1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are these plugs for? (Inside drivers door)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 07:00 PM
ZombiePopper
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What are these plugs for? (Inside drivers door)

In the process of fixing my exterior door handle and power door lock button today and I came across these 2 plugs just hanging and not hooked up to anything.

-I initially thought 1 might be for the power mirror option (but my truck doesn't have power/heated mirrors though.)

-So now I'm thinking 1 might be for the door panel reflector light??? (Do they light up? I ask because my door panel reflectors don't have a bulb or plug)

-my power door lock on the drivers side is not working, BUT the passenger power door lock button IS working, does one of these plugs connect to the power lock somewhere?

*EDIT; the black plug goes to my drivers door dome light switch, I plugged it in and when I open the drivers door the dome light works now! Still can't find where the grey plug goes though

Thanks guys for any assistance!

Old 10-04-2014, 04:11 AM
Mcrafty1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by ZombiePopper
In the process of fixing my exterior door handle and power door lock button today and I came across these 2 plugs just hanging and not hooked up to anything.

-I initially thought 1 might be for the power mirror option (but my truck doesn't have power/heated mirrors though.)

-So now I'm thinking 1 might be for the door panel reflector light??? (Do they light up? I ask because my door panel reflectors don't have a bulb or plug)

-my power door lock on the drivers side is not working, BUT the passenger power door lock button IS working, does one of these plugs connect to the power lock somewhere?

*EDIT; the black plug goes to my drivers door dome light switch, I plugged it in and when I open the drivers door the dome light works now! Still can't find where the grey plug goes though

Thanks guys for any assistance!

My guess would be even though you state you don't have them the truck is prewired for the heated mirrors......does the wire have power to it whenever the key is in the run position? if it does that would make sense because the mirror heat is on all the time on these trucks, at least on my 07 they are.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:47 AM
ZombiePopper
Senior User
Thanks for the response, I'm going to be re checking today,
But I'm thinking it's actually for the door lock actuator or at least plugs into that harness somewhere (?)
I've done a bunch of searching and while I haven't found a list of which plug goes where, reading thru wiring schematics makes me think that's correct, plus my drivers side power lock button is completely dead and does nothing.
But it'd be nice if it IS for powered mirrors! That'd be a quick easy swap

Old 10-04-2014, 01:34 PM
csurp
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where does it plug in on the other side?

Old 10-04-2014, 06:59 PM
ZombiePopper
Senior User
The harness of the gray plug goes from the back of the door,
to the front of the door (hinges) and joins into the main wire harness of the power window and power locks.
A lot of the wire schematics I've seen, show a pink w/green tracer (?) and pink w/yellow tracer (?) wires (of the gray plug) going into the power lock actuator,
But I've looked all over the power lock actuator (even loosened it for a better view) and can't find another dang plug to connect this plug to anywhere.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:37 PM
ZombiePopper
Senior User
All right....
Think I figured it out,
It LOOKS like the entire black plastic lock actuator is completely gone and missing (?)
Not sure why the previous owner would remove it and not replace it (?) even if it was acting up....
I'll post a pic tomm, but that explains why I can't find where to plug this wire in....

Old 10-05-2014, 09:27 AM
GOT-DRT
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ZombiePopper
All right....
Think I figured it out,
It LOOKS like the entire black plastic lock actuator is completely gone and missing (?)
Not sure why the previous owner would remove it and not replace it (?) even if it was acting up....
I'll post a pic tomm, but that explains why I can't find where to plug this wire in....
I guess some people are just hacks