Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Question: How does one read the Transmission Dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 05:31 PM
rob_jones
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid Question: How does one read the Transmission Dipstick?

I have a 1992 F-150 with the 5.0 engine and E4OD automatic transmission. I just replaced the radiator and installed an auxiliary transmission cooler and am having some trouble figuring out the proper fluid level for the transmission.

I've only owned this truck a few months and the previous owner told me that he had recently had the transmission serviced and when I removed the radiator, the transmission fluid that spilled looked very fresh, so I believe him.

I didn't think to check the fluid level BEFORE unhooking the transmission cooler lines from the radiator. But now I'm thinking it may have been overfilled because after installing the aux cooler and checking the fluid level, it appeared to be overfilled (I expected it to be at least a quart low after replacing the radiator and adding the cooler).

But maybe I'm just not reading the dipstick correctly [insert Roscoe P. Coletrain joke here]. When I look at the dipstick, I can see fluid on it and it goes at least an inch past the hash marks, but it's just merely wet, not like what you'd expect when looking at an oil dipstick where the level is clearly defined. How is the level determined? By there just being any amount of fluid visible on the dipstick, or should it be a thicker coating like what you'd see when checking the engine oil? If that's the case, then maybe it's now underfilled!

Can somebody attempt to explain what I should be looking for when trying to read the transmission fluid level?

Nearly all of my 20 or so years of mechanical experience is with European imports, so working on this Ford is like starting over from scratch for me! The mix of standard and metric fasteners on the same vehicle blows my mind - I had to buy a standard tool set!

Old 10-06-2014, 05:45 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

Transmission fluid level can be tricky, and is very important.

First to be truly accurate it must be checked when warmed up, after driving, and on a level surface. This may be why to you it looks high, if checked when not running it will read high. If checked running but not warmed up, it will read low. If leaning left or back it will read low, if leaning forward or right it will read high.

Also a little too low, is better then a little to high. So error on the side of too low, and if it's a question to add or not, don't, easier and safer to add later then remove if you have too much.

When filling/checking after work is done before starting, as long as it's at least in or close to the hash it's safe to start. After starting, run through each gear manually then back to park, leave it running and check. At this point it's not warmed up and close to the bottom of the hash is what you should see/fill to. Then you can go for a drive, when a chance arrives where it's warmed up and you have a level place to park, check again.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:48 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You should see a solid indication of fluid level, just like the engine oil.

To check the level correctly, warm up the transmission by going for a drive. Then park on a level spot and shift into every position, giving the transmission time to engage or disengage as necessary. Start in park, work your way thru the positions, and then go back to park.

Then while you leave the engine running, stick it and check the level.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:58 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rob_jones
... When I look at the dipstick, I can see fluid on it and it goes at least an inch past the hash marks, but it's just merely wet, not like what you'd expect when looking at an oil dipstick where the level is clearly defined. How is the level determined? By there just being any amount of fluid visible on the dipstick, or should it be a thicker coating like what you'd see when checking the engine oil? If that's the case, then maybe it's now underfilled!
Ohh yeah this part. What I think you're seeing isn't uncommon. ATF sloshes up inside the tube while driving, the level get's higher when the engine is off, coats the tube when you fill, etc. this will tend to leave streaks of ATF on the dipstick from inside the tube and of course on the stick.

Park, pull the stick, wipe it off, put it back and pull it out. The level is where the ATF is solid all the way around/up the stick.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:09 PM
rob_jones
New User
Thanks for the info!

Perhaps I should point out that I am checking the fluid on a level surface with the transmission warmed up after driving and in Park, and the engine running.

I remove the dipstick, wipe it off with a clean cloth, reinsert for a second or two, then remove and check level.

There is no thick coating of fluid on it. It's just wet and has a thin layer of pink fluid that is slightly thicker at the edges of the dipstick.

Would it be possible to get a photo of a dipstick with the proper fluid level? That would be a huge help!

Old 10-06-2014, 06:20 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It won't really be a thick coating, trans fluid is pretty thin as it is.

Try leaving the dipstick in there for a count of five. That should give you a better reading.

If you don't see a solid level indication, then your fluid level is too low. Simple as that.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:47 PM
blueoval66
Senior User
You are not going to see a thick coating. ATF is very thin and pink as you're seeing as long as its in the crosshatch are your good Add if below .

Old 08-09-2015, 01:11 AM
mikenamys
Senior User
Check BOTH sides and always go with the lower reading.