1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Should I Restore this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Wranglerboy94
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I Restore this?

Hey guys,
I'm brand new to this site because I just acquired a 1953 Ford F-100 and wondering if I should do a restoration project on it. It is in very rough shape and I'm concerned if I should even bother. The only reason I'd consider doing a restoration on this one is because it was my grandfather's. One aspect I really like about it is its patina and I think it might look neat to clear coat it and make it a street rod. So My question is.. is it worth it and is it possible? Now I will figure out how to upload pictures so wish me luck...

Old 10-06-2014, 05:16 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
It all depends on how much time you have, your knowledge of older trucks, and especially how deep your pockets are. If just one of those categories are not there, if I were you I wouldn't touch it. However, if your pockets go far enough, I'd take it to a reputable builder and tell them what u want done to it.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:28 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hello and welcome to the forum!

That one would be a project!! It appears that the elements have taken their toll on the old girl. If your sentimental value is very high, then, by all means, start the project.

Just from the one pic, you do would have to replace the cab corners and the bottoms of the doors. More pics are needed to show us all just what kind of shape it is in.

There is a company in Sterling Heights Michigan that makes replacement panels and parts for the sheet metal that you will need. Do a web search on Northern Classic Truck Parts.

Some of the guys here advise new buyers of classic trucks to spend more on their initial purchase to get a really solid starting point...then spend less on restoration. You will not be going that route!!

Another question worth asking....even though it was in your family, does anybody have the title to the truck? Don't start anything until you have it legally registered in your name.

Dan

Old 10-06-2014, 05:43 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That looks like a very difficult unit to bring back. Detail pictures would help evaluate the feasibility of bringing the truck back. I can see the desire to do so, being the truck belonged to your grandfather. By all means, save the door for the 'art' and family value.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:45 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
The only reason for anyone to touch that poor old truck would be sentimental value, and to be honest, if it meant much to your grandpa, I don't think it would have been left to rot like that. There isn't much patina, there's a ton of really, really bad rust.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:49 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
I would say by the picture you need a completely different truck to start with. From what I see the whole bottom end of the cab is completely gone including cab mounts. If it were my grandfathers and wanted a remembrance I'd remove the door and hang it in my shop/garage with his picture. In all honesty I think it is too far gone.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:51 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
welcome to fte,i have to agree with Ross if it was me i would not touch it,but that is just
my opinion good luck

Old 10-06-2014, 05:52 PM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
Doubt very seriously if that truck is registered so there is your first obstacle.
The restore of that one looks to be a BIG BIG job and expense. So not knocking you or your skills but this is what I would do.
I would landscape around that area, Clear coat that truck and put a sign up commemorating my grand father. Thus yard art

Old 10-06-2014, 06:10 PM
Wranglerboy94
New User
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm considering all options here. Removing the door however gave me another idea although. Does it sound appropriate to remove what is in better shape on the truck and use it on another oldie? For example the frame is in good shape, the hood, grill, and I would take the most sentimental part (the doors) and slap them on another older truck with similar looks. I know its probably going to be tough to find another like this one here, so that's why I'm asking you guys! The more opinions the better! Any other ideas, lawn art appreciated, I'd love to hear. Got the money and time just throw it at me

Old 10-06-2014, 06:44 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
No, even if they gave it to you, you'd be better off with something less rusted out.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
All those guys are correct! Doors ,cab corners floor, and possibly roof around the drip rail, keep the doors and part it out, the doors would look cool hanging in the garage or your basement bar!

Old 10-06-2014, 07:19 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Whatever you decide to do, It might be nice to have a family portrait taken, with the truck in it (in its current condition) representing your grandfathers memory. It may not be drivable, but it is still beautiful just the way it sits. Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:28 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Find another 53 in much better shape and have the doors painted to match the style of the original. If truck has patina, go with a more weathered look.

As an alternative to the other 'yard art' suggestions, consider having the truck sawed. Taking a front to back line near the steering column would give you the profile that might be mounted against the side of a building. It would take a little work, but would far less expensive and more certain in outcome than a resto project. Your call either way.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:44 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
If you want a truck like the one your grandfather had, then get a much better 53-55 F-100 and use this one as a parts truck. That way you end up with a nice truck and you can honestly say that parts of your grandfather's truck are on it.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Horizonblue
Senior User
I agree with 38coupe. Get a better truck and use any parts you can from your Grandpa's truck. That way it is doable and you have honoured your Grandpa's memory. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Should I Restore this?