1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Bye Bye Front Drums

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 02:58 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Bye Bye Front Drums

Here's some of this weekends progress. Getting close to having all the front suspension and discs installed, from a '77 F-100, into my '69 F-100 Ranger.

After that, it's on to installing a '78 F-150 Saginaw power steering gear box, a Ford C-2 power steering pump and brackets that came off an '82 pickup with a 300, and then install a tilt steering column from a '78 F-150.

I'm going to give the new Moog CC808 progressive front coil springs some time to settle before I install the front sway bar from a '78 F-250 Camper Special.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:13 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
I am probably going to replace my springs with the 808s too. I'm interested to see what kind of improvement they make on your truck.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:21 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
**NICE**.

Btw, if ya don't already know, the 78 hoses will come up short at full steering lock. In 71, Ford changed the hard line/hose bracket due to the front disc calipers whose hoses drop in from the top versus drum hoses whose hoses are more horizontal.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:22 PM
Ozarktraveler
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
I am probably going to replace my springs with the 808s too. I'm interested to see what kind of improvement they make on your truck.
2X... also, the combination after adding the sway bar.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:05 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
**NICE**.

Btw, if ya don't already know, the 78 hoses will come up short at full steering lock. In 71, Ford changed the hard line/hose bracket due to the front disc calipers whose hoses drop in from the top versus drum hoses whose hoses are more horizontal.

Yeah, I grabbed the hard line-to-flexible line frame brackets off the '77 when I got the rest of the suspension parts to do this conversion.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:16 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good thread keep the pics coming throughout the rest of the suspension/steering upgrades. Power steering may be in store for the new 69 ranger.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:07 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by crazed87bronco
Good thread keep the pics coming throughout the rest of the suspension/steering upgrades. Power steering may be in store for the new 69 ranger.
Thanks. I don't have all the brake components completely installed yet but, these are a before and during-the-process photos to give some comparison. I wish I could have gotten the frame and other items really clean (this thing had a lot of grease/dirt/oil on the frame and drum brake suspension) but, hard to get things clean with the body on the frame. It's at least a major improvement.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:29 PM
Coastal68
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
I have front drums and armstrong PS on my 68 F-250. Like others have said; I'm interested to know what you think of the difference the disc brakes and PS make.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:19 PM
instig8r63
Cargo Master
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts
Nice job, Ultra.
I'm using '77 parts for mine, also.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:11 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
3X nice job. I like the jack stands being fore and aft. Also obviously you didn't go cheap on the rotors.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:26 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Looks nice, I would also like to know how much of a difference the Moog CC808 progressive springs make.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:41 PM
danhigor
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have any links for how-to articles on these swaps? I would love to swap my 72 over to disc brakes.

Thanks,
Gene

Old 10-06-2014, 05:53 PM
instig8r63
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
Looks nice, I would also like to know how much of a difference the Moog CC808 progressive springs make.
Very noticeable difference from 40+ year old springs.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:53 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by instig8r63
Nice job, Ultra.
I'm using '77 parts for mine, also.
Thanks, Bobby.

This is what I started out with on the '77 wrecking yard donor parts I bought during the summer a year ago. --It's actually cleaner in this photo than when I got home with it. I had pressure washed it before I took this photo.

Some of the suspension components after liberal doses of Castrol Super Clean, wire brushing and then a trip through the bead blast cabinet and then 2 coats of primer and 4 top coats of paint.

I checked with alignment and auto repair shops around my area but, no one had the reamer to do the kingpin bushings --I guess kingpin installations are a lost or dying art. I called an engine machine shop (CMS Racing Engines) in a neighboring town and told them what I had and asked if they had a reamer to ream the kingpin bushings. The owner said he had three. I asked how much would it cost for them to ream the bushings, the owner (who doesn't even know me) said I was welcome to borrow what he had. I picked the reamers up last Friday, after I got off work, came home and hand reamed the bushings. I used the piloted-reamer to start the first pass so that both bushings would be inline and straight, relative to each other. The piloted-reamer was just slightly undersized, compared to the kingpin diameter.

Piloted-reamer just passing through the 2nd, lower, bushing (after this photo, I changed the spindle to a horizontal position and ran the piloted-reamer on through).

One of the other borrowed reamers was an adjustable one that I set to make the final pass through the bushings with. I've never dealt with kingpins before so, this was definitely a learning experience.

The left side assembled, everything nice and tight and the spindle rotates smoothly with no slack.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:19 PM
instig8r63
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ultraranger
Thanks, Bobby.

This is what I started out with on the '77 wrecking yard donor parts I bought during the summer a year ago. --It's actually cleaner in this photo than when I got home with it. I had pressure washed it before I took this photo.

Some of the suspension components after liberal doses of Castrol Super Clean, wire brushing and then a trip through the bead blast cabinet and then 2 coats of primer and 4 top coats of paint.

I checked with alignment and auto repair shops around my area but, no one had the reamer to do the kingpin bushings --I guess kingpin installations are a lost or dying art. I called an engine machine shop (CMS Racing Engines) in a neighboring town and told them what I had and asked if they had a reamer to ream the kingpin bushings. The owner said he had three. I asked how much would it cost for them to ream the bushings, the owner (who doesn't even know me) said I was welcome to borrow what he had. I picked the reamers up last Friday, after I got off work, came home and hand reamed the bushings. I used the piloted-reamer to start the first pass so that both bushings would be inline and straight, relative to each other. The piloted-reamer was just slightly undersized, compared to the kingpin diameter.

Piloted-reamer just passing through the 2nd, lower, bushing (after this photo, I changed the spindle to a horizontal position and ran the piloted-reamer on through).

One of the other borrowed reamers was an adjustable one that I set to make the final pass through the bushings with. I've never dealt with kingpins before so, this was definitely a learning experience.

The left side assembled, everything nice and tight and the spindle rotates smoothly with no slack.

I remember seeing reamers in the tool room when I worked for Ford. Seems nobody has them anymore. You lucked out with the piloted reamer.
I had mine done at an engine shop with a wrist pin hone.

Quick Reply: Bye Bye Front Drums