1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

First Truck - 59 F100

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 05:44 PM
janschutz
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an IDIDIT tilt column in the truck now. What adapter do I need to get the original steering wheel mounted. I think the larger diameter wheel will help with the steering.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:38 AM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by janschutz
I just noticed that there are not any defroster vents. How do y'all keep the windshield clear in cold/freezing weather?
Are you talking about the under dash pieces that the hoses connect to and direct the air through the dash openings? If so, they were made from some kind of cardboard/fiber type material and most are missing more partially destroyed. We have a member here who started reproducing them but I can't remember who it was, some one will or try the search function.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:36 AM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Here ya go https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...st-vents.html#
Not sure how to adapt original wheel to your steering column. Do you still have the original steering gearbox, and how is the Ididit connected to it.
I know you had planned on a CV front end but may be very surprised at how nice the front end works and steers by just replacing the spring end bushings, drag-link and tie-rod ends and king pins! Disk brake kits for these solid axles are easily done also.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:16 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great Looking Styleside!!!!!
Vermillion, is always a great looking colour for our Orphan Years Trucks
You can Never go Wrong w/ going back to the Original Set-Up engine wise, especially if it happens to be a 223 I6 & a Ford-O-Matic. They get Excellent Petrol Mileage, I have gotten up 32 MPG & if you wish a tick more Umph, you can always attache a Supercharger to it.
The 223's are easy to find & parts are inexpensive comparatively to modern zombie build v-8s.

Cheers
Colonel Flashman

I have been restoring and driving old Mustangs for years. When my wife wrecked her Honda Hybrid, she told me she wanted an old truck. After 3 months searching, we found a 59 that she fell in love with. It has a Chevy 350 and tranny which luckily was a piece of junk so I will replace it with a Ford drive train. Working on a action plan now and open for suggestions on getting it ready to be a driver for my wife.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:24 PM
janschutz
Junior User
Julie drove the truck for an extended drive today (first time). Says the steering needs to be fixed first.

I need to figure out a way to to put the stock 18" wheel or another of the same size on the IDIDIT column. The column is the 30" universal column.

The oil pressure is around 50 to 60 psi when driving, but goes down to 20 when idling at a stop. Need to see if that is normal for the 302.

She also said it pulls to the right.

Overall she was a real happy driver today.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:12 PM
janschutz
Junior User
Took the 59 on it's first road trip last weekend, 130 miles to the farm. It starting having a hard downshift from 2nd to 1st (C6 auto). It got worst on the way back home. Less that 100' from my driveway, it stopped working in Drive. Was able to coax it in to the driveway in low. It is now back at the transmission shop. Glad it is under warranty.

Last edited by janschutz; 04-01-2015 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Cannot spell
Old 04-01-2015, 10:19 PM
hoss73ford
Elder User
LOVE the 1957-59 car hubcaps on it, but not the gauges. Sorry but I'm just a total purist when it comes to the dash. And the Custom cab steering wheels are awesome!! The former owner committed total blasphemy stuffing a Chevy 350 in it (the reason I get disgusted with the hobby these days) so so glad you undid the damage. Hey how about a set of wider whitewalls some day?

Old 04-02-2015, 08:40 AM
janschutz
Junior User
Originally Posted by hoss73ford
LOVE the 1957-59 car hubcaps on it, but not the gauges. Sorry but I'm just a total purist when it comes to the dash. And the Custom cab steering wheels are awesome!! The former owner committed total blasphemy stuffing a Chevy 350 in it (the reason I get disgusted with the hobby these days) so so glad you undid the damage. Hey how about a set of wider whitewalls some day?
Thanks,

I like the original steering wheel also. I need to find a way to mount the steering wheel onto the IDIDIT tilt column but have not found a way yet. There is not an adapter for this that I have found.

I would also like big white walls but the tires were close to new and for now, I will put the money on more important things.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:18 AM
janschutz
Junior User
Life has keep me from the truck. Had to get the drive shaft lengthened. Last night I got the turn signals wired in to the IDIDIT column.

Hope to replace the door locks this week also.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:24 AM
whalepirot
Freshman User
need to find a way to mount the steering wheel onto the IDIDIT tilt column but have not found a way yet. There is not an adapter for this that I have found.
We did this on a Nash, by drilling the steel hub in the stock wheel, then machining down a steel hub from a junk GM (early design) steering wheel to tightly fit inside that drilled hole.

Hot/cold fitment worked for us, with some 'persuading' but I have heard others made a mechanical 'lock' with set screws right in the junction of old/new hubs. The horn setup can get interesting, but is solvable.

BTW, that huge wheel IS power steering!

Old 10-21-2015, 02:19 PM
janschutz
Junior User

It has been awhile since I had time to do anything. It was overheating. Put a new Aluminum radiator and fan in. Also moved the transmission cooler off of the radiator and made a bracket to snug it up by the grill. The Dolphin Temp gauge show 210 my my inferred diagnostic gauge shows 185. Need to fix that next.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:15 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice! Its been awhile. Does the wife let you drive her truck!

Old 10-21-2015, 06:12 PM
janschutz
Junior User
Originally Posted by theodore/teddy
Nice! Its been awhile. Does the wife let you drive her truck!
HaHa - Sometimes. She really likes her truck. I am now trying to get lot of the small things done. before tackling the Crown Vic front end.

PS I told the guys that did the engine install that they would never touch any of my cars or truck again. I took it back 9 times for issues (4 for just the transmission).

Old 10-21-2015, 08:42 PM
twitbeck
Cross-Country
Stock wheels on CV? Good luck.

I suggest the jaguar IFS instead of CV. Stock type wheels with stock hub caps and axle width near perfect. Has power steering and 4 piston disc brakes. Lots of info on the swap. Not that difficult. Just check in to it. Oh I want to use 16 inch vintique wheels as 15 inch tire selection is slim now.

Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2015, 10:31 AM
hardlyrider
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another new member here just checking out a few threads. I really like your truck and agree you're lucky your wife likes such. Years ago I lived in Allen and while there replaced everything on the front end of my '58 in my small garage. I've always thought it steered very easily with the OEM wheel and well lubed new parts. The great thing is how well the tires wear with a good alignment on a straight axle. I can't do the Toyota box conversion due to my 3-on-the-tree (w/overdrive), but with your column, you might be surprised how nice the Toyota conversion would be, and you wouldn't need the larger wheel. Keep the pics coming!

Quick Reply: First Truck - 59 F100