Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Compare Baro,EBP,MAP on TorquePro

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 12:18 AM
Cell's
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compare Baro,EBP,MAP on TorquePro

After lurking and reading lots of posts about how Baro , EBP and MAP sensors should read the same on TorquePro , MINE DON'T .

I believe Tugly and Pickacku said something to the fact that a sensor could be biased .

So I started saving my Loonies and Toonies to buy a new EBP sensor and MAP sensor .

From the local stealership I paid $198 for the EBP sensor and $231 for the MAP sensor .

With KOEO on TorquePro

BARO - 14.5 (correct for my elevation)
EBP - 15.3 (sensor and tube cleaned)
MAP - 12.3

I'm going to replace 1 sensor at a time and check for differences and post back here .

Which sensor should I replace first ?? I'm thinking MAP sensor myself .

Any thoughts ??

Old 10-02-2014, 05:24 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
That' $170 (US) for an EBP and $200 for a MAP sensor. Please do not open either box - send them back to the stealership. We would all feel terrible witnessing the hosing of a brother. Click this [LINK] and this [LINK].

Don't ask me why I can't find both with either vendor.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Cell's
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank-you Tugly for your concern at how much I'm getting screwed by buying the parts at the Ford stealership . When I was deciding that I was going to have to buy new sensors , I did check with RiffRaff and saw the price he was charging . But by the time I convert my shytty canadian $ , plus pay broker fees at the border , plus pay additional shipping to get it to my door , it's a pain in the wallet for sure .

This morning I swapped in the new MAP sensor and then checked it with TorquePro . The readings are

BARO - 14.5
EBP - 15.3
MAP - 12.5

I'm confused as to why when I unplug the MAP sensor and look at TorquePro , the reading I get is 14.4 . Can anyone explain this ??

I'm going to go over the PID's on TorquePro again and again and see that I have them inputted properly .

Old 10-02-2014, 02:33 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I was fearful of that. I heard of one other instance of the same thing with a MAP, but it was on AE (I think). The formula I posted has had the readings verified with AE and a boost gauge on Stinky.

This makes me wonder if the truck is modified in any way.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:43 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Cell's
I'm confused as to why when I unplug the MAP sensor and look at TorquePro , the reading I get is 14.4 . Can anyone explain this ??
Much like the ICP sensor, with the MAP sensor unplugged, the PCM will use and report an inferred pressure value based on other known engine parameters. If you were to look at MAP voltage, it would be a different story. Actually, checking MAP voltage would be a good idea. Then that value can be checked to see what it translates to pressure-wise.

Old 04-03-2022, 10:56 PM
dieseldogtom
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I REALLY HATE the way these threads just end & we never get to the bottom/answer!
OP STOPPED Communication on October 2014? Sure hope he is O.K.
I'm just bumping / commenting here because I am now involved with MAP learning curve.
Maybe I am not skilled at checking the post I am reading to make sure it matches a 7.3 diesel of some specific model year range. I just watched one video showing all the little checks I could do with a multi meter for voltage(s). Then other readings say you need a Frequency (Hz) type reading meter to know anything!!!!!! WTF!!!!!
I'm thinking/hoping my 2003 E-350 7.3 is sending voltage signals to the PCM in the signal line so I can at least get some information on it's condition. Then there is all the Vacuum vs. Pressure talk/comments. I am thinking I have learned that in a GAS ENGINE the line is/must be & the sensor measures a VACUUM from the Intake Manifold BUT in our DIESELS it's a PRESSURE (as in Boost pressure) as in created by out turbos , That the sensor is measuring so it's not ESSENTIAL to use a vacuum rated line???????
Anyone get bumps on these old posts here?????????????