1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Should I Restore this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 08:30 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
These are not rare vehicles, Ford built a ton of them...if you want one then find one that is in better shape. I just sold a 1-owner 53 with no rust for $2,500...there's no way that you could repair that truck for anywhere near that amount. Time for a road trip down South or out West, take a trailer!

Old 10-07-2014, 05:50 AM
MLBaranowski
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of the best advice I heard years ago was to buy the best vehicle you can afford to use as a project. Cause starting with a solid base makes for a better vehicle.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:54 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes , restore it . But be warned , It will cost $15000 to $20,000 , If you do most of the work your self , and if you have a shop and tools to work with . [ Plasma cutter , wielders , torch , big air compressor , sand blaster , lift, engine crane , air tools , band aids , and lots more ] You will also need to put aside 1,000 to 2,000 hours to do the work . Then when your done you will have a truck to be proud of . Even getting it just safe , to drive will cost you 7 to 10,000 , [ complete brake and steering rebuild , motor , radiator , water pump , u joints , clutch , lights and wiring, glass , wipers , horn . cab and seat mounts , gas tank and fuel system , Just for a start . If your ready for this kind of challenge go for it . If you get it done you will be real happy with yourself .

Old 10-07-2014, 12:26 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Welcome to FTE!
Boy this is a tough one. I have my wife's grandpa's truck. That does really change the dynamic. Having his actual truck means a lot. Your problem is that there is so much gone. DR Smith is correct that it will cost that or more.

There is something special about restoring a truck like this, but it's not to be taken lightly. You don't want to get years and thousands of dollars in the hole with nothing really to show. Frustration can grow quickly when you get stuck. I know that my truck is worth less than I have in it, but it's special to me and the family.

With the condition that truck is in, I would lean toward using parts of it as yard or garage art and get a different truck. I would be hesitant to use the parts you have on another oldie. Just for the fact that you really want to get the best truck you can for the money you have. Those parts won't fit well on a truck that's pretty much ready to go.

It really all depends on your skill, patience and pocketbook. I would love to see that truck brought back to live, but I don't think it would go too well for you.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:25 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
The problem I see is there's not enough truck left to restore. All of the sheet metal is completely rusted away. There's nothing in these pictures worth salvaging. If you could gather up a few trinkets as mementos, that's great. Use them or display them. But if you truly want a truck to restore, this isn't the one.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:23 AM
ChuckRob
Elder User
Looks like something that Fred Flintstone might want to drive.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:24 AM
MLBaranowski
Freshman User
I would save the door and use it as a wall hanger.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:46 AM
ETOWN55
Senior User
If the frame is good use the frame and build you a good suspension to start with. I would look for a better body or a better truck to start with.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:30 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I don't see how the body could look like that and the frame be "good". Laying in the weeds for any length of time will take its toll.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:29 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
After reading all the replies I thought I'd throw my 2¢ in. I started out with a truck in about the same condition and ended up replacing everything except the frame, both axles and transmission. I replaced every piece of sheet metal and patched the rear fenders, replacing about 50% of the metal because I couldn't find a better set for an F-2. I started working on my truck 30 years ago before there were many reproduction parts makers out but I still could get many mechanical parts from local auto parts stores.

My truck belonged to my dad, he used it for his auto repair business. I remember the day he bought the rusted out hulk in 1969 after looking at numerous other trucks. At the time I remember wondering why he bought such a rusty piece of junk. I ended up spending every available minute in that truck with my dad for the next five years. It was in pretty rough shape when he bought it and it didn't get any better the five years he drove it through Wisconsin winters and left if set on the side of the driveway for another five years until I started tearing it apart. I was young, single and foolish. I did all of the work myself, mechanical and bodywork and paint. I think I stuck about $3000 into the truck, I did a lot of horse dealing to get parts. I am currently working on a '37 Buick that was in about as bad of condition as my F-2 and the truck Wranglerboy94 has. I guess I'm just nuts, who isn't who is involved with old cars and trucks? It's just different degrees. I will say this, I am burned out with working on old rusty hulks, the next vehicle I buy the only tool to make it run will be an ignition switch.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:40 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd have to say the frame is likely toast. With how far up the rust goes up the cab corners, box, and the door, I'm pretty sure you'd find that the frame is probably pretty spongy too. When the cancer has spread this far, I can't imagine getting anything to line up, no matter how careful or good a bodyman you are. I wish that I could tell you to go for it, but to me this is a parts truck at most, even for what I see down in the rust belt. It can be done but you could have an easier project that'll turn out nicer if you started with a different truck to start with, with less cost in the end and less headaches.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:26 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Unfortunately most advice you have gotten is good advice, This one is way too far gone, about 20 steps beyond patina far into the pile of iron oxide being naturally reclaimed category. There is nothing left that could realistically ever be used on another vehicle. Hire a good photographer to take some pictures of it as it sits, it's a better picture subject than anything else, especially with the leaves turning, have a good quality print made, and hang it on the wall next to the door as a memorial.
I highly doubt you would even be able to move it without it disintegrating.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:27 PM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Take the advice, let this one go. Part out what you can, save a few of the momento's for your ride.

Things like the instrument cluster, steering wheel, and door handles come to mind. Think about how many times that old man touched those handles opening and closing the doors!

I can speak from experience, mine was not this bad and was a PITA. If you are serious about it, go to the Midwest. Well worth the time and money.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:39 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Wrangler,
I'll take a different tack on this. If my grandfather had left me his truck I'd do whatever it takes to bring his truck back to life. Pull that old truck out of the weeds & let's see some pics of the interior, bed, frame, engine, etc.. Normally you will replace the entire drivetrain & possibly both axles so the mechanical stuff isn't too important - though it would be cool if you could get the motor going.

I think it's fair to replace large cancerous pieces of sheet metal but at some point you have to define what is the "essence" of your grandpa's truck. We saved the cab & bed on our truck & I still feel comfortable that our truck is a 1950 not a replica though we replaced all the fenders with new fiberglass ones for $265ea as they were too far gone.

What's to lose by pulling it out of the weeds & taking a good hard look at it?

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 10-08-2014, 09:12 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Ben, what you typed made me chuckle a bit. As you can see from the picture I posted of my '49 F-2 it was in really bad shape when I pulled it from the side of the driveway after sitting five years in the same spot. My dad and his buddies used it as a trash can. The cab was literally filled with empty beer cans, the driver's door window was missing so it was an easy target for empty cans.

It was literally a piece of junk when I started tearing it apart but it meant a lot to me. My sister was a little put off that our dad gave the truck, or what was left of it, to me for free. She said she had wanted to fix it up but I knew she would never had done anything with it. After I had it fixed up and back on the road one day my sister made an off handed remark about the truck being dads. I informed her that I actually bought and paid for larger percentage of parts on the truck than what was left that was dad's. Right now as it sits at least 80% of the truck is what I've paid for. It may be more my truck than it is my dad's truck but it's still "Ol' Betsy", still makes the same noises and has the same smells as when I was a ten year old kid driving across town with my dad. Unfortunately, my dad passed a few years before I had the truck back on the road but he still rides with me.

Quick Reply: Should I Restore this?