Looking for Double Din HU that will have everything or almost everything that stock unit has

Old 10-03-2014, 10:25 AM
cubangt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for Double Din HU that will have everything or almost everything that stock unit has

I have 2011 XLT with the stock HU with No Nav. Ive been reading a few posts and other sites about installing aftermarket HU and losing some of the factory options, meaning control or voice control.

Since im use to the XM and voice command ability in the truck currently, id like to get something that I can continue to have those options and still control from the steering wheel.

I know I can get the PAC harness/modules that will handle most of this, but so far the few things ive found about doing this upgrade in the 2009+ seem to all have different outcomes..

Anyone have suggestions on a HU that has everything plus more and still works with the factory steering controls?

HU models would be great if you have had success in upgrading.
HU with Nav and DVD would be a plus and even the ability to add backup camera..

thanks..

Old 12-16-2014, 10:16 AM
cubangt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone replace the stock basic radio with aftermarket unit? Did you lose any functionality by doing so?

With all the Christmas deals around I started to shop around again for a headunit, and found some decent deals for headunit with nav, steering wheel module, XM module, but no one could clearly explain or tell me about the voice controls that come with SYNC.

Im looking for someone that has already done the swap and any feedback they can provide on what they wish they done different or not done at all.

Like ive told the few places ive gone, I don't want to lose anything I already have, but would love to get a lot more from the upgrade besides a better radio.. Like the kenwood HU I found I would now have NAv, which I don't have in the truck, but do with a tomtom unit.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:28 PM
Hotrod70d
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just bought a kenwood gps double din today. I'll know soon when I get it. As far as I know they retain the steering wheel buttons and other options if you get the radio that has those options. Watch what u get . Kenwood has the best gps . That's why I went with them

Old 01-08-2015, 08:18 AM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Alpine ine w957hd with maestro did all that on mine

Old 01-17-2015, 03:28 PM
Hotrod70d
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did my kenwood dnx5160 install had warm weather . Was fairly easy .wiring was easy as to everything was matched up to the aftermarket harness. The actual mounting of the unit was a lil different had to mod the mount kit like directions said . Used grinder to grind off plastic tabs. Didn't use metal cage that comes with the kenwood unit . Which is not in directions. Just bolt mount kit to radio . Had to install longer screws which were self tappers . Why they used them I don't know . Other than that fairly easy half hr soldering wires in house half hr removing and installing radio .