Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Steering stabilizer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Silverlake
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering stabilizer?

Just purchased a 2000 F250 4x4 7.3. It has 88,000 miles on it.
The steering wanders more than I care for. After reading several posts on the subject, I have only done the following:
New E rated tires all four at 70 psi
Checked toe-in with tape measure - appears to be dead on.
Tightened gearbox screw 1/8th turn.
Not much change (if any).

I noticed a bracket near the tie rod that appears to be for a steering stabilizer. I don't see any sign on the tie rod though where it would have been clamped.

Would a stabilizer help? Was there one there originally?
If I need one, any recommendations as to brand/type appreciated.

I do not have a "lift kit" if that matters.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:12 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 615 Likes on 383 Posts
IMO you need to find the reason it's wandering. A steering stabilizer may *help* but won't fix whatever is wrong.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:59 PM
Silverlake
Senior User
Originally Posted by ToMang07
IMO you need to find the reason it's wandering. A steering stabilizer may *help* but won't fix whatever is wrong.
I agree, there is likely other issues causing the problem and I will look into them.
As the truck is new to me though, can someone tell me if a stabilizer came on the truck stock?

Old 10-05-2014, 07:30 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Some did some didn't. Depends on what package came with the truck. My truck didn't come with one, but added one from rockauto for about $40. It came with all the brackets needed.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:30 PM
sgarder
Senior User
Are the ball joints original? Can you grease them? Recently had a wandering problem on our 2004 Expedition (City Fire Dept.) with 30 to 40 thousand miles on it, will look up tomorrow. Would drive straight as an arrow, I went 1.5 miles without touching the wheel on good road, otherwise wander all over the place. Ball joints were tight, new ball joints took care of the issue.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Silverlake
Senior User
Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.
As far as I can tell everything is stock. I doubt there was ever a stabilizer mounted as there is no sign of anything being bolted to the bracket.

I'm too busy to do a front-end rebuild right now and am wishing I had checked it out closer before purchase. Say la vee.

Anyone reccomend a good shop in the San Diego area?

Old 10-05-2014, 08:28 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
I had a few trucks worked on at 4 wheel parts in Chula Vista several years ago and they always did quality work. Now if you want one of the best diesel shops on the west coast, drive up to Diesel Tech in San Jacinto (1685 S. State St, San Jacinto, CA 92582 (951) 766-5777 dieseltech1.com ) and they do very good work. Aside from other shops in San Diego like ORW, you will be stuck with a dealership for the most part as finding someone that knows their way around a 7.3 is getting harder to find.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:33 PM
Silverlake
Senior User
Thanks,
I've got a few guys who may have some insight on a good mechanic for this as well.
I'll update what I end up doing when it happens.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:00 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I agree with all above, find the root problem. Probably bushings or joints.

As for a recommendation, I added the BDS dual stabilizer, and it made a WORLD of a difference.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:09 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
check ball joints, tie rod ends, and wheel bearings.
my 02 has the stabalizer disconnected because it was bent when delivering it, the tow truck driver hit something with it.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:51 AM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Just a thought. Over inflated tires can make your rig feel like it is running on ball bearings. I.e., non directional. You might want to follow the inflation recommendations on the door pillar of your truck.

When I put the four new Michelin LTX AT2s (load range E) on my van (and yes a new spare as well) the tires were inflated to 80 psi. The van felt like it was riding on ball bearings with very little directional stability. Was told by the tire guy to reduce the pressure to what was on the door pillar and the problem went away.

I can't see a steering stabilizer curing a wandering problem myself. However, a dual opposing pressurized shock set up eliminated my death wobble. Just a suggestion. See Turbostew's recommendation on this page:

<!-- l -->viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4399&hilit=quad+van+death+wobble&start=45<!-- l -->

Rough Country dual with Bilstein dual opposing gas pressurized shocks worked really well for me vis a vis dw cure. (But I also did some significant rewelding for my application.)

Warning: Although you can use a single stabilizer. You can not use a single gas pressurized shock.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:23 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
1/8 turn on the steering gear box, why bother, 1/8 is not going to make a noticeable difference. If you have play in the gear box it needs to removed. Jack up the front end, both tires off the ground and turn the wheel back and forth, make adjustments to the box as you check for free play or binding. When you feel a slight bind at passing center back off slightly and you should be good. Do a search, somebody posted a more in depth procedure but this is the basic idea.

Good luck.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Justin03PSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
Just a thought. Over inflated tires can make your rig feel like it is running on ball bearings. I.e., non directional. You might want to follow the inflation recommendations on the door pillar of your truck.
+1 on this.

My door card says 55 psi front and 70 psi rear. I run 55 psi on all four. The higher rating for the rears is just for dumb dumbs that don't know to air up when they haul or tow.

Also, adding a stabilizer will definitely help with bump steer if you're experiencing that.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Silverlake
Senior User
Wow, thanks for all the input.
The truck is now at MDS Diesel in El Cajon. A very good friend of mine highly recommended them. If I had time I'd rather do the work myself but these guys have a great record and the shop is very busy.

Just for grins I stopped by Sears Auto Center and got a quote from the Service desk for 2K+ for both ball joints and tie rods. He assured me they have several technicians who know these trucks well.

As for the steering damper, the dual gas setup would be cheap insurance and makes a lot of sense. I'll probably get one and install it.

The tires are rated to 80 PSI and without starting a tire pressure war, I'll just say that Discount tire had all four at 50. I ran them all to 70 - no change (other than feeling every pebble). When I get it back, I'll use the info on the door sticker.

My 1st guess is the steering box just based on the way it feels through the steering wheel. It feels just like backlash but only in one spot (dead center). While I didn't lift it off the ground, I did crawl around underneath and everything feels very tight, none of the grease boots are torn and the tie rods are good and stiff.

Last edited by Silverlake; 10-06-2014 at 04:46 PM. Reason: rand changed to ran
Old 10-06-2014, 06:29 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
You said you just bought it,

Have you had another? They're not corvettes. Everything on mine is tight and new but I'm by no means "sawing the wheel" but they're heavy and do need a good eye depending on the class of road your traveling.

Just saying.

Denny (1999 SD ext cab 7.3 4x Michigander)

Quick Reply: Steering stabilizer?