6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

P2289 - The Result

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 12:07 PM
Vits
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P2289 - The Result

Last week the CEL made an appearance unexpectedly as always. The truck began to idle rough - occasionally felling like it was either missing or surging. Driving it home that day I noticed it had no power...turbo would make 18 to 20 lbs. boost max. Once at highway speed it would drive normally but had no passing power.

I did my online research and did not really find too much listed under the 6.4 other than either the pressure sensor had gone bad or a wiring short was causing the error code. I booked it into the local Ford dealer and hoped the fix was simple. I dropped it off first thing the next morning for them to do the work.

As expected, I got the call that yes, the injector pressure control sensor was bad...and the part was only $57.00, would I like them to complete the repair? Absolutely I said...they would call me when it was ready. Later in the day I get the call that its ready so I head over to pick it up...as promised the part was $57.00, but the labor was 5.5 hours at $125/hour!! Taxes and "shop supplies" all in this was a $900 CAD touch...ugh!! The IPC is under the valve cover and takes time to get to which I believe...but they also charged me for the time to program the ECM back to stock and then reprogram it back to my settings which I was not real pleased with but was necessary - better than having them flash the ECM and lock out my SCT programmer!

Anyways, the green beast is now running like a race car again with 224,000 kms on the odometer and seems to be a little quieter at idle (might just be me though).

I wanted to post this for any others that get the P2289 code and are looking for some info as there was not a lot that I could see about the cure...the parts are relatively cheap but the labor is a bit more than I would have expected.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:27 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Vits
Last week the CEL made an appearance unexpectedly as always. The truck began to idle rough - occasionally felling like it was either missing or surging. Driving it home that day I noticed it had no power...turbo would make 18 to 20 lbs. boost max. Once at highway speed it would drive normally but had no passing power.

I did my online research and did not really find too much listed under the 6.4 other than either the pressure sensor had gone bad or a wiring short was causing the error code. I booked it into the local Ford dealer and hoped the fix was simple. I dropped it off first thing the next morning for them to do the work.

As expected, I got the call that yes, the injector pressure control sensor was bad...and the part was only $57.00, would I like them to complete the repair? Absolutely I said...they would call me when it was ready. Later in the day I get the call that its ready so I head over to pick it up...as promised the part was $57.00, but the labor was 5.5 hours at $125/hour!! Taxes and "shop supplies" all in this was a $900 CAD touch...ugh!! The IPC is under the valve cover and takes time to get to which I believe...but they also charged me for the time to program the ECM back to stock and then reprogram it back to my settings which I was not real pleased with but was necessary - better than having them flash the ECM and lock out my SCT programmer!

Anyways, the green beast is now running like a race car again with 224,000 kms on the odometer and seems to be a little quieter at idle (might just be me though).

I wanted to post this for any others that get the P2289 code and are looking for some info as there was not a lot that I could see about the cure...the parts are relatively cheap but the labor is a bit more than I would have expected.
Thanks for the info Vits!!