October 2014 BS Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 10:49 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
October 2014 BS Thread

Sorry it's late guys, been really busy!

Have at it folks, maybe we can jabber a bit more this month.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:51 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Woo Hoo!

Old 10-08-2014, 11:54 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I hope everybody faired the storms last night OK. We didn't get anything here at home. I was in Louisville last night and saw the storm from the southwest as it went through Charlestown and then hit the Henry Co. and Oldham Co. area. The sky was clear where I was so you could see to the northeast the huge wall cloud. And the way it was moving, I didn't want to be in front of it! Saw some photos of the Road Ranger in Maysville, KY that got tore up. Haven't heard if that was a confirmed tornado. So far they confirmed that one hit Paris (Bourbon Co.), one hit Stamping Ground (Scott Co), and one hit Sharpsburg (Bath Co.) Also, one hit Clinton Co. 2 nights ago.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:43 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

We didn't get that weather here, but it was close.

Our address is "Jeffersonville" which got very large hail. We didn't. We just got a couple of waves of hard rain with a little wind.

We watched the storm pass to the north of Lexington from the top of the 5/3 Bank building in downtown. We were doing ropes training for the "Brave the Blue" event that concluded this evening. The storm was really impressive from up there.

Here is a picture looking north from the top. This was before the storm really got to rocking. Sorry about the quality. They don't allow anything loose (cameras, cell phones, etc.) near the rappelling platforms, so this is a capture from my helmet cam.

Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2014, 05:48 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
I saw the video of the tornado that went through Paris, which I'm sure is in that storm you filmed. That video was on The Weather Channel website.

On a side note, I need to kick myself in the azz! I found the vibration in my 06 yesterday! It was the centramatics on the front axle. For those that don't know, centramatics are suppose to be an onboard balancing system mounted on the wheel hub behind the wheels. Removed them and the vibration is 90% gone! Found out that the drivers side tie rod end is a little loose also. And, the track arm is bent. That is the arm that centers the front axle under the truck. A necessary item when your truck has coil springs. Get those fixed and aligned again and I believe it will be fixed!

Old 10-10-2014, 08:50 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

So you'll be moving your tools to the '06 soon?

Old 10-11-2014, 07:21 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
So you'll be moving your tools to the '06 soon?
This weekend it will be done. I already have a welder mounted in it as well as the oxygen/propolyne torch tanks. I have a big tool box in the front of the bed for storage for trailer spindles too.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:19 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
I saw the video of the tornado that went through Paris, which I'm sure is in that storm you filmed. That video was on The Weather Channel website.

On a side note, I need to kick myself in the azz! I found the vibration in my 06 yesterday! It was the centramatics on the front axle. For those that don't know, centramatics are suppose to be an onboard balancing system mounted on the wheel hub behind the wheels. Removed them and the vibration is 90% gone! Found out that the drivers side tie rod end is a little loose also. And, the track arm is bent. That is the arm that centers the front axle under the truck. A necessary item when your truck has coil springs. Get those fixed and aligned again and I believe it will be fixed!
Well, it wasn't anything I suggested ( I don't think) but I'm glad you found your issues!

Sorry I haven't been online much lately guys. This last week has almost taken me out!

Old 10-13-2014, 09:43 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

No problem Wes. It seems to have been a busy season for everyone.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:49 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Well, I didn't get my tools switched over the weekend like I wanted, but I got it done this evening! Going to Flemingsburg in the morning!

Old 10-14-2014, 11:16 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Well, I didn't get my tools switched over the weekend like I wanted, but I got it done this evening? Going to Flemingsburg in the morning!
I hope you have a dryer day than today. I didn't get much done. I REALLY need to cut/split some firewood.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:28 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
I bet there's plenty of Ash trees to cut too. There are plenty of them on my place. I won't have to cut a live tree for years. It's a shame what that damn bug has done!

Old 10-15-2014, 01:09 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

I bet there's plenty of Ash trees to cut too. There are plenty of them on my place. I won't have to cut a live tree for years. It's a shame what that damn bug has done!
We have a few Ash trees here, but the EAB hasn't hit us....yet.

The Southern Pine Beetle hit us hard about 15 years ago. We lost over half our Virginia and Short Leaf pines. We were lucky we didn't loose them all. We have a couple of Hemlocks we watch for the Woolly Adelgid. No sign of them yet.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:09 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Well, the property thing didn't pan out. At least it was before the down payment!

Thank goodness tonight is my last shift for the week...I'm pretty fried atm.

If all goes well, I MIGHT be getting to start replacing my rear wheel arches. Last week was me replacing the D/S engine mount that let go in less than 20,000 miles. The awesome guys at car-quest warrantied it out for me.

Mpg is still 19-21, depending. I am definitely noticing a tad lower mpg, now that the weather is changing.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:09 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
Mpg is still 19-21, depending. I am definitely noticing a tad lower mpg, now that the weather is changing.
It seems to me like the cooler air would be a good thing. But then the refineries may have already switched to their winter mix. (more alcohol based additives)

Quick Reply: October 2014 BS Thread