Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Excursion Overhead Console computer - cross ref?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Paul Titus
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 03 Excursion Overhead Console computer - cross ref?

The overhead trip/dir/mpg console computer went out some time back on my Excursion. I looked around here and found the thread about loose chips but found my unit didn't have any loose. It looks like maybe my LED screen went out as there is a big burn mark inside the glass on the left side of the screen.

Anyway, I got to looking around and of course I don't want to spend $300 for an OEM new replacement for a non-critical part. I may send mine away to one of the services that are shown to see if they can fix it (crossing fingers).

But I got to looking up the Ford part number 3c7t-10d898-ab and found the 10d898 portion is apparently in several different vehicle applications. I tried to use a part cross reference but of course none show one. But when I look at cheaper consoles for the smaller overhead units the box the part resides in looks essentially the same.

So, I'm wondering if maybe anyone has tried a console computer from one of these other vehicles?

Old 10-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Tried a Junk yard?

Old 10-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
This guy is great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250626050798?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Old 10-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Paul Titus
Junior User
I know I can send my unit in for repair, but what I really would like to know if anyone has tried other computers from other vehicles with success?

Old 10-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Tuquala
Senior User
FYI, my '03 has the same "burn" mark on the left upper corner. I have just been inside mine for the second time. The first time, about 8 mos ago, I resoldered 2 chips that I could see poor soldering on. Worked fine, just wasn't very bright in daylight. Just recently, display started going in and out, so took apart again, found another bad solder on one of the "680" chips and rechecked and touched up all the others. NOW, works like new, bright in daylight, and dims with lights on like it should.

You really need to inspect the chips very closely, or even twist them with a screwdriver or such in between each other to determine if poor connection. I believe that I missed some the first time!! As to the "burn" mark, it is out of view when mounted in overhead, and I doubt if the readout is bad, but could be!!!

Old 10-09-2014, 09:01 AM
stpete
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tuquala
FYI, my '03 has the same "burn" mark on the left upper corner. I have just been inside mine for the second time. The first time, about 8 mos ago, I resoldered 2 chips that I could see poor soldering on. Worked fine, just wasn't very bright in daylight. Just recently, display started going in and out, so took apart again, found another bad solder on one of the "680" chips and rechecked and touched up all the others. NOW, works like new, bright in daylight, and dims with lights on like it should.

You really need to inspect the chips very closely, or even twist them with a screwdriver or such in between each other to determine if poor connection. I believe that I missed some the first time!! As to the "burn" mark, it is out of view when mounted in overhead, and I doubt if the readout is bad, but could be!!!
+1 - Ignore the burn mark, solder the chips.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:01 AM
Paul Titus
Junior User
I'll check the chips again.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:51 PM
jpr38057
Elder User
The 10D898 part of the number is what is called the basic part #. Any Ford truck that has that type of display unit the base part # will be 10D898. The number you posted from the part is not the actual part #, its the Ford engineering # which we have to cross. I can tell you the Excursion and Super Duty displays have different part #'s but I don't know what is actually different. I actually sent mine to a guy from Ebay who is in Minnesota and he did great.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Paul Titus
Junior User
Considering the boards look about the same from what I've seen, I would think if all options are present maybe recalibration of the gas tank size might be the only thing necessary. My thought was that the inner board essentially is the same (no need to redesign for a different model just calibrate) because the connectors look the same from the different units I've seen listed online.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The screen is a VFD (Vacuum Fluorescent Display)

The burn mark is from manufacturing. They suck all the air out and then light a fire inside to be sure all the oxygen is out of there. You should see a little glass nipple on the end where a tube used to be. That's where they sucked the air out and melted the glass shut.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:34 PM
Paul Titus
Junior User
Interesting on the burn mark.

I looked at the chips and one appears to have a crack in the solder, have to get a magnifier and see if it is and then find my solder gun.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:24 PM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
Good luck, I have fixed mine twice, and it needs a third. I think the wife needs to slow down in the Mall parking lot. Those speed bumps must be massive, because the goes over them, and the upper display stops working.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:45 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I had bought a full overhead console from CL 5 years ago from an Expedition that loomed exactly like the Excursion one. The only difference was the lens cover for the LCD trip meter was blue instead of green. You could change the color by swapping that lens cover.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:57 AM
David - WI
Senior User
Anybody know if you can add the computer to an '05 Exc that didn't come with one? I just have a plastic "plug" in the OH console opening.

If it's just a matter getting the computer/display and wiring harness; I would like to have it.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:19 AM
stpete
Senior User
The bottom line here is these are poorly built boards. A couple of the pads had even lifted on mine. Initially I tried to repair just the two chips that looked like the solder had cracked or the chip had lifted entirely. While those were the worst, the display came back very dim. Reflowing the other chips fixed it. Make sure you're good with a solder gun and can deal with lifting pads, otherwise just send it out and pay the $25.
One of the chips fell off while taking the board to my buddy who is a wizard with a solder gun. These are all just surface mount resistors, so I had to make a trip to Radio Shack. On my board, one is slightly different than the others. You can also see the chips just behind the display are pretty difficult because you can't get a good angle on them.

Quick Reply: 03 Excursion Overhead Console computer - cross ref?