOUR responsibility to know what you are buying. Buyer beware and caveat emptor.

Now, one trouble I have with LMC are crummy materials as I state above. I ordered some fender to cab seals and their rubber literally crumbled and tore in two years... prolly due to heat and UV exposure. Lesson learned! That led me to my conclusion to be wary about their rubber and foam products. I used the seals as patterns to make my own. The second issue I have experienced is with an order itself... it contained everything I ordered ....and them some extras and parts I didn't even order. Go figure.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:03 AM
Rasputin53
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll add to this discussion some oft missed points. I agree that money is the driving factor, but there is another point as to the quality of a part and that's attention to detail. We here are enthusiasts. We like the part to be right, fit perfectly and perform as original. Tooling for a part costs money. And you do not get the tool right the first time out. Each churn costs more money. Then you only get so many parts before the tool needs maintenance which costs more money. The more complex a tooling fixture, the more money it costs to maintain. This has to be amortized across the number of parts made as well as make a profit and is the major contributor to overall price. As stated above, a lot of people will opt for the cheapest part so in a single market the lion's share of sales is not going the way of a Concours quality component. Not a lot of incentive to make the best part, IMHO. My other old rides are 67 Mustangs. I've seen parts go repro and go obsolete from that and then go repro again. That's a BIG market. There's tons of Mustangs out there. There's tons of F Series out there too but not nearly as many being 'restored' than the Marque that shares so many components. There's plenty of crappy fitting repro parts for Mustangs (tail light bezels probably top the list) and that market is massive. So if in a massive market there is no incentive to produce a high quality part then there is little hope in a lesser market. That does not mean it does not happen. There are enthusiasts within the market that strive to make better parts which calls to their integrity, markets them better and raises their standing among those that have been in the space for long enough to tell the difference. For these people, love for the breed is also a driving factor. There will always be more of the lower quality components than the higher. Sometimes the maker does not even know their part does not work right. Give feedback. Return parts that are crap. We have a responsibility here as well. And there should be a sticky as to component's quality. Both sides; what fits, what does not and why. Then the makers can be made aware of what people are really saying.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:19 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
You guys are right on the money. Since I've been selling Genuine Ford parts at various Ford,Lincln,and Mercury Dealers since 1977....Welcome To My World. There are a multitude of reasons a Genuine Ford REAL part costs more. Other than profit for the stockholders. As stated above it takes money to put out a QUALITY product that Ford is willing to warranty. Not just pray you sell the vehicle before the part breaks or wears out prematurally. You know how there's a million different aluminums? There's also a million different plastics,nylons,steels,blends of metal,etc. Ford uses QUALITY materials to the exact specs. Read...EXACT specs. A u-joint is not any ol' u-joint. A bearing is not any ol' bearing. A switch is not any ol' switch. ETC. ETC. I've spent a professional lifetime selling and "Selling" parts more expensive,but way better, than the NAPA's Carquests,Taiwan sheetmetal,etc.
And Robert,you described me. My Bump is not on the road because of lack of money. I won't hack it. Jeff-i-fy yes,hack no. Personalize it yes, throw it together no.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:24 PM
doug51f1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've bought glass, floor mats and some rubber from LMC, for my 51-F1, only because it was a daily driver and had a need and fat fender parts are really hard to find at the scrap yards. They repop as much as possible, and I know it. That being said, I try to put authentic FOMOCO parts in, wherever possible.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:51 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I think we all learn a lesson with the first classic vehicle of what it really take to being it back to the road worthiness. And when we have to order online parts for the first time from a vendor we have never had to deal with. We assume the parts will fit good as oem ones since that's all we know and think were getting.

When you look under your vehicle at a cab mount with dirt road tar and so on. Then you look in the online catalog at the parts you have never viewed the single unit that's not in it's attached place printed in a book not welded into the cab, you think well they made it for my vehicle so guess it's good enough. "Surprise surprise" when your newly ordered part comes to your door. You think hell it must be okay but then you find out as you attempt to install your not so oem parts. So now you bend and had to cut or trim your not so oem parts to the point you can not return it.
So you finish installing the crappy parts that fails later.

The next time you need other parts who do you now trust when ford has stop make the parts. Then you happen to stumble across by chance Dennis Carpenter web site.

Or better yet FTE were you'll learn a lot of info and where to buy better parts. So it takes a while to get all the info under your cap and where to spend your hard earn cash at.. The best bang for your bucks if we could put are hands on the parts and look them over we would all be a head of the game of getting screwed out of our cash.
orich

Old 10-11-2014, 07:54 AM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
While all this information is true, research is still the key.
Many people who come to these forums, come here after they buy the truck, and have put some money into it.
Few people come here before they buy, and I applaud those that do.
Even with the knowledge provided by the few on these forums, people still opt for the cheap.
Now go back and read numerous threads regarding builds, there are those that will argue with the ones giving good advise, with the words "What if."
Research is free!!
There are those who choose to come on this forum to show off their work, never taking advise because "They know how already" Than they ask how to fix what the P.O. had done. (the P.O. didn't do it)
We've all bought parts before researching or before finding these forums costing us money, we take it as, "Part of the learning process." Myself included.
We know there are members here who have done just about everything possible to these trucks and have learned tricks and shortcuts, who to buy from and who not to buy from, but we don't listen. "Ego"
Now I for one, am a "Junkyard Junkie" I see these poor trucks in all kinds of shape. I've seen household electrical items used. I've seen more bailing wire and home made crutches used to hold pieces together. I've seen frames cut straight and butt welded together with NO re-reinforcements what-so-ever.
I've seen more BONDO then I thought humanly possible applied to these trucks. I've seen floor patches done with drywall screws.
Temporary fixes become permanent fixes.
I've heard phrases like "Jerry Rigged" or "Redneck ingenuity" used to make something work. When used as a temporary fix, great you made it home. However it never gets fixed right.
Even a low quality part done right is better than a bad patch made with a street sign.
Bottom line, do your research, don't be afraid to ask. If you do ask, try the fix that is recommended, or continue to research. Research is FREE!!

Old 10-11-2014, 10:10 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
All good points Gangstakr
Temporary fixes become permanent fixes.
I've heard phrases like "Jerry Rigged" or "Redneck ingenuity" used to make something work. When used as a temporary fix, great you made it home. However it never gets fixed right.
--------------------------------------------
I think most of the old fixes you have listed above mainly come from the older guys that don't have or slow to get a computer. An did not know or hear about all the repo vendors that our online to this day.

I've been going to junk yards ever since, I was a kid with my dad or older brother growing up. So yea it's been my main source for older vehicle replacement parts and that's all I have known.

With that being said leads me to say for the older guys made a fix with what they had laying around in the barn or garage the was bailing wire hanging on a nail. Or in the junk box under the work bench.

Like last week I went to help out my x mother inlaw with battery troubles.
Her husband has passed about 10 yrs ago and I'm still helping her out the her old classic vehicles 70 pickup a 62 Merc. & a 71 Torino.

Well the Torino's battery hold down bracket had been cracked in 1/2 looks to be yrs. But it had a piece of coat hanger bridged across the top too the hold down rods.

Not a aftermarket fix, but the old fix it to get by was my ex father in law.
And yes was a farm boy from TX. that could fix any kitchen dripping drain with black tape that was good but just don't run hot water through it very long or it will leak again.

I also remember my dad wrapping the sink drains when, I was a kid.
That was the common fit for many things along with bailing wire.
And like mending a drive belt with wire to get ya home.

Yes, I came from a fix it yourself time slot like many other guys on here.
And some can't break out of that mold..

I got on the net in 1999 and was amazed at what could be found online.
Plus it was like stuck being stuck in the 60's of doing things then a whole new world open up to sources of info and buying goodies for the oldies..
My 1cents is what's left.
Orich

Quick Reply: Consider this the next time you order from LMC.