Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2010 Power Seat Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 08:37 AM
ccecilm2
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 Power Seat Problem

The driver side power seat will not move forward or backward (thank goodness it has stopped in the full back position). All other functions are okay (seat tilt front, seat tilt back and seat up and down). I know the one piece seat switch is rather pricey so I am looking for suggestion for testing before I dive in for a new switch. Oh, I can hear the seat motor hum when I operate the switch but the seat does not move forward or backward.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:19 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If I were doing it, I would unplug the harness connector under the seat at the motor. Unbolting the seat if I needed to get enough room for the next step. Then I'd take a good 12 volt load, like an old sealed beam headlight, or a power window motor, etc., and connect it to pins 1 and 4 of the harness connector. Wire colors GRN and GRN-VT. That is the circuit for the Forward/Backward motor. Then I'd try moving the switch to both positions, and see if the light is bright, or test motor runs OK. If so, that checks out the switch and wiring, leaving the seat motor.

Then I'd look real good at the seat motor and track. Any chance something is jammed, bent, not looking right, that the motor is externally stalled by an improper mechanical load?

If it looks OK, I'd separate the motor assembly from the seat track, and try the motor assembly on the harness minus the seat. Does it run OK both directions now, reliably? I'd try it quite a few times. If it doesn't turn, or is intermittent, then a new motor assembly.

But if it appears to be OK, I'd re-install it onto the seat, and try it again. If it fails, new motor. If it seems to be OK, I'd put it all back together, and if there is any problem with it in the future, I'd replace the motor then.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:46 AM
ccecilm2
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks Torky2. Good ideas. I will try all that this weekend when I can work during daylight hours.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:36 AM
clarktech
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW, the power seat in my daughter's 2010 Escape Hybrid quit operating front to rear. All other functions were good. Traced the problem to a failed resettable fuse built into the motor brush housing. Bypassed the fuse, motor works okay now, but a little concerned that motor is not protected from overcurrent. Found an acceptable replacement fuse (10 amp hold, 16 V) on Digikey for about fifty cents each.

The seat rails seem really tight. Any ideas about how to free them up? Lubrication alone didn't seem to do the trick.