Sponsored by: Moser

73 F250 Wiring Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 01:49 AM
kboldin
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
73 F250 Wiring Issues

Working out some wiring issues, the PO installed an aftermarket gas gauge, horn, radio and tons of unnecessary re-wiring. We’ll I was able to figure out what he did and revert it back to the original wiring. It’s been quite the experience! The fuel gauge was a bad IVR, ordered a solid state unit and still have to fix the tank leads but I believe I have the problem solved. The horn I stripped out, I’ll fix that at a later date. The radio, I’ll head toward the wreckers and see what I can find. I’ll need the brackets, hardware, the whole kit. The ignition was also re-wired, probably not too un-common for a forty year old truck. I’ve sorted through most of the mess but have two issues left. The ignition switch has an orange lead that supposed to go to the fuse panel. That lead (the orange one from the ignition) was used for the aftermarket fuel gauge (don’t ask, beyond me why he chose that connection). There has been an aftermarket A/C system installed, looks period correct form a company called ARA. I believe when they installed the A/C system they rerouted power the power line as the fuse panel for that orange lead has voltage to it when started. The second issue, there are two leads that have been cut from the A/C panel, a blue wire and black wire. I believe they go to the compressor but it’s missing. I’ll have to source one at some point. If anybody is familiar with the ARA unit that could point me in the right direction I would appreciate the assistance. I know it’s a long shot but an installation guide or schematic of the unit would be unbelievably helpful!

Old 10-02-2014, 07:36 AM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
A.R.A was an aftermarket a/c supplier. I don't know if they're still in business or not.
The parts they used were pretty much universal off the shelf parts and can probably be found online or at vintage a/c suppliers like Nostalgic Air or Vintage Air.
When it comes to the compressor, the one that they used was the garden variety York. If you replace it, seriously consider switching to the Sanden style compressor. Lighter, quieter, more efficient and cheaper than the york.
Nostalgic Air has the brackets and compressor if you want to do the conversion.
Nostalgic AC - Aftermarket Air Conditioning For Automobiles

My '73 has a 390 with factory air. I switched to the Sanden style compressor to get away from the noisy York.

Attached Images  
Old 10-02-2014, 08:52 AM
kboldin
Cross-Country
Nice looking setup mikeo0o0o0 !! Went to the Nostalgic AC - Aftermarket Air Conditioning For Automobiles website and found an installation guide for our trucks. The wiring is simple, looks like three leads, ignition, compressor and ground. I think that will solve the problem nicely! BACK TO WORK!!!!!!!!

Old 04-07-2015, 11:13 PM
hoss73ford
Elder User
That is one beautiful motor !! No chrome garbage that so many are obsessed with today (when I buy one that has chrome stuff, I toss that junk in the scrap pile) In recent years when inquiring about a truck, car, etc, when someone's done a bunch of modifications, I run and run fast.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:01 AM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by hoss73ford
That is one beautiful motor !! No chrome garbage that so many are obsessed with today (when I buy one that has chrome stuff, I toss that junk in the scrap pile) In recent years when inquiring about a truck, car, etc, when someone's done a bunch of modifications, I run and run fast.
Thanks, I agree that a lot of people go overboard on chrome, I'm going for a stock look even though it's mildly modified.
Over the years, I've learned that probably the worst thing that could ever happen to our trucks is a "previous owner".