6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Ford denied warranty- advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 08:27 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
That is a lot of rust.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:29 PM
70runner
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THe dark marks are not rust. That is not what they are saying is the evidence that water was in the fuel. Closer to the bolt, there are two little marks in the mettle. There is a spec of rust the one closest to the bolt. The service advisor told me initially that there wasn't evidence of rust, but ford asked him to make sure they look at it real close. So he had the Diesel tech take a look, young guy better eyes. When I looked at it I couldn't see it. I never could see it until I used a magnifying glass, then I could see it. And it does look like a spec of rust, I'll admit that. I wouldn't be complaining if the larger spots were rust. The spec is about the size of a sharpened pencil tip.

I don't know how these pumps go together. But the surface looks like it obviously bolts onto something that matches up to the machined surface. How does any liquid fuel or water get in between the machined surfaces.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:32 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
First to awnser the question. In 08 ford got a bad batch of fuel with water in it. A few trucks made it threw the plant and on to dealer floors. We had 3 come threw our shop. The longinst running truck made it 150 miles the shortest was 5 miles and 3 hours of idle time.
The brown stains are a result of the formation of fe02 on the surface, the vains have som scoring on the leading edge, the plate the all sit on looks to pitted or full of debris its hard to tell.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:56 PM
70runner
Freshman User
So I turned this into insurance and they said it was a mechanical failure and therefore, they will not cover the claim. Because fords water-fuel seperator didn't indicate any water in the fuel and ford says there was water in the fuel, by fords own admission fords part failed, under warranty. The insurance company says ford should be covering it.

I invite any Ford Rep to answer my questions, please. This makes no sense at all, If I was reading this I don't think I would believe the writer. But I am writing it, and stating the facts and I am living it, AND I still have a hard time believing it.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:14 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by 70runner
So I turned this into insurance and they said it was a mechanical failure and therefore, they will not cover the claim. Because fords water-fuel seperator didn't indicate any water in the fuel and ford says there was water in the fuel, by fords own admission fords part failed, under warranty. The insurance company says ford should be covering it. I invite any Ford Rep to answer my questions, please. This makes no sense at all, If I was reading this I don't think I would believe the writer. But I am writing it, and stating the facts and I am living it, AND I still have a hard time believing it.
Unfortunately I've seen and heard of this before, so I believe it. Most cases a statement from the dealer that water contamination caused the damage will be enough for insurance to cover it. I really don't have any great ideas at this point other than trying to find a better way to illustrate that water caused this damage.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:38 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Ford should have labed a fuel sample. The results of that sample should be enugh. Call the insurance commissions office and file a complaint.
Its clear the insurance co or the inspector has no clue how a fuel separator works.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:04 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
I would seek the state regulator for the insurance companies for your state.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:35 PM
70runner
Freshman User
Originally Posted by cheezit
Ford should have labed a fuel sample. The results of that sample should be enugh. Call the insurance commissions office and file a complaint.
Its clear the insurance co or the inspector has no clue how a fuel separator works.
The dealer has a sample, it has no water in it, no foreign debris, nothing. Its perfectly pure diesel fuel.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:53 PM
70runner
Freshman User
I'm guessing I am going to take this on right up the ****. I understand that because of the evidence of rust there had to be water. But, the fuel sample had no water in it, so the water had to be there on a previous tank of fuel. They can't explain why it happened when it did and not before with one of the previous tanks of fuel(whenever there was water).

The only explanation of why the water/fuel separator didn't detect the water was that an additive can cause the water to stay emulsified in the fuel and therefore not separate. I never used any additives. Then they say maybe the fuel supplier used additives. To that, how in the hell am I supposed to know that. It seems to me they should have to prove something to void the warranty. It was Fords water/fuel separator, under warranty, fords fuel filters, with far less miles that the recommended change interval.

So in the end Ford is saying screw you customer , and I am left with a large repair bill and a soon to be F-250 for sale.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:29 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Imo you insurance should fight it out with ford. Imo seek some counsel for some advice. A 1 hour conversation may be better then a 10k bill.
Sorry I dont have more to provide.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:45 AM
surf_ox
Senior User
Was the fuel pump disassembled and examined in a sterile environment? Doubt it.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:40 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by surf_ox
Was the fuel pump disassembled and examined in a sterile environment? Doubt it.
Does it matter. It takes 5min to disassemble a pump, no amount of rust and scoring would show up I that time.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:02 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How does rust even get in there?
You need air for rust to form ?

I mean bare metal will rust in air, water, just from the oxygen, but it takes quite a while for water to actually rust metal, how does rust end up inside an HPFP?
I would think a few drops of water mixed with lots of diesel wouldn't be ideal for rust to start at all.
Maybe these are factory defects from storage or something?

Old 10-16-2014, 10:12 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How come older injection pumps don't rust inside? A lot of older trucks got a lot more water in them and the insides of the pumps never had rust from the few I've seen anyways.
I understand the new HPFP pumps are more precise and stuff, but why are they rusting to begin with?
I'll try to ask a few guys that rebuild those old injection pumps.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:01 AM
DynamoDale
Senior User
I will have to agree with you on this one here Tom!

Originally Posted by Tom
I don't necessarily agree with you here Scott. One speck of rust does not a blown engine make. Really sounds to me like someone is using this as an excuse to deny a warranty that the OP bought and paid for. Of course that's assuming they didn't conclusively demonstrate that the fuel system failed and blew up the engine.

70runner, did the explain to you exactly what caused the engine to fail?

Quick Reply: Ford denied warranty- advice needed