Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifting my front end 95 f350

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 08:10 PM
Dutter 2
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifting my front end 95 f350

So i posted a wile back about my shackles being maxed out and i was lookn at them and talked to my auto instructor and yeah they gota go. Only thing is i dont know what set up to go with. I just want the damn thing to ride softer. And i dont know the exact lift thats on it. So i was thinking of buying 4 inch lift springs and if its not enough i can buy a leveling kit to add 2 more inches. Or just buy 6 inch springs and id like the front end to be 1 inch lower cus it rides level now and i want my bed higher cus i do haul with it. What do u guys think ? heres my truck on 37s and heres a link of my truck with 4 inch lift on 37s

1995 Ford F-350 7.3L Power Stroke - Diesel Power Challenge 2014 Competitor

Old 10-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Dutter 2
Elder User
no ideas ??

Old 10-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
I don't have any experience with them, but a few people on here swear by reverse shackel kits (RSKs). I think they give about 3" - 4" of lift with stock springs. They supposedly give a better ride, and supposedly much better if you use Super Duty springs rather than '90 vintage springs. Do a little searching for RSK on here. You'll probably find a bunch.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Dutter 2
Elder User
yeah iv tried doing some research and couldnt find anything for my problem, becasue i think i have super duty springs right now cus other people said they are the reason my shackles are maxxed out cus there too long. And can u see what set up the guy on the link has ?

Old 10-08-2014, 04:20 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
All it says on the link is "custom 4" suspension," but in one of the small pics you can see the shackels at the front end of the front springs. A reverse shackel kit reverses that (go figure!) and puts the shackels at the rear of the front springs. There are some advantages to that as it lets the axle move back as it's pushed up, rather than being forced forward as it goes up. That can supposedly give a much better ride. Again, search on here for RSK. You'll find a bunch of info on them.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:58 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
He was told the same thing in his original thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...f350-95-a.html

Old 10-08-2014, 05:04 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Old 10-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Dutter 2
Elder User
ok the biggest thing that was getn me mixed up is it sounded like that RSK thing gives u more lift, but when i read up on it from rough country they say itll work for stock and lifted springs and only gives u .5 inches of lift and i can deal with that if it really helps it ride smoother. cus yes in my old post you can see the problem i was having and it sounds like this kit will fit that.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:41 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Dutter 2
ok the biggest thing that was getn me mixed up is it sounded like that RSK thing gives u more lift, but when i read up on it from rough country they say itll work for stock and lifted springs and only gives u .5 inches of lift and i can deal with that if it really helps it ride smoother. cus yes in my old post you can see the problem i was having and it sounds like this kit will fit that.

Did you even read the link I posted?

ROUGH country doesnt know what they are talking about. A MINIMUM of 2.25" of lift is what the RSK lifts the truck. Then you can also get up to 5" of lift.

Depending on what springs you go with, you can add even more lift depending on your needs

Old 10-10-2014, 07:49 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If you think about how a positively curved spring (like a smiley face) compresses, it has to get longer to do so. With the front leaf spring anchored solidly at the rear the spring has to get longer in the forward direction which is what the front shackle allows it to do.

But this also means that the axle has to move forward too. Which means, with a positively arched spring the wheel has to travel forward as it moves upward as it rolls over a bump.

The RSK in itself helps reduce the initial felt shock as a tire hits a bump by letting the tire move rearward as it moves upwards. There is typically some lift from these, but it is for additional height and/or to provide clearance for the stock bumper.

The RSK does not change the spring rates, which is what you need to do to substantially change the ride of the truck.

Lift can be had by changing the mounting points on the truck, like taller RSK kits and/or taller shackles.

Lift primarily comes from the amount of arch put into the springs. The amount of arch is NOT the same as the load rating. But many people assume so and put big arched springs that are load rated way too high. So the truck sits high, but rides like a dump truck.

A benefit of a properly designed RSK kit for our OBS trucks is that it allows the use of Superduty springs that have softer spring rates at ride height and the rates increase quickly as the spring is compressed thereby not reducing our overall load caryying ability. The RSK minimizes the initial felt shock of a bump, but the springs that the RSK allows makes for the smooth ride.

Just about everything else you may want to know is in the thread Brad linked for you.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:15 AM
Dutter 2
Elder User
I read over again that link you posted, and i noticed that i dont have those X code springs like i thought, mine look way different. So i have no idea what springs i got now. So i may have to just get new leafs and or the rsk. But what do u guys think about me cutting out where that shackle is hitting ??

heres a pic with the red cut line id do

Old 10-10-2014, 12:55 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Don't cut anything. Get the right parts.

This pic shows where the end of the stock springs are in relation to the RSK bracket and its spring hole meant for a SD length spring.

The hole just rearward of the bracket, that looks like a bolt was just removed from, is where the stock front shackle attached too.

I suspect you have SD length springs, but definitely not OBS length springs, on your truck.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
I read over again that link you posted, and i noticed that i dont have those X code springs like i thought, mine look way different. So i have no idea what springs i got now. So i may have to just get new leafs and or the rsk. But what do u guys think about me cutting out where that shackle is hitting ??

heres a pic with the red cut line id do
No, you do NOT have X code springs(they are STOCK snow plow prep springs on a SuperDuty) YOU have some sort of LIFT spring from a SD on your truck.

If you want any sort of ride, I recommend going with a RSK for SD springs(like the link I posted to) . What that does is move the front spring hanger FORWARD to accommodate the LONGER SuperDuty springs. It also moves the shackle to the back of the spring to allow proper suspension moment for a MUCH better ride.

As for CUTTING THE FRAME, just think about that statement a minute

Old 10-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Dutter 2
Elder User
yeah the RSK sounds great im willing to buy it, but i dont want any extra lift. Unless maybe once i put it in i take out a few leafs on the front, and who makes that kit ? iv tried looking it up.. And as far as cutting the frame im only cutting it where there is no load being applied to it, its just the part that holds up the bumper, but i looked into today some more and yeah it wont do my much good.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:40 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
yeah the RSK sounds great im willing to buy it, but i dont want any extra lift. Unless maybe once i put it in i take out a few leafs on the front, and who makes that kit ? iv tried looking it up.. And as far as cutting the frame im only cutting it where there is no load being applied to it, its just the part that holds up the bumper, but i looked into today some more and yeah it wont do my much good.
.......I like how the truck sits for the most part id just like to see the front be one inch lower. Because right now it rides level with 37s but i actually tow with this truck so i want the rear a little higher,.......

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Like others side. WRONG SPRINGS

A RSK will give more lift. But by the looks of it you have Superduty lift springs which are 3-3/8 longer than OBS springs. in order for the SD springs to work correctly, you need a RSK for SD springs. PRECISION METAL FAB makes such a kit and it will only give your 2.25" over what you have now. OR if you went with STOCK SuperDuty springs and the RSK you would have 2.25 over a Stock OBS F350
You REALLY need to learn how to read and LISTEN

Quick Reply: Lifting my front end 95 f350